Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Joecool:
He's got until 3 quarters of the way into 2010 to prove himself. If he keeps pulling the same BS inconsistent throws, then I'll be the first to want to give him a backhand, send him out the door with a kick in the rear, total his car so he has to walk home and thank him for 6 freaking years of being the pathetic reason for being the key cog in some God awful Offenses that kept us out of the playoffs.

Yeah cool, you know i love to chuck it up with ya brotha, but come on. I mean i know you dont like him, but after 3 quarters. I mean s**t, we gave hill the entire next season after returning to see what he could do. So how about you give smith the same courtesy.

Jersey! Read it again! He said 12 games not 45 mins!

Lol. Thanks English for the correction, my mistake, but really brotha. you wrote back just to tell me that. How about you add something to the discussion. How do you feel about it?

I've said my piece on the subject of Smith several hundred times and got tired of the fatuous "Alexcuses" crud every time you try to discuss the situation. There is no logical argument to be had here right now. We have no idea where Davis is, none of the draftees look like starting material and I don't like the FA options. And anyway, whoever starts will have a hard time and look like crap unless we fix the line. When the line is fixed I shall be happy to see if Smith has taken advantage of the stable situation and training as a starter, and working closely with Crabtree and VD. And if he doesn't then no doubt we will try Davis if he has come along.

I don't really want to see Davis thrown to the wolves as Smith was, though he would at least have Crabtree.

Nothing new here, which is why I didn't post before. I just wanted to save you getting panned!

Well brotha, i gotta say thanks, and to be real, this was one of the best responses i've had in a long time. Express your opinion, make some very valid points, especially when talkin in the zone, and above all realize that there's nothing out there better than smith at this point to be had.

I agree if a HOF qb becomes available then i'm straight Alex Who! But like you i just dont see that happening. And i say the same about Davis, a lot on here talk about his pre-season, and i just say if you really like the kid, then realize he has a learning disability. Cuz he'd probably been out of the NFL if he was drated in 05, and just thrown to the wolves. So i say let him do it right if anything else, and sit and learn.

And what about when Nate outperforms Alex in the preseason??? It will probably be followed by the typical remarks "it was against players who wont be in the league in two weeks" or "it was done with a simplified playbook".

The fact remains, Nate is more of a natural playmaker than Smith but might not have the mental capacity for the position. So until they actually get a chance to compete head to head against equal competition, we really wont know who is the more capable signal caller.

Well i dont know if you've ever watched Chapelle Show, but my response to this is, well some people say cucumbers taste better pickled. lol. Check it, i know your not that high on smith and thats ok, but you can't actually think that if Smith and Davis (at least right now), if they go head to head that he'll beat out Smith.

I aint even gonna say too much because as everyone says it's pre-season. Now the biggest comment you made and out of your own mouth is this, " but might not have the mental capacity for the position." Now you said how can you find out his talent if you dont put them against one another head to head. Well i dont think Davis is there yet. have you forgotten that for 85% of the season he played WR and a few other positions. And only within the last few games had he seen time at QB.

IN the developmental phase as a team, do you know how difficult it would be since he does have the disability, and learns more from visual aides to cater the offense to meet his needs, at this point. He'd need an entire offseason 100% to probably completely grasp the offense. He'd have to spend one entire season as the no 2 backup before just throwin him to the wolves.

So while I too like Davis, the worst thing would be to put him in now. IMHO

No - I am completely confident that Davis would beat Smith in a head-to-head competition. His physical skills are superior to Smith's and he seems to possess the instincts that Smith has never exhibited, and which cannot be taught.

Additionally, people continue to infer that since Davis was playing scout team defense, he must not have been getting anytime to study the playbook. The truth is he just wasn't getting any reps during 11-on-11 or 7-on-7, and neither does the 2nd string QB (operates scout team offense). However during the other 6 hours a day dedicated to position drills and film study, he gets just as many physical and mental reps.

Davis was drafted to play QB for this team and it is his job, as well as the job of the QB coach to ensure that he is completely up to speed in terms of the playbook, so that he's ready should he be forced to play for whatever reason. So to state that his rookie season was a complete waste in terms of advancing his abilities as a QB and knowledge of the offense is absolutely incorrect. At this point, I feel it is safe to say that Nate's knowledge of the basic playbook is on par with Smith's. The only area where Smith probably has an advantage is with making pre-snap reads and audibles at the LOS.
[ Edited by abowers1984 on Jan 31, 2010 at 2:19 AM ]
He's got until 3 quarters of the way into 2010 to prove himself. If he keeps pulling the same BS inconsistent throws, then I'll be the first to want to give him a backhand, send him out the door with a kick in the rear, total his car so he has to walk home and thank him for 6 freaking years of being the pathetic reason for being the key cog in some God awful Offenses that kept us out of the playoffs.

Yeah cool, you know i love to chuck it up with ya brotha, but come on. I mean i know you dont like him, but after 3 quarters. I mean s**t, we gave hill the entire next season after returning to see what he could do. So how about you give smith the same courtesy.

