LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

Matt Maiocco will be on KNBR at 2:30PM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Adman
  • Veteran
If the Cards go after McNabb...then we HAVE to try and get him...bc McNabb in arizona would be worse than Kurt Warner in Arizona again!
Originally posted by Adman:
If the Cards go after McNabb...then we HAVE to try and get him...bc McNabb in arizona would be worse than Kurt Warner in Arizona again!

Dude McNabb isn't nearly as good as Warner. I would love it if the Cards got McNabb. Our defense would own him. Warner's always had a better arm, more accuracy, and gets the ball out faster than McNabb. He's been to 3 superbowls and won 1. McNabb always loses before he gets to the superbowl. Warner is a HOFer, McNabb probably isn't.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Dude McNabb isn't nearly as good as Warner. I would love it if the Cards got McNabb. Our defense would own him. Warner's always had a better arm, more accuracy, and gets the ball out faster than McNabb. He's been to 3 superbowls and won 1. McNabb always loses before he gets to the superbowl. Warner is a HOFer, McNabb probably isn't.

Warner is much better than McNabb, but our defense struggles against semi-mobile to mobile QBs. McNabb is much better at buying time than people think...in fact his pocket presence and his deep ball are probably the only 2 things he does good. I don't think he's really that accurate but I see him presenting more of a challenge to us in particular.
  • Adman
  • Veteran
McNabb with Fitz and Breaston and that kid from LSU?! Dangerous for us...

This division will not be a cake walk like we would expect without McNabb in it.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Warner is much better than McNabb, but our defense struggles against semi-mobile to mobile QBs. McNabb is much better at buying time than people think...in fact his pocket presence and his deep ball are probably the only 2 things he does good. I don't think he's really that accurate but I see him presenting more of a challenge to us in particular.

It depends. On one hand his mobility is declining, but he still was eluding some of our pass rushers(Haralson in particular). On the other hand, Warner got the ball out SO FAST that before we figured out their O this year we always had a hard time getting to him and he was a notorious niner killer. This year we covered their recievers a lot better and he had nowhere to go. McNabb is declining though. I would rather use our draft picks to try and hit home runs on guys who can help us for the next 5-10 years.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

It depends. On one hand his mobility is declining, but he still was eluding some of our pass rushers(Haralson in particular). On the other hand, Warner got the ball out SO FAST that before we figured out their O this year we always had a hard time getting to him and he was a notorious niner killer. This year we covered their recievers a lot better and he had nowhere to go. McNabb is declining though. I would rather use our draft picks to try and hit home runs on guys who can help us for the next 5-10 years.

I don't necessarily care that my QB is mobile, I just need him to be nimble in the pocket and have good feet. McNabb can't run away from defenders like he used to (unless you're Parys Haralson), but he still does a good job of stepping up/away from pass rushers to keep the play alive. To me, that's even more important than being able to take off and run with the ball (which he can still do fairly well too).

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 22, 2010 at 15:51:10 ]

[ Edited by PTulini on Feb 22, 2010 at 17:04:55 ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Putting our faith in Smith to lead us to the playoffs is plain stupid. If we have a chance to upgrade the QB position, we have to do it. End of story.

Smith getting us to playoffs is gonna happen.

Right after pigs fly.

Gettin' my shotgun and takin' home some bacon..flyin' hog tis gud eatin'...
Putting our faith in Smith to lead us to the playoffs is plain stupid. If we have a chance to upgrade the QB position, we have to do it. End of story.

that's a for the want of a nail situation though. McNabb is not going to represent a huge upgrade if he comes up here, point blank, period. learning a new system, receivers, oline, coaching staff, et al. would render him a whole lot less effective than he has been Philly.

Saying that we can't count on Smith, and then talking about bringing in a guy into a new system who has peaked physically, doesn't seem like a better option.
Rather not take a guy that would probably give us 2 quality years in exchange for a draft pick that could give us 5+ years just so we can pat ourselves on the back for making the playoffs.

The only reason for the playoffs is to win the Super Bowl so I would much rather work on building a team that could be serious Super Bowl contenders year in and year out much like the Patriots and Colts were this past decade than worrying about scraping together a team that's good enough to just get into the playoffs and maybe winning a game there.

[ Edited by Jikkle49 on Feb 23, 2010 at 12:13:40 ]

Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Rather not take a guy that would probably give us 2 quality years in him in exchange for a draft pick that could give us 5+ years just so we can pat ourselves on the back for making the playoffs.

The only reason for the playoffs is to win the Super Bowl so I would much rather work on building a team that could be serious Super Bowl contenders year in and year out much like the Patriots and Colts were this past decade than worrying about scraping together a team that's good enough to just get into the playoffs and maybe winning a game there.

I'm on this bandwagon
McNabb...seriously? Not happening...not now, not ever. Why? He's past his prime...he caved in twice to Dallas to miss the playoffs. I think some of you are holding on to his past glories...and not what he is now. We have the beginnings of some offensive continuity for the first time in years...let's not screw that up. The emphasis must be to improve a bad OL...Singletary's hired two new coaches to do just that. Next comes some young studs who can get the job done. Bring in Spiller...inject some real speed into the backfield and on ST's. Get Alex another receiver. Develop Nate Davis...those are the things that'll serve this team well in 2010 and beyond.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
McNabb...seriously? Not happening...not now, not ever. Why? He's past his prime...he caved in twice to Dallas to miss the playoffs. I think some of you are holding on to his past glories...and not what he is now. We have the beginnings of some offensive continuity for the first time in years...let's not screw that up. The emphasis must be to improve a bad OL...Singletary's hired two new coaches to do just that. Next comes some young studs who can get the job done. Bring in Spiller...inject some real speed into the backfield and on ST's. Get Alex another receiver. Develop Nate Davis...those are the things that'll serve this team well in 2010 and beyond.

I agree. Mcnabb isn't going to do any good for the niners. If we're going to get a QB via the trade, have it be an up and coming QB or a QB just hitting his prime, not a has been like McNabb.

Seeing how that would be highly unlikely, do the right thing and either work with what we got, or find someone via the draft. Thinking McNabb is a quick fix will be end up being valuable time lost that could have been used with another prospective qB
McNabb is one hit away from IR. In the last 5 seasons he's missed 17 games. He's old. If he was a pure pocket passer it wouldn't be a big deal but he tends to scramble and move around to create more time. How long do you guys really expect him to last?
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Pass on McChoke!!

7 years no playoffs, I would take a playoff choker in a New York minute right now.

I know u hate Smith, But seriously u think Mcnabb would come in and learn a complete different system and just automatically take us deep into the playoffs?

He cant win it all with the eagles, what makes u think he can even close with the niners?

He has been on some of the best talented/ most explosive teams in the past decade, not to mention in one system his entire career.

AND HE CHOKES!

Call me crazy, but I'd rather have our QB getting a chance to choke in the playoffs rather than in week 15 of yet another 7-9 season.

I don't think Smith was the main factor in us going 7-9.

I would put other things ahead of it: offensive system changes at the beginning and middle of the season, lots of personnel changes on offense and an undertalented oline.

Those were big problems. The lesser problems were: defensive inconsistency, lack of head coaching strategic ability and Smith's QB performance.

As for Smith vs McNabb, Smith has the opposite problem that McNabb does, he is comfortable in comeback and end of game situations, but he gets jumpy in non-pressure situations (1st quarters and games against bad teams).

I simply don't think McNabb is the missing piece of the 49ers puzzle.
Share 49ersWebzone