There are 261 users in the forums

NEW ALT. UNIFORMS

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

To those that would argue, "Oh then it won't be a proper throwback" I counter that semantically, there can never really be a true throwback worn in today's NFL since modern materials and equipment will still be utilized.There are entire sites and blogs like UniWatch devoted to nitpicking the innacuracies and shortcomings of intended throwback uniforms. I would rather trade looking good for 100% accuracy any day. One need only look at the Packers, Steelers, Eagles, Broncos, Redskins, etc. "throwbacks" that have been worn in recent years to see sometimes the WORST design can be chosen. Hopefully the Niners can buck this trend.

worst idea ever. "let's color the helmets as if they were leather."
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
let's throw it all the way back.

Plus this:

Did anyone notice that the nfl shop brought out a 9ers 47th collection?

So they might go late 40s early 50s throw backs
Originally posted by modninerfan:
agreed

this is all nike needs to do:

Totally disagree.....
enough with the shaded numbers and striped socks.....
and there is a reason they are called the Forty-Niners... They mined for gold not silver. Having silver in the uniform doesn't fit with their name.

Now...to those items I agree with...
I do love the white shoes. That was a terrific look. (Just look at the old footage of John Taylor and Jerry Rice wearing white shoes....fantastic!)...
I also like the road shoulder double stripes from the real old school uniforms (early 60s I believe). That would be a nice alternate uniform....

Clearly, the team has to redo the broken triple stripes on the shoulders of the current uniform....just awful...
Use the Steelers' and Packers' shoulder stripes as a guideline there in terms of placement and you are all set.

I would also prefer pants that are more of a gold color (like the Saints' current pants)..

Just my two cents....

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jun 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM ]
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Totally disagree.....
and there is a reason they are called the Forty-Niners... They mined for gold not silver. Having silver in the uniform doesn't fit with their name.

This issue has been covered already.

FYI....there are several examples of teams whose way back earliest throwback unis make absolutely no sense color-wise. The Packers unis for most of the 20's had no green but were navy, brown and tan. Steel is gray not black and yellow. Eagles aren't green, Broncos aren't orange, etc etc. The point is moot.

The reason silver was worn for much of the 49ers early years was in honor of the team's first head coach, the gray haired ex-local college coach Buck Shaw whose nickname was the "Silver Fox". Also, in the days of B&W photos and early TV, the color of the team's helmets/pants would obvioulsy not be distinguished between silver or gold by anyone other than those who actually went to the game. Maybe silver paint and fabric was picked cos it was cheaper, who knows?

The fact of the matter is silver was an early team color however illogical it seems and it is part of the team's legacy. If the team wore throwbacks with red helmets there'd be complaints of looking too much like the Chiefs. If they wore plain white throwback helmets, like the Cardinals or Stanford. Silver helmets (the 1962-63 design) is at least distinct enough, yet still recognizably 49ers (yeah they'd probably also look like Ohio St.....bet JH would love that)

PS

If we delve deeper into California history, we'd learn a lot of the so-called "49ers" of the 1849 gold rush didn't come west to mine gold at all, but made their riches (often more successfully than the miners themselves) through providing goods and services in boom towns and the ultimate boom city-- San Francisco
Originally posted by prime21:

Those were the days!
Hell Ya ! on the side of the helmet ! When I see this logo I hear voices in my head ...... Montana......back to throw..........TOUCHDOWN ! 49ers !
[ Edited by redrazer45 on Jun 17, 2012 at 8:36 AM ]
Originally posted by artiga1:
White Pants

LOL god those were some of the ugliest things the NFL has ever seen
Originally posted by BayArea:
White Pants

those were awesome

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by BayArea:
White Pants

those were awesome

the cowgirls' kryptonite
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Did anyone notice that the nfl shop brought out a 9ers 47th collection?

So they might go late 40s early 50s throw backs

47th would be 1965
merge

www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/166841-offcial-more-yellow-pants-thread/
nope.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Totally disagree.....

This issue has been covered already.

FYI....there are several examples of teams whose way back earliest throwback unis make absolutely no sense color-wise. The Packers unis for most of the 20's had no green but were navy, brown and tan. Steel is gray not black and yellow. Eagles aren't green, Broncos aren't orange, etc etc. The point is moot.

The reason silver was worn for much of the 49ers early years was in honor of the team's first head coach, the gray haired ex-local college coach Buck Shaw whose nickname was the "Silver Fox". Also, in the days of B&W photos and early TV, the color of the team's helmets/pants would obvioulsy not be distinguished between silver or gold by anyone other than those who actually went to the game. Maybe silver paint and fabric was picked cos it was cheaper, who knows?

The fact of the matter is silver was an early team color however illogical it seems and it is part of the team's legacy. If the team wore throwbacks with red helmets there'd be complaints of looking too much like the Chiefs. If they wore plain white throwback helmets, like the Cardinals or Stanford. Silver helmets (the 1962-63 design) is at least distinct enough, yet still recognizably 49ers (yeah they'd probably also look like Ohio St.....bet JH would love that)

PS

If we delve deeper into California history, we'd learn a lot of the so-called "49ers" of the 1849 gold rush didn't come west to mine gold at all, but made their riches (often more successfully than the miners themselves) through providing goods and services in boom towns and the ultimate boom city-- San Francisco
Most goldrushers period, regardless if they were from Beijing, Edo, or Jacksonville, Fla, didn't make it prospecting. Many went belly up. I suspect, though, those that managed some modicum of success did so in silver. Silvers always been more prevalent in the west.
Share 49ersWebzone