Lol. Thanks English for the correction, my mistake, but really brotha. you wrote back just to tell me that. How about you add something to the discussion. How do you feel about it?

I've said my piece on the subject of Smith several hundred times and got tired of the fatuous "Alexcuses" crud every time you try to discuss the situation. There is no logical argument to be had here right now. We have no idea where Davis is, none of the draftees look like starting material and I don't like the FA options. And anyway, whoever starts will have a hard time and look like crap unless we fix the line. When the line is fixed I shall be happy to see if Smith has taken advantage of the stable situation and training as a starter, and working closely with Crabtree and VD. And if he doesn't then no doubt we will try Davis if he has come along.

I don't really want to see Davis thrown to the wolves as Smith was, though he would at least have Crabtree.

Nothing new here, which is why I didn't post before. I just wanted to save you getting panned!

Well brotha, i gotta say thanks, and to be real, this was one of the best responses i've had in a long time. Express your opinion, make some very valid points, especially when talkin in the zone, and above all realize that there's nothing out there better than smith at this point to be had.

I agree if a HOF qb becomes available then i'm straight Alex Who! But like you i just dont see that happening. And i say the same about Davis, a lot on here talk about his pre-season, and i just say if you really like the kid, then realize he has a learning disability. Cuz he'd probably been out of the NFL if he was drated in 05, and just thrown to the wolves. So i say let him do it right if anything else, and sit and learn.

And what about when Nate outperforms Alex in the preseason??? It will probably be followed by the typical remarks "it was against players who wont be in the league in two weeks" or "it was done with a simplified playbook".

The fact remains, Nate is more of a natural playmaker than Smith but might not have the mental capacity for the position. So until they actually get a chance to compete head to head against equal competition, we really wont know who is the more capable signal caller.

Well i dont know if you've ever watched Chapelle Show, but my response to this is, well some people say cucumbers taste better pickled. lol. Check it, i know your not that high on smith and thats ok, but you can't actually think that if Smith and Davis (at least right now), if they go head to head that he'll beat out Smith.

I aint even gonna say too much because as everyone says it's pre-season. Now the biggest comment you made and out of your own mouth is this, " but might not have the mental capacity for the position." Now you said how can you find out his talent if you dont put them against one another head to head. Well i dont think Davis is there yet. have you forgotten that for 85% of the season he played WR and a few other positions. And only within the last few games had he seen time at QB.

IN the developmental phase as a team, do you know how difficult it would be since he does have the disability, and learns more from visual aides to cater the offense to meet his needs, at this point. He'd need an entire offseason 100% to probably completely grasp the offense. He'd have to spend one entire season as the no 2 backup before just throwin him to the wolves.

No - I am completely confident that Davis would beat Smith in a head-to-head competition. His physical skills are superior to Smith's and he seems to possess the instincts that Smith has never exhibited, and which cannot be taught.

Additionally, people continue to infer that since Davis was playing scout team defense, he must not have been getting anytime to study the playbook. The truth is he just wasn't getting any reps during 11-on-11 or 7-on-7, and neither does the 2nd string QB (operates scout team offense). However during the other 6 hours a day dedicated to position drills and film study, he gets just as many physical and mental reps.

Davis was drafted to play QB for this team and it is his job, as well as the job of the QB coach to ensure that he is completely up to speed in terms of the playbook so that he's ready, should he be forced to play for whatever reason. So to state that his rookie season was a complete waste in terms of advancing his abilities as a QB and knowledge of the offense is absolutely incorrect. At this point, I feel it is safe to say that Nate's knowledge of the basic playbook is on par with Smith's. The only area where Smith probably has an advantage is with making pre-snap reads and audibles at the LOS.

Apparently Singletary doesn't agree with your first paragraph. And bearing in mind that he has a lot more information and that his job depends on getting it right, I think I know whose opinion carries more weight. Singletary is no Nolan, he has shown a commitment to bringing on youth.

Davis was drafted to play QB for this team and it is his job, as well as the job of the QB coach to ensure that he is completely up to speed in terms of the playbook, so that he's ready should he be forced to play for whatever reason. So to state that his rookie season was a complete waste in terms of advancing his abilities as a QB and knowledge of the offense is absolutely incorrect. At this point, I feel it is safe to say that Nate's knowledge of the basic playbook is on par with Smith's. The only area where Smith probably has an advantage is with making pre-snap reads and audibles at the LOS.

saying that davis physical skills are better than smith's doesnt make it so...it sure doesnt show up on the nate davis 2009 preseason video film...if davis skills were as great as you say, why did he linger until 5th round to be picked? not liking smith leads many of you to overestimate nate the great

Davis was drafted to play QB for this team and it is his job, as well as the job of the QB coach to ensure that he is completely up to speed in terms of the playbook so that he's ready, should he be forced to play for whatever reason. So to state that his rookie season was a complete waste in terms of advancing his abilities as a QB and knowledge of the offense is absolutely incorrect. At this point, I feel it is safe to say that Nate's knowledge of the basic playbook is on par with Smith's. The only area where Smith probably has an advantage is with making pre-snap reads and audibles at the LOS.

