There are 228 users in the forums

GM McCloughan (possibly) stepping down????

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RichnSanRamon:
Wait folks. Why is it that comments can't be posted on Maiocco's blog? That is unusual.

Second, what is this "3 hours to respond" jazz? That does not sound like Maiocco either.

Third, nothing from Barrows at all.

I putting the odds of this being a hoax at 30%.

Maiocco's twitter would've had to be hacked as well, I don't think it's a hoax, or if it is, it's an extremeley elaborate one.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Somebody hold me....

Hugs Oakland

WTF! That better be a gun in your pocket....
Originally posted by Niners23:
The fact that the niners did not pursue other GMs when they were available earlier in the year suggests that this is a relatively new development. My best guess is that McCloughan threw some sort of hissy fit about his power being subverted by Singletary or some other person, and is threatening to step down, which is why all the 49ers bigwigs met today to coddle him or work something out.

best guess so far
The fact that the niners did not pursue other GMs when they were available earlier in the year suggests that this is a relatively new development. My best guess is that McCloughan threw some sort of hissy fit about his power being subverted by Singletary or some other person, and is threatening to step down, which is why all the 49ers bigwigs met today to coddle him or work something out.

Your scenario sounds very possible. I also wonder if maybe Holmgren wants him in Cleveland.
Originally posted by vrabbit:

best guess so far

me agree
what a dick!!!!!!!!!! He needs to stick it through the draft....or that is just sheisty as hell
Why is everyone so high on Brian Billick to be hired? We all know Ozzie Newsome is the GM, he built the Baltimore Ravens. Not Brian Billick!
so what, we're going to know at midnight?
An organization can't win with this type of instability. He needs to stay. Everyone needs to stay! Can't we go one off season without some sort of massive change.
  • Veteran
Here:
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/03/mccloughan-considering-stepping-down-as-gm.html
[ Edited by 190836 on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:57 PM ]

Ok, if this is real

Think about it -- McLoughlan was a Nowin Hire when Jed was not in charge.

This COULD be Jed making his final move for power, ala Michael Corleone

Jed Sh*tcanning the GM a month before the draft seem impetuous but it also seems to be a clear shot across the bow that Jed is in charge. The scouts will do the board, etc.

Hell, the Zone could tell the team who to pick

The more I think about this the more I think this is Jed scuttling the old regime of his father and embarking on HIS path.

Eventually, the real story will come out. If that is true, then Jed really has control over the team, which is a GOOD thing compared to his parents.

I'd rather have a passionate owner than a Chris Cohan. Jed wants to win. And badly. It really is his raison d'etre
Originally posted by 84SheepDog:
Hopefully if he leaves they don't just give Singletary free reign. I'd want them to bring in some seriously qualified talent evaluators (hopefully from the Belichek/Pioli tree).

Singletary has proven nothing to me as a talent evaluator. s**t, he hasn't really proven to be a successful head coach yet. WHY THE f**k would we want him to be a "GM/HC?"

f**king hell.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
LMAO at all the drama theories you guys are throwing out there

Bunch of damn conspiracy theorists!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners94:
An organization can't win with this type of instability. He needs to stay. Everyone needs to stay! Can't we go one off season without some sort of massive change.

Originally posted by GEEK:
Good, and here's why:

#1. McCloughan doesn't come from the background of a vertical offense. He comes from WCO teams. Seattle and Green Bay as the top recent teams he's worked for before the 49ers.

#2. McCloughan was given GM powers because Nolan was doing bad as a head coach and he may have left for other opportunities. He was in a position of high leverage to earn that GM title.

#3. People credit McCloughan for drafting Gore and Willis, but it actually occurred under Nolan's tenure as the lead guy for personal decisions.

#4. Under McCloughan's power, we've drafted the following players in the first three rounds:

R1: Kentwan Balmer (Backup, potential bust)
R2: Chilo Rachal (borderline starter, needs to step up his game)
R3: Reggie Smith (Backup, injured plauged, potential bust)

R1: Michael Crabtree (no brainer pick, good job)
R2: Traded Away
R3: Glen Coffee (bust in his first year, backup player to Gore for right now)

And our free agency activity hasn't really been stellar outside of Justin Smith and Takeo Spikes. You got guys like DeMetic Evans, Brandon Jones, and now David Carr to secure depth at the 3rd or 2nd string level. That doesn't really make a 7-9 team jump to 10-6.

#5. The trading of Shaun Hill and the treatment of the player was basically the nail in the coffin for him. You take a player that is loved in the locker room and admired by the coaching staff, and trade him...without even notifying him directly. That's classless and Nolanesque.

In order for teams to be effective, owners must trust management, management must trust players, and players must believe in the other two. This is how the Patriots did it, and this is how the 49ers did it in the 80s and 90s.

With McCloughan's track record and inactivity in free agency and the draft to give Singletary a fair shot in 2010, while teams like Seattle and Arizona are gearing up to pose another threat for the NFC West crown, this is a necessary move.
Well this is just fantastic news What next? Stadium bill gets shot down? Jed hangs himself? We trade Willis? 2012? *knocks on biggest piece of wood in sight*
Share 49ersWebzone