LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

A Raye of hope...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Up-Close-with-QB-Coach-Mike-Johnson/c6da80ef-a0bf-102c-ae14-8cc2288110cb

Our best/only bet is Mike Johnson has more of a role and say in the offense. I really like everything I have read and heard about the guy.
Recently on "Chronicle Live" they asked Coach Sing about the offense. Coach Sing mentioned how Mike Johnson has been working closely with Coach Raye on the offense like incorporating the spread offense into the game plan. Moving forward they will continue to work together.
Originally posted by Kangal:
Recently on "Chronicle Live" they asked Coach Sing about the offense. Coach Sing mentioned how Mike Johnson has been working closely with Coach Raye on the offense like incorporating the spread offense into the game plan. Moving forward they will continue to work together.

I hope they find a way to blend the spread offense with a running game. Last year there time we threw the ball well out of the spread but we maybe stuck with it for to long (Seattle game) and other times/games we didn't go to the spread nearly enough. We have to find that balance of running and passing. That is my biggest complaint about Jimmy Raye. I think he is a smart guy, a good coach and a good teacher but I just don't know about his playcalling skills.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

I hope they find a way to blend the spread offense with a running game. Last year there time we threw the ball well out of the spread but we maybe stuck with it for to long (Seattle game) and other times/games we didn't go to the spread nearly enough. We have to find that balance of running and passing. That is my biggest complaint about Jimmy Raye. I think he is a smart guy, a good coach and a good teacher but I just don't know about his playcalling skills.

Agree completely! We need a balanced attack between the spread and behind center. There weere probably two games when Raye called a very good mix of plays from both formations. I sure hope we can see more of those in 2010...
I don't think "Raye" and "hope" should be in the same title. But I think Johnson can step in and be our next OC even as soon as after next season. A couple of yrs under Raye and the transition should go smoothly no matter who is at QB (Smith or Davis).
Originally posted by SJniner7:

Agree completely! We need a balanced attack between the spread and behind center. There weere probably two games when Raye called a very good mix of plays from both formations. I sure hope we can see more of those in 2010...

Yeah I agree, I think Raye showed he could adjust and put together a totally differen't scheme and gameplan, but then the last 2 games they totally went away from it except for in the 2nd half of the Rams game where we started to move the ball again. I also wonder how much influence Mike Johnson had in bringing the spread into the 49ers offense in the 2nd half of the season as he did spend a year studying running out of the spread at the Univ of Illinois.

I think Raye and Johnson could end up being a very good tandem and working great together, an older guy (Raye) who is more old school while Johnson a younger guy who has some newer, fresher ideas.

I just wish Singletary would now get rid of Foerester as O-line coach now that Mike Solari is available...
Originally posted by SJniner7:

I agree that this could be a very good mix if Mike Johnson gets to help expand this offense during the offseason. If we can get that balance we need & good playcalling this team will make the playoffs next year!
  • Dreskee
  • Info N/A
Use who u want to use to help on Offense....just score some damn points!!!
Originally posted by Dreskee:

Pts wasn't the big problem (although we could use another 4-7pts a game) the big problem was the 3 and outs!

49ers were actually 18th in the NFL in pts score (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/seasontype/2) so that isn't all that bad, it is the 3 and outs that killed the offense (and defense) and really the team.

49ers were actually 18th in the NFL in pts score (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/seasontype/2) so that isn't all that bad, it is the 3 and outs that killed the offense (and defense) and really the team.

The 49ers have to be much better at picking up 3rd downs next season or we will miss the playoffs again.
Originally posted by tohara3:

The 49ers have to be much better at picking up 3rd downs next season or we will miss the playoffs again.
Someone said our points were okay, just not enough 3rd down conversions. Hey, I thought it was points that won a game, not who scored the most 3rd down conversions.

From what I recall, we had a number of dynamite plays in which we threw for TDs or had long runs from scrimmage. But I also recall too many times when we got no yardage running on 1st and 2nd down, then had to pass on 3rd and long. That is when the defense pinned their ears back, blitzed and we had to dump off the ball on a hot read. We wouls gain 6 yards, but not the 1st down. This is the area where we need to improve. Part of it may be playcalling. The defense seems to know what running play we will call (up the middle), and they plug the middle.

I hope Alex spends much of the offseason studying film, not only of our offense, but also the offensive plays of the good offensive teams (especially that of ARIZ and GB), and then he needs to go to Raye and say, "These are the plays that I want included in our playbook, and here is when I want them called."
once jimmy raye figures out that its fine not to call a running play every flippin 1st down well see some improvement

a better oline would help too

[ Edited by Allx9er on Jan 12, 2010 at 23:08:59 ]
I wonder how many games we'll go 1-13 in 3rd down conversions next year
Share 49ersWebzone