Apparently Singletary doesn't agree with your first paragraph. And bearing in mind that he has a lot more information and that his job depends on getting it right, I think I know whose opinion carries more weight. Singletary is no Nolan, he has shown a commitment to bringing on youth.

I never said that it was a fact, just my opinion... and Im fully confident in it. That being said, I'm fairly certain that Nate will again put up the best numbers next preseason.

Queue the criticism for using preseason stats as a barometer of a QB's ability...
[ Edited by abowers1984 on Jan 31, 2010 at 2:48 AM ]
Originally posted by hofer36:

saying that davis physical skills are better than smith's doesnt make it so...it sure doesnt show up on the nate davis 2009 preseason video film...if davis skills were as great as you say, why did he linger until 5th round to be picked? not liking smith leads many of you to overestimate nate the great

So you're saying that Smith looked better last preseason??? The stats would state otherwise... And he lingered until the 5th round because he played poorly in his bowl game then came out and stated he had a learning disability, before that he was rated as a 2nd rounder.

And my opinions of Smith and Davis have nothing to do with one another... I would be perfectly content in saying that they both stink and we should use our 1st rounder on Jimmy Clausen this year (as i did with mark sanchez last year)... But i just dont feel that way.
[ Edited by abowers1984 on Jan 31, 2010 at 2:52 AM ]

I never said that it was a fact, just my opinion... and Im fully confident in it. That being said, I'm fairly certain that Nate will again put up the best numbers next preseason.

Queue the criticism for using preseason stats as a barometer of a QB's ability...

You are entitled to your opinion. And you may be right (or not!)

For me I would like to see him at No 2 for at least a season, and watch him getting some game time towards the end of regular season games

For me I would like to see him at No 2 for at least a season, and watch him getting some game time towards the end of regular season games

I agree with Bowers. Davis would probably destroy Smith in a head to head in camp and he probably has a good grasp of the offense. But while Scotty is the GM he is going to try and make the Smith experiment work. Imho he is hust prolonging the egg on his face.

Smith could not even beat Hill in camp who is a noodle armed 7 year bench warmer. Smith NEVER looked good in preseason...no matter who he faced. THe organization believes in him. I sure don't.

5 seasons of being in the NFL, going to NFL QB meetings, being fed knowledge by great mentors in Martz, Turner, etc. And he still doesn't have his basics down. 9 weeks of practicing with Crabtree and at the end of the season still no chemistry. Hell he underthrows/overthrows the whole team most of the time. He is WHACK.
He's improving a lot. Next year will say a lot about where he is at. If he doesn't make it we need a new plan in 2011. I still hope for the best in 2010 and I hope he proves he is our QB of the future. That would solve a lot of things for this team.
The only future any logical 49er fan should be thinking about for Alex Smith is as a backup at the most. It's sad as a Magic fan I now like JJ Redick than I do the starting QB for the Niners. Again granted if we ever want to be the San Francisco 49ers again we better find that decent QB that we obviously don't have.
[ Edited by waiting4number6 on Jan 31, 2010 at 10:44 AM ]
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

I agree with Bowers. Davis would probably destroy Smith in a head to head in camp and he probably has a good grasp of the offense. But while Scotty is the GM he is going to try and make the Smith experiment work. Imho he is hust prolonging the egg on his face.

Smith could not even beat Hill in camp who is a noodle armed 7 year bench warmer. Smith NEVER looked good in preseason...no matter who he faced. THe organization believes in him. I sure don't.

5 seasons of being in the NFL, going to NFL QB meetings, being fed knowledge by great mentors in Martz, Turner, etc. And he still doesn't have his basics down. 9 weeks of practicing with Crabtree and at the end of the season still no chemistry. Hell he underthrows/overthrows the whole team most of the time. He is WHACK.

So Singletary, whose job depends on his results, is deliberately keeping an inferior qb in, why? To spite the zone?

No. When Davis can clearly beat Smith in a head to head he will start. Before that, all this stuff is just webzone fantasies

Originally posted by ninerfan818:

So Singletary, whose job depends on his results, is deliberately keeping an inferior qb in, why? To spite the zone?

No. When Davis can clearly beat Smith in a head to head he will start. Before that, all this stuff is just webzone fantasies

Agreed. This organization isn't like the Raiders where there is a ultra involved owner who makes all the decisions even personnel ones about who is QB. The person who decides who plays is the HC for the 9ers, not the GM or owners. The Yorks have never involved themselves in micro managing and I've never seen evidence that any of the 9ers GMs have done so either.

Smith is the starter because Coach Singletary believes he's the best QB on the team. That isn't to say Singletary is sold on Smith. No one is saying that but it should be clear to all Davis lovers that the kid isn't ready to play YET. Maybe he'll prove it this preseason. Who knows.
Share 49ersWebzone