LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

WCO Coming Back? Could It Be???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not sure if someone already considered this angle... Is it possible that the "powers that be" are a little unhappy with the way the offense built around Smith has been performing. Maybe, just maybe, the signing of Carr is an insurance policy so the organization can go back to a more QB-friendly situation... and quickly.

It takes a long time to establish an offense - if you don't have a QB to build it around. We've heard that our O-Coord is really good at building an Offense around his QBs. I have a sneaky suspicion that we will see a lot of West Coast type plays worked into our Offense this season.

The two systems aren't "mutually exclusive. Besides naming conventions, we can easily work many/most WCO plays into our current offense. This would help Alex too, but I think it's geared towards our running game, and Carr...

Remember - Carr is a WCO QB. He was drafted as such. The Houston team he played with tried hard to get it working - but they were an expansion team with no talent around him. They finally got a RB a couple of seasons ago, but by that time his confidence was gone in the organization and the talent around him, and perhaps himself.

I see his signing as similar to the Steve Young signing (not saying he's as good as Young), but, of course, there isn't a HOFer in front of him. Regardless, I think this is a good move.

Would love to see the WCO back...!!!
F*ck David Carr!

He sucks, he's always sucked, and he always will suck. He will never ever start for this team.

F*CK!!!!!
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
F*ck David Carr!

He sucks, he's always sucked, and he always will suck. He will never ever start for this team.

F*CK!!!!!
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
F*ck David Carr!

F*CK!!!!!

It's no good you holding back and just letting out the occasional hint. Say what you really think. We want to know.
I have a belly button.
I love turtles
boobies.
I sharted.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by egoonda:
Not sure if someone already considered this angle... Is it possible that the "powers that be" are a little unhappy with the way the offense built around Smith has been performing. Maybe, just maybe, the signing of Carr is an insurance policy so the organization can go back to a more QB-friendly situation... and quickly.

It takes a long time to establish an offense - if you don't have a QB to build it around. We've heard that our O-Coord is really good at building an Offense around his QBs. I have a sneaky suspicion that we will see a lot of West Coast type plays worked into our Offense this season.

The two systems aren't "mutually exclusive. Besides naming conventions, we can easily work many/most WCO plays into our current offense. This would help Alex too, but I think it's geared towards our running game, and Carr...

Remember - Carr is a WCO QB. He was drafted as such. The Houston team he played with tried hard to get it working - but they were an expansion team with no talent around him. They finally got a RB a couple of seasons ago, but by that time his confidence was gone in the organization and the talent around him, and perhaps himself.

I see his signing as similar to the Steve Young signing (not saying he's as good as Young), but, of course, there isn't a HOFer in front of him. Regardless, I think this is a good move.

Okay...so Carr means the WCO is coming back despite all other evidence to the contrary:

1. Carr is being brought in because his arm and skills are more like Smith's in being better suited to thrown the ball down the field.

2. Carr is replacing Hill, who is better suited for a WCO QB.

3. If they wanted to go to a WCO, wouldn't they bring in a WCO OC?

4. They're still using the digit system. Wouldn't they change to WCO language?

5. Would it be better to have your offense geared for your starting QB or the back-up? The digit system with more medium to long passes works best for Smith and that's what they're going to run next year.

The only way the 49ers become a WCO team again at this point is if they backslide now instead of taking the next step forward, Singletary and the coaching staff gets fired and they start over (again) with a new HC and OC who are WCO guys.
Flame it.

• evil
  • Veteran
Wait we are going to blend the WCO and digit system ?

This thread title should be renamed to Jim Hostler coming back to be the 49ers OC yet again ?
Originally posted by KRS-1:

This thread title should be renamed to Jim Hostler coming back to be the 49ers OC yet again ?

Wash your mouth out!
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Wash your mouth out!

Hostler is our only hope to return to glory!
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
no. and, no.
Originally posted by kem99:
Originally posted by egoonda:

Okay...so Carr means the WCO is coming back despite all other evidence to the contrary:

1. Carr is being brought in because his arm and skills are more like Smith's in being better suited to thrown the ball down the field.

2. Carr is replacing Hill, who is better suited for a WCO QB.

3. If they wanted to go to a WCO, wouldn't they bring in a WCO OC?

4. They're still using the digit system. Wouldn't they change to WCO language?

5. Would it be better to have your offense geared for your starting QB or the back-up? The digit system with more medium to long passes works best for Smith and that's what they're going to run next year.

The only way the 49ers become a WCO team again at this point is if they backslide now instead of taking the next step forward, Singletary and the coaching staff gets fired and they start over (again) with a new HC and OC who are WCO guys.

I'm not saying they will bring it in right away. I think we'll see some QB-friendly plays brought into the current digit system. There is room for it. The digit system - if you look at the development of it - has elements rooted in the initial WCO of Walsh/Wych, et el. I think this is a message to our O-Coord just as much as it is a message to Alex. I don't know if Sing brought him in (he is trying to sell it with the "arm" thing), or if the ORG decided it. They may be thinking (McCoughlin came from Seattle - a WCO team) they may have to fire the current O-Coord this year and dump Alex... Who knows?

Just postulating...
Share 49ersWebzone