LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 161 users in the forums

49ers | Giving McCloughan leave of absence

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Right before the draft...

This is the end of the world, now we will draft players like Kentwan Balmer, David Bass, Brandon Williams, Jay More, and.... Wait never mind, that was McCloughan!

Here's to future, and hopefully our best draft in years!
I'm worried about down the road from now...let's say he doesn't come back then we hire a new GM that eventually wants "His" coach and Singletary is out. It's like freakin groundhog day at the Niners Facility.
  • Veteran
Did they drug test SM and he failed?
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by luv49rs:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
I really have no idea what any of this means.

Are we really suppose to believe that he is going through some extraordinary personal issue?

Why is it so hard to believe?

This happens all the time, whether it be for health issues (Urban Meyer), to be closer to your family (Bill Cowher), or for personal issues (Tiger Woods).

Well I just find it hard to believe because everybody has personal issues. Getting a LOA solely for these personal issues is smack dab in the middle of special treatment land. But usually, such special treatment comes at a price, that being disclosure. People will want to know what makes your problems so much more pressing than mine.

So if it really is personal stuff, I would think Scotty would be telling us the nature of this issue.

perhaps because its none of our business

Hmmm, I don't know about that. He is a GM of a business whose customers are fans. With power and influence comes transparency.

Other employees. Do you have any idea how many people show up to work at 4949 Centiennial while coping with their own personal issues? I would say they are entitled some explanation.

Strictly speaking, true, it is not our business.....but IMO, you would have to be a pretty big a*****e not to enlighten the very people you have let down, even if only vaguely.

he's an a*****e because he might want to keep his personal business private? The only people he owes an explanation to are in the 49er organization; as a fan he owes me nothing
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
"Longstanding personal issues" sounds like drugs and/or alcohol.

McCrackhead

Are we really suppose to believe that he is going through some extraordinary personal issue?

This happens all the time, whether it be for health issues (Urban Meyer), to be closer to your family (Bill Cowher), or for personal issues (Tiger Woods).

Well I just find it hard to believe because everybody has personal issues. Getting a LOA solely for these personal issues is smack dab in the middle of special treatment land. But usually, such special treatment comes at a price, that being disclosure. People will want to know what makes your problems so much more pressing than mine.

So if it really is personal stuff, I would think Scotty would be telling us the nature of this issue.

Hmmm, I don't know about that. He is a GM of a business whose customers are fans. With power and influence comes transparency.

Other employees. Do you have any idea how many people show up to work at 4949 Centiennial while coping with their own personal issues? I would say they are entitled some explanation.

Strictly speaking, true, it is not our business.....but IMO, you would have to be a pretty big a*****e not to enlighten the very people you have let down, even if only vaguely.

I'm sure that the truth will leak out at some point, but I don't blame them for keeping this internal for the time being. Whatever personal issue he is having could reflect negatively on the organization, hurt his chances of recovering, or it might even be a criminal matter that can't be discussed at this time. Whatever the issue is, we will just have to be patient and hope that the team built enough redundancy into the system to have people that can step in without a drop off. I wish Scot nothing but good luck right now.
No worries fans, The ownership and selected members of the senior management will handle this year's draft personally.
Originally posted by socal81:
I'm worried about down the road from now...let's say he doesn't come back then we hire a new GM that eventually wants "His" coach and Singletary is out. It's like freakin groundhog day at the Niners Facility.

First, if Singletary gets this team into the playoffs next year he will be a coach on the rise and the team would purposely hire a GM that was willing and able to work with him.

Second, my only concern is who will have finally say on draft day?
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

McCrackhead

I'm starting wish I was someplace without wifi.
It's never good to lose your GM a month until the draft, no matter who it is, unless it is Millen.

The Niners have two picks also in the 1st... this is not good news. The GM is suppose to at least supply a "vision" for the construction of the team.

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

McCrackhead

he's an a*****e because he might want to keep his personal business private? The only people he owes an explanation to are in the 49er organization; as a fan he owes me nothing

You are looking at it too narrowly.

No, he is not an a*****e for wanting his private stuff kept private.

Again, I am going to stress this all day if I have to. EVERYBODY has Personal issues.

Here is how I keep my personal issues private. I don't miss work. I don't bail on my team a few weeks before implementing the biggest project of the year. What a concept right?

Thats how you keep your s**t private. Once you have been exposed that you can't do your job anymore because of this ever so secret personal issue that people are just so suppose to assume is much deeper problems than their own.....thats when you start looking like a douche
Originally posted by jed_york:
No worries fans, The ownership and selected members of the senior management will handle this year's draft personally.

If Jed York decides to play Al Davis or Jerry Jones, I might openly weep. When an owner decides to take it upon himself to micromanage his team, the results have only been disastrous: Al Davis has made his team into a joke, Jerry Jones fields a team that underachieves every year, and Daniel Snyder has ruined the career of many high priced free agents while managing to make one of the sport's legends (Joe Gibbs) look like an idiot. Please Jed, say it ain't so!
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

McCrackhead

"You stay classy San Francisco!"

but yeah addiction/health issues seems to be the frontrunners at the moment

You are looking at it too narrowly.

No, he is not an a*****e for wanting his private stuff kept private.

Again, I am going to stress this all day if I have to. EVERYBODY has Personal issues.

Here is how I keep my personal issues private. I don't miss work. I don't bail on my team a few weeks before implementing the biggest project of the year. What a concept right?

Thats how you keep your s**t private. Once you have been exposed that you can't do your job anymore because of this ever so secret personal issue that people are just so suppose to assume is much deeper problems than their own.....thats when you start looking like a douche

Lol you guys don't even know what's wrong with the guy and here u guys are ripping the dude apart.
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Mar 18, 2010 at 3:10 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone