LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

49ers | Giving McCloughan leave of absence

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Roxy:
I'm sorry. I am all for having compassion when someone is struggling, and letting them do what they need to do in order to work through the harder challenges in life, but he is the General Manager of an NFL franchise. He needs to be more functional and competent than the insurance agent or the software programmer. Needing to bail on his NFL franchise 5 weeks before the draft for personal reasons relating to a divorce is a sign that he is not up to the task of being a GM in the National Football League.

Read Walsh's history. Homeboy was having nervous breakdowns due to Eddie riding him and his wife threatening to leave, and he rode it out. Tony Dungee's son killed himself and he was coaching again within a month or so (a dubious decision IMHO). Did you ever hear of Polian or Ron Wolf doing something like this? My point is that at this level you should be extremely high functioning and committed and if you are not, maybe it's time to play western scout again. Sorry Scott, but if this is about divorce or your personal demons, then I truly wish you the best, but I also feel like you've really let the team down.

Have you considered that maybe it was the higher ups that decided that it was best to give him time vs. McC wanting to step down????

OHHH MMAAAHHHHH FFFUUUCCCKKKIIINNNNGGGGGGGGG GGGGAAAAWWWWDDDD!!!!

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This is really sad, I think I recall McCloughan's bio mentioning that he had 3 little kids! -Those children will be scarred for life.

Welcome to the modern "family." The U.S. has over a 50% divorce rate and it is the kids that pay the harshest price.

The divorce rate is around 70% in CA. Among the highest in the nation.

Seriously, if you're parents are not divorced, you're not normal.
Scotty was getting his Madness on today

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/03/mccloughan-watc.html
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by kidash:
To all the posters saying good riddance to McC before this tidbit came to light, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!

If you haven't been through a divorce and know nothing about the subject, y'all should just keep your mouth shut!

Nor can I understand the people who say that McCloughan should be continuing to work at this time of his life.

-9fA

I don't know nothing about going through a divorce. Nor do I care about McClueless's divorce. I'm just glad he is not our GM anymore.

I also think it shows how soft he is if can't continue to work during this.

Strong men are leaders and clearly McClueless is not a leader.

susweel, you mah boy and all, but clearly this is where we differ in opinions... The fact that you stated that you know nothing about divorce says it all...

Originally posted by vrabbit:
did anyone email the Matt's with this info about this divorce possibly being Scotty's? (the 49ers GM)

I just did

Hours ago, son.

Originally posted by Roxy:
I'm sorry. I am all for having compassion when someone is struggling, and letting them do what they need to do in order to work through the harder challenges in life, but he is the General Manager of an NFL franchise. He needs to be more functional and competent than the insurance agent or the software programmer. Needing to bail on his NFL franchise 5 weeks before the draft for personal reasons relating to a divorce is a sign that he is not up to the task of being a GM in the National Football League.

Read Walsh's history. Homeboy was having nervous breakdowns due to Eddie riding him and his wife threatening to leave, and he rode it out. Tony Dungee's son killed himself and he was coaching again within a month or so (a dubious decision IMHO). Did you ever hear of Polian or Ron Wolf doing something like this? My point is that at this level you should be extremely high functioning and committed and if you are not, maybe it's time to play western scout again. Sorry Scott, but if this is about divorce or your personal demons, then I truly wish you the best, but I also feel like you've really let the team down.

I agree. He has about 300 people depending on him to do right. The coaches, payers, owener and heck...even the fans. That means he has millions of people depending on him.
To leave over a divorce is just fishy.
Personal:

1. Of, affecting, or belonging to a particular person rather than anyone else.

2. Of or concerning one's private life, relationships, and emotions rather than matters connected to one's public or professional career.

Personnel:

people employed in an organization or engaged in an organized undertaking such as military service.
  • Ang
  • Hall of Fame
To all the posters saying good riddance to McC before this tidbit came to light, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!

If you haven't been through a divorce and know nothing about the subject, y'all should just keep your mouth shut!

Sometimes people forget that these players, coaches, etc, that we talk about here every day, ARE REAL PEOPLE WITH REAL FAMILIES, AND REAL LIFE ISSUES. Don't let it hit home Oliver...it's just not worth it.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Nor can I understand the people who say that McCloughan should be continuing to work at this time of his life.

-9fA

I don't know nothing about going through a divorce. Nor do I care about McClueless's divorce. I'm just glad he is not our GM anymore.

I also think it shows how soft he is if can't continue to work during this.

Strong men are leaders and clearly McClueless is not a leader.

I don't know anything about divorces either but I can understand if a person needs a leave of absence to settle personal issues.

I guess I don't judge a person if they're a leader or if they're 'hard' based on whether they can work through a divorce.

The way I see it, some people need the leave, some don't. To me, it's as plain and simple as that.

-9fA
Originally posted by skibeerski:

I agree with you kidash. No matter how you felt about his performance as a GM it wasn't for a lack of trying. And that is likely the very reason he's getting a divorce. So in essence, he sacraficed his personal life for the niners. Divorce sucks, especially with kids involved. Good luck to you Scotty.

This.
[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Mar 18, 2010 at 4:27 PM ]

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
did anyone email the Matt's with this info about this divorce possibly being Scotty's? (the 49ers GM)

I just did

Hours ago, son.

MB just replied, says he knows about that and that it might be relevant at some point but for now it's not.
[ Edited by vrabbit on Mar 18, 2010 at 4:28 PM ]
The dude's got 3 little kids and you're saying he needs to be strong and not let this get to him as much?

You people need to go outside. At the end of the day, this is a f*cking game. Being a father to his kids is far more important than the NFL draft. What a joke.
And the QB competition begins!! Head coach really doesn't have anyone to answer to and Smith's main backer is out.
If it's really just a leave of absense and all about the divorce I wouldn't doubt that McCloughan takes some personal time now but ends up back in the saddle over draft weekend.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This is really sad, I think I recall McCloughan's bio mentioning that he had 3 little kids! -Those children will be scarred for life.

Welcome to the modern "family." The U.S. has over a 50% divorce rate and it is the kids that pay the harshest price.

The divorce rate is around 70% in CA. Among the highest in the nation.

Seriously, if you're parents are not divorced, you're not normal.

Hahahaha personally, I might be mentally psychotic (or borderline), but actually... my parents are still married (and have been for almost 40 years).

IT'S A REVERSED PARADOX!
Share 49ersWebzone