LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Most depressing 49er game of your life?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dbdublin:
The most depressing 49er game of my life was the NFC Championship game after the 1983 season. Two 4th quarter pass interference calls (terrible calls) allowed the Redskins to kick a late game winning field goal. The refs gave the game to Washington. I'm still not over that game.

That one killed my soul too, its one thig to lose on a good play but when refs decide a game on a ghost calls---I still feel somebody should check if the guy was on the t......can't say it don't want to get sued.

The second was the championship game where we lost the chance for a three peat which would be a first.

Those two would have made us possibly the first to win 7 Sups.
When Ronnie Lott was called for a bs pass interference in the NFC title game against the Redskins...I believe it was the '83 season.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Born in '86.

The Vikings game this year was also the most depressing for me. Worse than the playoff losses when we had Jeff Garcia.

I don't know why, I think it's just the way that we lost. I wanted to throw up when it happened, I just saw on my couch in shock for a half hour.

I agree. That was going to be my response, but since you said it first, I'll just agree. That was a CRUSHING loss.
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
Born in '86.

The Vikings game this year was also the most depressing for me. Worse than the playoff losses when we had Jeff Garcia.

I don't know why, I think it's just the way that we lost. I wanted to throw up when it happened, I just saw on my couch in shock for a half hour.

I agree. That was going to be my response, but since you said it first, I'll just agree. That was a CRUSHING loss.

Didnt we only go to the playoffs once with Garcia? Where we lost to the bucs? I dont think he took us to the playoffs another time. I may be mistaken.

Oh wait...we lost the year before that to the Packers 25-15

[ Edited by JoseCortez on Feb 24, 2010 at 16:21:50 ]
the loss to GB in the NFC Championship game, 1997.

it was muddy, rainy, Young got hurt. Elvis Grbac had to finish off the slow and painful end to the season.
Originally posted by Niners99:
the loss to GB in the NFC Championship game, 1997.

it was muddy, rainy, Young got hurt. Elvis Grbac had to finish off the slow and painful end to the season.

Isn't that the game that Steve started with a bruised rib? If I remember correctly, he f*cked his ribs up vs. Philly the week before...that was one of the saddest days...
The loss to the Falcons in the 98 playoffs. Watching Garrison go for 7 yards and break his ankle in his first carry and watching our running game get stuffed for 4 quarters. Not the best feeling.

Especially since I ABSOLUTELY DETESTED the Falcons that season. Couldn't have picked a worst team to lose to.

That was such a well balanced team, we could have very likely made a run at the Super Bowl.

Hearst put up 1,500 yds, Rice putting up his usual numbers as if he hadn't torn up his knee the previous season, and an emerging TO putting up 1100 yards too. Not to mention JJ Stokes going for almost 800.

DAMN!
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
Born in '86.

Didnt we only go to the playoffs once with Garcia? Where we lost to the bucs? I dont think he took us to the playoffs another time. I may be mistaken.

Oh wait...we lost the year before that to the Packers 25-15

That Bucs game was just a disaster but the game before sort of softened that blow. I think I remember us leading the packers at half-time or at least tied in that game.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
The loss to the Falcons in the 98 playoffs. Watching Garrison go for 7 yards and break his ankle in his first carry and watching our running game get stuffed for 4 quarters. Not the best feeling.

Especially since I ABSOLUTELY DETESTED the Falcons that season. Couldn't have picked a worst team to lose to.

That was such a well balanced team, we could have very likely made a run at the Super Bowl.

Hearst put up 1,500 yds, Rice putting up his usual numbers as if he hadn't torn up his knee the previous season, and an emerging TO putting up 1100 yards too. Not to mention JJ Stokes going for almost 800.

DAMN!

Its horrible to say but I hated Jamal Anderson so much that I was happy the way the "dirty bird" died in the same way his career did.
Watching the Cowboys beat us on our own field in 92 while Joe Montana sat on the sideline. Steve young would later heal some of those wounds but I felt then that Joe had some better football in him. For that to be his last game in a 49ers uniform. I don't know that just still depresses me. I also believe we were a better team at that time with Joe behind the reigns.
Plus despite everything that Steve Young accomplished. When the chips are down I'll still take Joe 100 out of 100 times.

Originally posted by Niner3030:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

DAMN!

Its horrible to say but I hated Jamal Anderson so much that I was happy the way the "dirty bird" died in the same way his career did.

I know man, I don't think I have ever hated a team so much in any other season.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by wolfman61:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
the vikings game was nothing compared to the giants nfc championship in 1990. Craigs fumble with 3 minutes left to go. It ended our 3peat. I cried.

yep

x2

Yep! Horrible day!
By far for me was the 1990 NFC Championship game against the Giants..

Montana was knocked out by Leonard Marshall
Craig fumbles as we are trying to run out the clock
Matt Bahr kicks the game winning FG with 3 seconds left
Thus ending a possible 3-Peat a feat no other team has accomplished to date.

• kem99
  • Veteran
Without question, the 1987 playoff game against the Vikings. The 49ers were on a huge roll, were at home and everything was set for them to go to the SB...and then they came out, were flat and Anthony Carter went crazy. You know it was bad when Joe got benched and it wasn't because of an injury.

For all of the comments about the Craig fumble in 1990, I think people forget that they were the best team in the league going into the playoffs in '87 also. The "3-Peat" could have just as easily been 87-89 as 88-90.

That game also was the real genesis of Joe vs. Steve after Walsh pulled Joe, which then festered in the next few years until Joe was traded.
Originally posted by kem99:
Without question, the 1987 playoff game against the Vikings. The 49ers were on a huge roll, were at home and everything was set for them to go to the SB...and then they came out, were flat and Anthony Carter went crazy. You know it was bad when Joe got benched and it wasn't because of an injury.

For all of the comments about the Craig fumble in 1990, I think people forget that they were the best team in the league going into the playoffs in '87 also. The "3-Peat" could have just as easily been 87-89 as 88-90.

That game also was the real genesis of Joe vs. Steve after Walsh pulled Joe, which then festered in the next few years until Joe was traded.

I was at that game as well and it was horrible. One of the worst performances ever by a Niner team in the playoffs. Montana sucked, the defense was pathetic, and the 49ers were basically out of it at halftime. However, as far as being depressed nothing can compare to being 1 last second FG away from going for a 3 peat.

The 1990 NFC title game for me compares to Game 6 of the 2002 World Series for the most depressing game of my life.
Share 49ersWebzone