LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Thoughts on Alex Smith and his future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Listened to the interview that was posted a couple of days ago with Comcast sports, I can't exactly put my finger on it, but every time I hear Alex interviewed I come away more impressed. He has great maturity and seems to be a truly good person with some real depth. As a football player he has a quiet confidence and a bit of a chip on his shoulder in a good way. I loved when the question was asked why he resigned with the niners instead of going somewhere for a fresh start , he said because I had unfinished business ! I needed to prove to myself , my teammates and Niner fans that I can play at a very high level. I truly believe that if we can grow as a team in terms of confidence ( wins against quality opponents like the colts, saints, Vikings, pats ect…) it will have an expediential effect on Alex as a QB. He is still after 5 years in the league, only 25 yrs old. He may never be Montana or Young but he certainly could be a top 15 QB or better . He has the physical ability to make all the throws, although he still needs to work on his pocket presence. I would like to see him move in the pocket more affectively , use his athleticism to get outside and run or throw . I don't think we have seen the best of Alex Smith by a long shot and I have a hunch that our qb coach Mike Johnson maybe just what Alex needs. Lastly, I am now more convinced than ever that Mike Nolan was a cancer to this young football team and Alex specifically. Nolan as a head coach was an empty suit who was a self serving ego maniac in way over his head. Can’t wait for 2010 Go Niners !!!!!
Good post. I share your optimism.
Originally posted by luckofirish:
Listened to the interview that was posted a couple of days ago with Comcast sports, I can't exactly put my finger on it, but every time I hear Alex interviewed I come away more impressed. He has great maturity and seems to be a truly good person with some real depth. As a football player he has a quiet confidence and a bit of a chip on his shoulder in a good way. I loved when the question was asked why he resigned with the niners instead of going somewhere for a fresh start , he said because I had unfinished business ! I needed to prove to myself , my teammates and Niner fans that I can play at a very high level. I truly believe that if we can grow as a team in terms of confidence ( wins against quality opponents like the colts, saints, Vikings, pats ect…) it will have an expediential effect on Alex as a QB. He is still after 5 years in the league, only 25 yrs old. He may never be Montana or Young but he certainly could be a top 15 QB or better . He has the physical ability to make all the throws, although he still needs to work on his pocket presence. I would like to see him move in the pocket more affectively , use his athleticism to get outside and run or throw . I don't think we have seen the best of Alex Smith by a long shot and I have a hunch that our qb coach Mike Johnson maybe just what Alex needs. Lastly, I am now more convinced than ever that Mike Nolan was a cancer to this young football team and Alex specifically. Nolan as a head coach was an empty suit who was a self serving ego maniac in way over his head. Can’t wait for 2010 Go Niners !!!!!

But ask anybody within the football operations department, and they will tell you that this team would not be close to where it is today had Nolan never been a part of the organization.

Alex's current plight as a borderline starting caliber QB in this league is nobody's fault, just simply a lack of the skills / instincts necessary to play the position at this level. I sincerely hope that he is able to show significant improvement this year, but Im certainly not expecting it. Nate Davis is the future for this team, and if/when Smith again fails to live up to eveybody's expectations, I just pray that the excuses stop and Singletary makes the change.
Originally posted by abowers1984:

But ask anybody within the football operations department, and they will tell you that this team would not be close to where it is today had Nolan never been a part of the organization.

Alex's current plight as a borderline starting caliber QB in this league is nobody's fault, just simply a lack of the skills / instincts necessary to play the position at this level. I sincerely hope that he is able to show significant improvement this year, but Im certainly not expecting it. Nate Davis is the future for this team, and if/when Smith again fails to live up to eveybody's expectations, I just pray that the excuses stop and Singletary makes the change.

I agree that Nolan was good in the GM/Cap department. He did do a lot to turn the personnel and the organization around. However, he was never a very good coach.

Alex Smith does not lack skills or instincts. I saw a vast improvement in both of those departments this year. Maybe Nate Davis is the future and maybe he isn't. He was good in pre season but so was Ken Dorsey. He hasn't taken a snap in the regular season. I suppose a lot of you guys just 'know' he is so good. I do not get why this guy is so hyped. Then what happens if he comes in and plays like a young guy? You guys will torch him then the same way everyone torches Alex Smith because you guys have unrealistic expectations and expect every QB to come out of the gates a hall of famer.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
I really wish we could share the same mentality, i was actually excited 4 him as he got a second chance during the Houston game. However, enough is enough. i dont think he needs more time to develop.

