There are 214 users in the forums

Smith Better Than Cutler

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Looking over my fantasy league stuff I came across some good info. Smith in just the few games he has played has better numbers than many 1st stringer QB's. Look at Cutler, Sanchez, Garrard and well about 8-9 other QB's. Smith is doing better than most of them and he is doing it with much less play time so the other Qb's stats should be padded some. I think he is doing just fine. Want to see what he can do with a full season though.
Originally posted by brhokla:
Looking over my fantasy league stuff I came across some good info. Smith in just the few games he has played has better numbers than many 1st stringer QB's. Look at Cutler, Sanchez, Garrard and well about 8-9 other QB's. Smith is doing better than most of them and he is doing it with much less play time so the other Qb's stats should be padded some. I think he is doing just fine. Want to see what he can do with a full season though.

Cutler is INT prone
The Jets overly rely on Sanchez, a guy who had minimal starts in college
Garrard is on a run team

Smith better be doing better than these guys. But fantasy points don't judge how good a QB really is
  • NinerFaninIndy83
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by FourNine49:

Cutler is INT prone
Garrard is on a run team

Smith better be doing better than these guys. But fantasy points don't judge how good a QB really is

Buzz Kill
Originally posted by FourNine49:

Cutler is INT prone
Garrard is on a run team

I wouldn't say that the Jets "overly rely on Sanchez". Sanchez averages just 25 passing attempts/game - 31st in the league.

-9fA
fantasy league stuff?

fact is Cutler has twice as many wins as Smith. You can look at any statistic to skew your argument, but most people look at wins when you talk quarterbacks. Smith was 1-9 his last 10 starts before Sunday. Does that make Chris Redman a better QB than Culter and Smith?

Difference is now the 9er coaches are putting Smith in the best chance to succeed, if Lovie Smith wants to keep his job, he would too.
[ Edited by global_nomad on Dec 1, 2009 at 1:57 PM ]
Unfortunately It hasn't translated to real wins very often for The 49ers. 2-5. But I do appreciate the fact that Smith, Crabs, and VD have pulled me out of a fantasy basement. I'm the fantasy version of Titans thanks to Smith. I also waived Cutler to pick up Smith and I benched Orton. But unfortunately that's just a fantasy. Literally. Call me when Smith wins 4 of our next 5.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
fantasy league stuff?

fact is Cutler has twice as many wins as Smith. You can look at any statistic to skew your argument, but most people look at wins when you talk quarterbacks. Smith was 1-9 his last 10 starts before Sunday. Does that make Chris Redman a better QB than Culter and Smith?

Difference is now the 9er coaches are putting Smith in the best chance to succeed, if Lovie Smith wants to keep his job, he would too.

Funny how he was so good on a team with good WRs and a strong running game, but now not so much without it. Could it be that having a solid team around a QB actually is important?
Originally posted by VA49er:
Unfortunately It hasn't translated to real wins very often for The 49ers. 2-5. But I do appreciate the fact that Smith, Crabs, and VD have pulled me out of a fantasy basement. I'm the fantasy version of Titans thanks to Smith. I also waived Cutler to pick up Smith and I benched Orton. But unfortunately that's just a fantasy. Literally. Call me when Smith wins 4 of our next 5.

Where does the 2-5 come from? Hasn't Smith just made 5 starts this year?
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
fantasy league stuff?

Funny how he was so good on a team with good WRs and a strong running game, but now not so much without it. Could it be that having a solid team around a QB actually is important?

If he reunites with Shannihan he will be a winner again. Sometimes athlete's skills are set to certain systems. They are trying to pound a square peg into a round hole with Cutler this year. Was Derek Fisher any good in Golden State or Utah? No! But when he was put back into the triangle offense he became a better player. Look for Culter to ask to be reunited with a system he thrives in.
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
Yeah Cutler is garbage this year. I would expect Smith to be better. Jim McMahon left a curse on Chicago for QB's. Maybe Cutler needs to put on the headband for good luck.

• luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jerryricefan80:
Yeah Cutler is garbage this year. I would expect Smith to be better. Jim McMahon left a curse on Chicago for QB's. Maybe Cutler needs to put on the headband for good luck.

or start mowing his lawn wearing only a thong. it worked for McMahon
Smith is playing well. Not great but well.
He is better. Less interception prone and more reliable, steady decisions.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
fantasy league stuff?

Very true... A good group of WR's can make or break a QB. Smith is doing fine and it's not just his fault they haven't won every game. Poor play calling, bad Defense, Bad O-line play, some mistakes by Alex Smith, some dropped passes. It's the entire team not just Alex Smiths fault that the team has dropped some games. He has looked much better than what we had with Noodle Arm.
You can look at any statistic to skew your argument, but most people look at wins when you talk quarterbacks.

You're right, but those people are stupid also. Especially in a sport like football, looking at wins and losses of a team as a gauge of how good one player on that team is, well, that is just ridiculous (even if you're talking QB).
Share 49ersWebzone