LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

Come on Joe

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ok I'm putting myself in place to catch some $hit here, but am I the only one who has been disappointed in Montana over the past few years? I've went to a couple of games over the past few years when they've honored Rice and Bill walsh at the stick, and tonight I'm watching interview with Jerry when he tears up and Steve Young is sitting next to him....I just think Joe needs to put some stuff behind him and be here for once. Maybe I'm off base and he may have his reasons, but come on man
COME ON, JOE!

Joe is a total mystery, it's not just that he may have issues with the con-current ownership campaign, but Joe has been a total ghost to the general football media since his retirement.

Whenever you actually see Montana come out for Superbowl sponsorship he's either just hanging with Dwight Clark, talking about the catch for the 100th time, or sponsoring some bulls**t product he's being put up to over radio promotions.

Although Joe still does come out to the Stick for special 'halftime' events, his public relations have been all but quiet (also because the guy is just a really humble dude.) -But in general, Joe has ALWAYS been sort of a shy and reserved guy, and this is even going back to his 'legacy' days.
Originally posted by d49izme:
Ok I'm putting myself in place to catch some $hit here, but am I the only one who has been disappointed in Montana over the past few years? I've went to a couple of games over the past few years when they've honored Rice and Bill walsh at the stick, and tonight I'm watching interview with Jerry when he tears up and Steve Young is sitting next to him....I just think Joe needs to put some stuff behind him and be here for once. Maybe I'm off base and he may have his reasons, but come on man

I have to agree, Joe Montana is pretty much the man at QB PERIOD, but he has to acknowledge the 49er organization more because he helped put them on the map and will forever be part of the DYNASTY history
He doesn't need to be here or have anything to do with the organization

thanks for the great games and superbowls Joe
I saw an interview on this. Joe said something to the effect of the fact that football took him away from his family for years, and now he just wants to be a Dad to his boys and a husband to his wife.

I can't say I blame him. The guy gave the NFL more amazing moments than most of us can remember. If he doesn't want to be there for anyone else, that's on him.

It was great to see Steve and Eddie there for Jerry. It was awesome.
Really? Joe doesn't owe us or the orginization anything! Why do sports fans have such a sense of entitlement? It's the other way around, the fans and the Niners owe Joe everything! Joe should be able to live his life anyway he wants! Especially without getting judged by the fans that he gave a dynasty to! What.........he hasn't done enough for the Niners and Niner fans?

COME ON MAN!!!
[ Edited by Ramp19Stoner on Feb 6, 2010 at 11:35 PM ]
itd be nice if Montana was a bit more 49er oriented and involved. guys like Young, Rice, Dwight Clark, Ronnie Lott, etc still do things to represent the team, still act like they care about the franchise.

when you have your name and number on the wall and retired, you have some sort of obligation imo to at least show up to an organizational event every year or 2, just to give back to the fans that still love you.

Joe has every right to do his own thing now, but ive always got the feeling like hes still bitter at us for picking Young over him and letting him go. he doesnt really show up to anything 49ers related, he states all the time how hes a Steelers fan, etc.

you cant ask anything more of him after 4 super bowls, but maybe the co-franchise best all time player should be seen representing just a little bit every so often.
Originally posted by Ramp19Stoner:
Really? Joe doesn't owe us or the orginization anything! Why do sports fans have such a sense of entitlement? It's the other way around, the fans and the Niners owe Joe everything! Joe should be able to live his life anyway he wants! Especially without getting judged by the fans that he gave a dynasty to! What.........he hasn't done enough for the Niners and Niner fans?

COME ON MAN!!!

Fair enough. I've heard about how he wants to focus on the family and all, and I realize that he's given us fans a LOT, and we do owe him...but owe him what? Praise? Thanks? Come on...I've praised this guy and thanked him and recognized him as the greatest QB of all time, year after year many of us go to bat in this argument. I respect his privacy and all, but I really hope that he's there behind closed doors for these guys that made him who he was, even if he wasn't there publicly. As much as I hope he respects those who've made him what he is, such as Walsh and Rice, I would hope that he also holds some respect for us fans who've poured our heart and soul out for him and defended his place throughout the years.

All I'm saying is that I hope he's there in Canton when Eddie introduces Jerry. I don't see many more chances for him to publicly pay respect.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
He doesn't need to be here or have anything to do with the organization

thanks for the great games and superbowls Joe

this

/thread

Aw c'mon Joe, you can always change your name..... thank's alot son just the same

Joe can do whatever he wants..
I'm sure he at least called Jerry and what not. I just never expect him to do anything public since he wants a private life.
Joe was pretty much our version of the Rams Isaac Bruce kept to himself

but was a little more vocal then Bruce

cuz DAMN Bruce was pretty much a mute

Pretty much both of them are mysterious in their own type of way.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
I saw an interview on this. Joe said something to the effect of the fact that football took him away from his family for years, and now he just wants to be a Dad to his boys and a husband to his wife.

I can't say I blame him. The guy gave the NFL more amazing moments than most of us can remember. If he doesn't want to be there for anyone else, that's on him.

It was great to see Steve and Eddie there for Jerry. It was awesome.

Joe is also not happy with the player's union and the NFL for not doing more for retired players.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Joe was pretty much our version of the Rams Isaac Bruce kept to himself

but was a little more vocal then Bruce

cuz DAMN Bruce was pretty much a mute

Pretty much both of them are mysterious in their own type of way.

Like Lott used to call Joe, the 'quiet killer'. -The guy's blood was cold as ice, he let his actions speak for themselves.

Every leader is different (specially in how they lead their men to victory), General Patton darted sophisticated motivational speeches at his troops... while General Sun Tzu on the other hand gave his men cool/calculated votes of soft-spoken wisdom/strategy.
Share 49ersWebzone