If he starts in 2010, i wish him the best, but dont b suprised we end up .500 or lower.
Originally posted by fly15:
I really wish we could share the same mentality, i was actually excited 4 him as he got a second chance during the Houston game. However, enough is enough. i dont think he needs more time to develop.

If he starts in 2010, i wish him the best, but dont b suprised we end up .500 or lower.

lol And don't be surprised if we go 14-2 either.

I cannot say how good Alex Smith is going to be but I can tell you he is a solid QB and anyone that disagrees just doesn't know that much about QB's. I want to see what he does with a good line in front of him and throwing lanes and another year under the same system. I don't know if a lot of you guys get this but the only reason we dink and dunk and run out of the gun is because our line was so inept at pass blocking.
Originally posted by Spoonerism:

I agree that Nolan was good in the GM/Cap department. He did do a lot to turn the personnel and the organization around. However, he was never a very good coach.

Alex Smith does not lack skills or instincts. I saw a vast improvement in both of those departments this year. Maybe Nate Davis is the future and maybe he isn't. He was good in pre season but so was Ken Dorsey. He hasn't taken a snap in the regular season. I suppose a lot of you guys just 'know' he is so good. I do not get why this guy is so hyped. Then what happens if he comes in and plays like a young guy? You guys will torch him then the same way everyone torches Alex Smith because you guys have unrealistic expectations and expect every QB to come out of the gates a hall of famer.

I second that.

Why are people so high on Nate Davis? What has he done to be deemed the future of the team? He played well in preseason... big deal! So did Thomas Clayton. The only reason Davis made our active roster and Clayton has been stuck on the practice squad is because we have better depth at RB than QB.

Don't get me wrong, Davis could pan out to be a decent player. But he could also get cut. We really have no idea based on what he has done.
I am so glad FINALLY a thread about Alex Smith! I have been waiting and hoping for this day when somebody would start a thread about Alex, and now that day has come, I'm so excited I might just pee myself.... wait I think I did!
Mods do your stuff and merge this bad boy, hell merge all the Pro Alex threads and all the Anti-Alex threads into one mighty thread, so long and so vast it would be unreadable!

Yeah I won't be surprised if we have a bunch of dropped passes again, or our oline is still horrible
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I am so glad FINALLY a thread about Alex Smith! I have been waiting and hoping for this day when somebody would start a thread about Alex, and now that day has come, I'm so excited I might just pee myself.... wait I think I did!
Mods do your stuff and merge this bad boy, hell merge all the Pro Alex threads and all the Anti-Alex threads into one mighty thread, so long and so vast it would be unreadable!

Oh come on why stop there? lets just have a new forum just for Smith Talk!

Well put sir... alex has shown vast improvement in all areas.. he can deffinently make every throw on the field.. and with his first OC that will be around for a second year will do wonders for him..
Originally posted by blm7754:

all u haters should just stay out of PRO smith threads so when he blooms as the player he is, ALL of you will have your foot in your mouth cause you dont kno nothing about talent, and furthermore when a player is mishandled like NOLAN did to him.. what more can u expect for a kid whith a s**tty coach and horrible o-line.. Do that math... smith made huge jumps this year and you still cant give him props 18 TOUCHDOWNS IN 10 GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO NINERS 2010!!!!
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
Originally posted by blm7754:

all u haters should just stay out of PRO smith threads so when he blooms as the player he is, ALL of you will have your foot in your mouth cause you dont kno nothing about talent, and furthermore when a player is mishandled like NOLAN did to him.. what more can u expect for a kid whith a s**tty coach and horrible o-line.. Do that math... smith made huge jumps this year and you still cant give him props 18 TOUCHDOWNS IN 10 GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO NINERS 2010!!!!

I'm a 'Hater", dude I am marked down as supporting Alex as next years starter in many millions of similar threads! I am also down as hedging my bet just a little and taking a QB on day one next year.
I would hand Alex the starting role, cut Hill and make Davis fight it out with a rookie for the back-up job!
  • fly15
  • Veteran

lol And don't be surprised if we go 14-2 either.

I cannot say how good Alex Smith is going to be but I can tell you he is a solid QB and anyone that disagrees just doesn't know that much about QB's. I want to see what he does with a good line in front of him and throwing lanes and another year under the same system. I don't know if a lot of you guys get this but the only reason we dink and dunk and run out of the gun is because our line was so inept at pass blocking.

14-2??? im down for that dude, but not with Alex (i hope im wrong).
u need to give some credit to our OL, if Gore can run with that kind of line, Alex can make better decisions 2.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for chico49erfan.

Especially at the bolded part.
Share 49ersWebzone