LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

m barrows on mckillop...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I mean I think he did good this past year and he can only get better......
give the guy some time, he was a rookie and a 5th round pick
It's great to be looking at ILB's, just like any other position, but we have far greater needs.
That's what I said from day one - he's Derek Smith II. I actually thought this was a Singletary pick given how in love he was with Derek and they are the same type of player. Maybe not now...
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
So our coaching staff gives up on guys after one season? Suspect reporting.
Originally posted by TX9R:
So our coaching staff gives up on guys after one season? Suspect reporting.

I wouldn't say give up, more along the lines of disappointment with him.
I was hoping we would have drafted Jasper Brinkley
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
5th round rookie, didn't expect much. He should be better this year. If anything I think he would be Willis' backup. McKillop was a tackling machine.

He surpassed my expectations by far! He was all over the place when on ST and has potential to get better. Besides, who expects a 5th round rookie to be ready to take over a starting LB spot 1 year??

As to McC... Kudos to him if this kid is able to be ready by 2011.
Another McCloughan reach/wasted pick [see, Wallace, Coffee, Brandon williams, and all the qbs he tried to turn into WRs]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rapid4:
Another McCloughan reach/wasted pick [see, Wallace, Coffee, Brandon williams, and all the qbs he tried to turn into WRs]

How many QB's did we draft that we tried to convert to WR ? Last I counted it was 1.

Going into last year's draft we lacked depth at ILB and we took a guy who was picked where the consensus said he would likely go. Yeah that seems wasted

Throwing 2 players under the bus by calling them wasted after 1 year.

This post being well thought out and chalk full of logic.

Originally posted by KRS-1:

How many QB's did we draft that we tried to convert to WR ? Last I counted it was 1.

Going into last year's draft we lacked depth at ILB and we took a guy who was picked where the consensus said he would likely go. Yeah that seems wasted

We tried to turn the other one into a running back.

One of the least attractive parts of the Nolan Years was this business about moving positions.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

One of the least attractive parts of the Nolan Years was this business about moving positions.

He was talking about WR's though. However both MRob and McKillop have been good ST'ers to date, an always underrated part of any football team.

Those were both risk picks though (MRob and Marshall), and if you don't take the risk you don't get the reward, and it isn't like we blew a 1st or 2nd round pick on either. Teams do it every year and sometimes you find a player that can carve a role on your team. It's not like we were taking players in every draft and making drastic position changes. QB to WR is a common move, and in MRob's case he had played at RB and WR at Penn State as well as QB.

Yes, Mckillop is a reach if not a waste -- picked as a LB, but just a special teamer. Coffee was not picked where the consensus said he would likely go -- we picked him a lot higher. QB to WR -- Marshall, Battle, plus Mrob - qb to rb. Wallace was a wasted pick -- he's played about one series in two years.
Originally posted by crabman82:
matt barrows is saying the niners arent sold on mckillop as spikes back up, i know this aint earth shattering news, but we just picked him in the 5th round last year and already hes being tagged as nothing more than a sp teamer? gotta improve that mid round drafting

orly???
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

That annoyed me too, but it was usually a late round pick (besides Robinson in the 4th)
Share 49ersWebzone