There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So There WILL Be A QB Competition This Year

Originally posted by excelsior:
We have a group of posters on this site who adopt each new face as their darling heart-throb. First it was JTO, then it was Hill, then it was Davis, now it is Carr. Why can't these people just wait until someone has proven beyond doubt that they are the answer? With very little to go on, there are some who cannot understand why Davis isn't the declared starter. With Carr having a meager history, how can they believe that Carr should beat out Smith? They could be right, but more likely they live in a dream world. Hope and change.

To maximize Alex's opportunity to improve this year, he is going to need maximum reps with the starters all through TC and beyond. I have often heard that Alex was the hardest worker on the team, so I have trouble relating to the argument that Carr's presence is needed to "push" him.

very well said
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Carr is here as a safety blanket for 2011. I really don't think he has a shot at 'winning' the starting job during OTAs and training camp. If Smith falters then we will let him go and look for a QB in the draft. This will allow us to stay competitive with Carr as the starter in 2011 and develop two young QB's (along with Nate Davis if he still is on the roster).

*I should note that I am using the term 'falter' really loosely here. Essentially, if Smith performs like he did last season he will be gone. He needs to improve to earn an extension.

If Smith performs like last year for a full season he will not be gone and he has improved each season he's played.If he regresses then he should no doubt be released

It boggles the mind that some people insinuate he had a terrible season last year

I guess it's the usual Smith bashing in place of reality....
If there is a competition, then we fail in my opinion. I think raye, Johnson, and a lot of others, as well as us, can't wait till next season. And finally bask in the glow of CONTINUITY.

Not looking to argue, but I mean come on people. Every new f/a qb we get u wanna start em, and how's that worked for us. The last full year any qb played the entire season was alex in 06. (I forgot how many years prior). But it's been a minute.

Now smith and the entire offense, would have all of Ota's, tc, preseason, with continuity as a whole, and make mistakes and great plays. They ride together or they die together.

If Smith fails, his ass is gone next yea,r and uh oh, we have Carr and Davis, dukin it out to start. Now sounds good right! Then oh no, we pick up a vet qb. Let's start him now cuz he's proven. Now it's a what, a 3 way competition, lol. And he's gonna come in and lead us in his first year, with wasted time in a competition. Stability wins championships, not a new Qb competition.

Carr speaks of confidence and that's a good thing, but if he plays this year, other than coming in for smith, if he's injured, then it won't bode well for us, and we can kiss da playoffs goodbye.
Oh no. What have I done. Mod-gods forgive me. I've created an Alex Smith vs ______ thread and my intentions were to help spur discussion about the dual language Singletary used(s).

"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." - Robert Oppenheimer
[ Edited by NinerGM on Mar 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM ]
It amazes me how so many people on this site have become satisfied with mediocre play at the QB position. If we had a decent QB in '09 we woulda been a playoff team....guarantee!
We have a top 10 defense, a pro bowl running back, a pro bowl tight end, and an up and coming star at reciever, and most of all we have a PIPE DREAM that small hands will develop into a serviceable QB.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BigBug415:
It amazes me how so many people on this site have become satisfied with mediocre play at the QB position. If we had a decent QB in '09 we woulda been a playoff team....guarantee!
We have a top 10 defense, a pro bowl running back, a pro bowl tight end, and an up and coming star at reciever, and most of all we have a PIPE DREAM that small hands will develop into a serviceable QB.

So who do you suggest replace him? I ask because I don't care what dream you live in Carr has been by no means more effective than Smith at all.
Originally posted by Antix:

So who do you suggest replace him? I ask because I don't care what dream you live in Carr has been by no means more effective than Smith at all.

Maybe a little.....
David Carr

8 seasons
TD–INT 65-70
Passing yards 14,366
QB Rating 75.2

First overall pick of 2002 NFL Draft, the expansion Houston Texans.
Best season:
61.2 %
3,531 yards
16 TD
14 INT
83.5 rating

Alex Smith

5 seasons
TD-INT 37-43
Passing yards 7,029
QB Rating 69.2

First overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers.
Best season:
60.5 %
2,350 yards
18 TD
12 INT
81.5 rating

I'm not trying to be funny, but I honestly think Carr is better than Smith.
[ Edited by BigBug415 on Mar 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM ]
David Carr will beat out Alex Smith this year like Shaun Hill beat him out last year.

Sad but true.

Shaun Hill beat out Alex Smith last year? That' odd. Smith is the starter and Hill is not on the team anymore. I'm missing something here.
Alex Smith will have his best (and last) chance to secure the starting gig for years to come. If he does, the niner brass resign him; if not, then hit the road. Nate gets another year of seasoning.

Carr is an insurance policy and another player with a lot to prove.
Given the current situation... With what we have. The best bet for the team is alex smith. Anyone considering carr besides in the case of utter outplayed of alex or alex getting injured... Is retarded.
..........just don't say it out loud. Use you inner voice so no one gets upset.
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by excelsior:
We have a group of posters on this site who adopt each new face as their darling heart-throb. First it was JTO, then it was Hill, then it was Davis, now it is Carr. Why can't these people just wait until someone has proven beyond doubt that they are the answer? With very little to go on, there are some who cannot understand why Davis isn't the declared starter. With Carr having a meager history, how can they believe that Carr should beat out Smith? They could be right, but more likely they live in a dream world. Hope and change.

To maximize Alex's opportunity to improve this year, he is going to need maximum reps with the starters all through TC and beyond. I have often heard that Alex was the hardest worker on the team, so I have trouble relating to the argument that Carr's presence is needed to "push" him.

very well said

Perfectly put and I agree. That's why there is no point in arguing with people about this. I see their point to a certain extent because until Alex erases all the doubt, this will happen every time. I just think its hilarious that some posters were so vehemently against signing Carr...only to then flip the switch and say..."Dood he kud starht!"

Bottom line though: people love a cinderella type story. The "lowly" back up/washed up has been comes along and tough talks and has a "chip on his shoulder," and everyone falls in love with his go getter/edgy attitude. Then everyone hates the young up and comer who hasnt proved himself and is getting paid....well in this case...exactly the same LOL.

"BUT HE STOLZ 31 MILLYUN..."
Originally posted by BigDaddy:

Maybe a little.....
David Carr

8 seasons
TD–INT 65-70
Passing yards 14,366
QB Rating 75.2

First overall pick of 2002 NFL Draft, the expansion Houston Texans.
Best season:
61.2 %
3,531 yards
16 TD
14 INT
83.5 rating

Alex Smith

5 seasons
TD-INT 37-43
Passing yards 7,029
QB Rating 69.2

First overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers.
Best season:
60.5 %
2,350 yards
18 TD
12 INT
81.5 rating

The term "season" is mis leading here, as Alex Smith posted those numbers in 10 games, sharing 1st team reps, and not having Crabtree until he came in.
So my "No QB Competition" thread gets closed because I was predicting a stupid QB competition again, which looks like it's becoming truer as everyday goes by and Singletary doesn't step in to announce Smith as the starter for this team, but this one gets to stay open?

Why?
[ Edited by Method on Mar 15, 2010 at 11:22 PM ]