LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Most depressing 49er game of your life?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by kem99:
Without question, the 1987 playoff game against the Vikings. The 49ers were on a huge roll, were at home and everything was set for them to go to the SB...and then they came out, were flat and Anthony Carter went crazy. You know it was bad when Joe got benched and it wasn't because of an injury.

For all of the comments about the Craig fumble in 1990, I think people forget that they were the best team in the league going into the playoffs in '87 also. The "3-Peat" could have just as easily been 87-89 as 88-90.

That game also was the real genesis of Joe vs. Steve after Walsh pulled Joe, which then festered in the next few years until Joe was traded.

I was at that game as well and it was horrible. One of the worst performances ever by a Niner team in the playoffs. Montana sucked, the defense was pathetic, and the 49ers were basically out of it at halftime. However, as far as being depressed nothing can compare to being 1 last second FG away from going for a 3 peat.

The 1990 NFC title game for me compares to Game 6 of the 2002 World Series for the most depressing game of my life.

that f**king rally monkey still haunts me
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Without question, the 1987 playoff game against the Vikings. The 49ers were on a huge roll, were at home and everything was set for them to go to the SB...and then they came out, were flat and Anthony Carter went crazy. You know it was bad when Joe got benched and it wasn't because of an injury.

For all of the comments about the Craig fumble in 1990, I think people forget that they were the best team in the league going into the playoffs in '87 also. The "3-Peat" could have just as easily been 87-89 as 88-90.

That game also was the real genesis of Joe vs. Steve after Walsh pulled Joe, which then festered in the next few years until Joe was traded.

I was at that game as well and it was horrible. One of the worst performances ever by a Niner team in the playoffs. Montana sucked, the defense was pathetic, and the 49ers were basically out of it at halftime. However, as far as being depressed nothing can compare to being 1 last second FG away from going for a 3 peat.

The 1990 NFC title game for me compares to Game 6 of the 2002 World Series for the most depressing game of my life.

Originally posted by BHulman:
[But it HAS to be the 1991 Championship game against the Giants. Rice fumbling the ball, Lawrence Taylor taking it to the house and Jim Burt's killshot on Montana.

I didn't cry that day, but I know I drank waaay too much to kill the pain.

Burt's hit and Rice's fumble were in the 86 shellacking (49-3) the Giants gave to the Niners. I was just kind of dazed after that one. It was the 91 game against the Giants that still stings when I think about it.
That game actually took place in 1986.... Giants 49, 49ers 3.... I remember the announcers joking that this is the first time a team lost by their team name..
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

i would drown that monkey if given the chance

That game is so painful to think back on. We...had...it...to this day I wish Russ Ortiz would have been allowed to finish that inning.
Alex's 5 ints vs. the Colts? why? because we had just drafted him and the thought of being stuck with him for the next 5 years killed me.
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for sincalfaithful.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

That game is so painful to think back on. We...had...it...to this day I wish Russ Ortiz would have been allowed to finish that inning.

make it stop!!!
i cried for 30 minutes after game 7..i was 13
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with the '90 NFC Championship Game. I really couldn't believe we fcking lost that game.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
1. 90' NFC Championship game vs. NYG

2. 87' playoff game vs. MIN
3. 92' NFC Championship game vs. DAL
2009's game against the Falcons (I barely started actively watching games in the mid-2008 season).

After that game I lost most of the enthusiasm I had for us getting into the playoffs (or at least win two games in it).

I hope all sides of ball have grown from their 2009 season and are ready to lead this great team into the playoffs (and maybe to a SB...).

• Nebr49erfan
  • Info N/A
The losses to the NYG, DAL, and GB over the years all sucked.

But the game against TB when Rice was hurt and they really played like crap in the rain. That seemed to be the end of an era, like the beginning of the team looking fragile and old.
  • Fauqueirob
  • Info N/A
Dec. 05, 1980. We were living at Travis AFB, when our next door neighbor offered us tickets to the 49er - NO game at Candlestick that Sunday. Now, back then the Niners were awful - but they were definitely improving, especially offensively, despite the fact that Steve DeBerg was the starting QB. Anyway, something came up and we weren't able to go - but we figured no big loss. After all, it would have been like watching a Cleveland-Detroit game now. Woo-hoo...

Dec. 07, 1980; Halftime NO 35 SF 7: With the niners decimated by 3 Archie Manning TD's along with 2 rushing TD's before the half, 2nd year hc Bill Walsh decided it was about time to test out the tires on his rookie QB, who to this point was strictly...and unconventionally... used in red zone situations to give him a feel for the game.

The rest is history...

And we were too damn busy to witness the true beginnings of the dynasty...

S**t, s**t, s**t

MOST DEPRESSING THREAD OF YOUR LIFE???? ..............

THIS ONE.
Originally posted by Nebr49erfan:
The losses to the NYG, DAL, and GB over the years all sucked.

But the game against TB when Rice was hurt and they really played like crap in the rain. That seemed to be the end of an era, like the beginning of the team looking fragile and old.
Glad to see i am not the only one to mention this game. You're right. that was the beginning of a new, and sad chapter.
  • benton45
  • Info N/A
Either the Divisional game against the Falcons in 98 or the MNF game against the Cardinals in 99
Share 49ersWebzone