There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady

Was there ever a debate? Really?

Tuck rule and three late long field goals by the best FG kicker of all time...and Brady plays in a new era that grossly favors the passer...there was never a legit debate.

[ Edited by bigwads on Jan 10, 2010 at 18:34:12 ]
Originally posted by bigwads:
Was there ever a debate? Really?

Tuck rule and three late long field goals by the best FG kicker of all time...and Brady functions in a rule full of rules that grossly favor the passer...there was never a legit debate.

This is definitely a different era that favors the passing game, as soon as Brady lost a Superbowl this debate was ended.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by wolfpack219:
Ya it's amazing how when Tom Brady is under constant pressure he looks like s**t and constantly rolls out to his right. Geese if I recall that reminds me our OL and QB situation. I wonder how Alex would look if he actually had CONSISTENT protection?

Does everything have to come back to Smith.

I wonder how Smith puts on his pants will all these people on his Nutz.

Or with people trying to stick their knives in it.

But I guess nobody can be intelligently unbiased in either direction. At least you can't even suggest that the problem is not Alex without someone making an inference that they are nuthugging the guy.

Such an ignorant stance should immediately be banned for the offensive picture it inspires.

~Ceadder

Are you trying to taddle on me....

I'm just tired of threads getting hijacked by Smith is ..... debate. There are a million threads dedicated to that.

Sorry if my mentioning of Smith's nutz brings inspired pictures to your mind.

~ Oakland-Niner

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 10, 2010 at 19:05:46 ]
Yes. When Brady lost to baby Eli the debate effectively was put on the back burner. But after today, the debate is dead, and does not look like it is coming back.

If I can die and Montana is still the undisputed king I will die happy
LOL at Brady and belichek (sp?)
4-0 in Super Bowls. There never was a debate.
Originally posted by NinerFan1979:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Krizy you are deffinatly 100% correct. Manning is better than Joe. Winning championships should not be a measure of that because like you said its a team game. As far as Manning having loads of talent on his teams really? All of his Ds were horrible if the Colts could somewhat resemble an NFL D Manning would have one 3 by now and on his way to number 4. Oh and talk about stacked teams all of Joes teams were stacked! And besides that he had the greatest coach in NFL history on his side. I love what Jeff Fisher said Manning = Machine

Ridiculous. Name me the stars on offense that Joe won his first two superbowls with.

Yes, please name all of the stars Joe had around him during the first two superbowls.

I mean if Joseph Addai is not the greatest running back to have played for a Superbowl winner, how about the leading rusher for the 49ers in 81? Ricky Patton for 543yds...

I'm not going to get into the debate of Manning vs Joe. There are far too many variables. However, I think it's important to point out that no, Joe didn't always have stacked teams. Hell, Joe had 2 Superbowls already on his resume before Jerry Rice came to town.
Yes, Joe is the greatest. He did have some clunkers though. Remember the Vikings play-off game in '87?
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by krizay:

But Peyton > than Montana

lol. 4 super bowls > 1 super bowl

Peyton Manning is Dan Marino with 1 ring.

Joe Montana is the greatest player in NFL postseason history. period.

Montana's the best.
Marino was better than Manning.
Young was better than Manning.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

Never!!
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
It's simple really:

When the oline fails, the qb fails.

Blame it on whomever you choose, but Aaron Rodgers' offensive line failed him throughout the entire season and he still succeeded. The defense failed him today, however.

Some QBs can make it happen, even with a failing O-Line. Tom Brady has proven to not be among them.
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

4 Super Bowls has something to do with the team you are on. The biggest myth in the world is that it's all the QB. And people right here on this very WZ believe that.

Montana had Ronnie Lott, Charles Haley, Fred Dean, Jerry Rice just to name a short few. It was pre salary cap era and nobody was as big of a spender as Eddie D. The 49ers fieled the best O Lines and best defenses year in and year out. And they had outstanding WR's, TE's and good special teams.

Montana didn't do that by himself. In fact in the salary cap era my bet would be he wouldn't win 4 times. Maybe 1 or 2.
Originally posted by 190836:

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

Never!!

I think the only thing keeping Montana ahead of Manning in the eyes of most fans is the 4 Super Bowls Joe Cool has in comparison to Manning's 1, but if Manning had defenses like Joe had (or defenses like Tom Brady has had, or even just decent defenses that just showed up to play football), he'd likely have 4 or 5 rings of his own right now. I don't think there'd be any debate at that point.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by 190836:

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

Never!!

I think the only thing keeping Montana ahead of Manning in the eyes of most fans is the 4 Super Bowls Joe Cool has in comparison to Manning's 1, but if Manning had defenses like Joe had (or defenses like Tom Brady has had, or even just decent defenses that just showed up to play football), he'd likely have 4 or 5 rings of his own right now. I don't think there'd be any debate at that point.

This.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

4 Super Bowls has something to do with the team you are on. The biggest myth in the world is that it's all the QB. And people right here on this very WZ believe that.

Montana had Ronnie Lott, Charles Haley, Fred Dean, Jerry Rice just to name a short few. It was pre salary cap era and nobody was as big of a spender as Eddie D. The 49ers fieled the best O Lines and best defenses year in and year out. And they had outstanding WR's, TE's and good special teams.

Montana didn't do that by himself. In fact in the salary cap era my bet would be he wouldn't win 4 times. Maybe 1 or 2.
What a load of crock. You guys make it sound like Manning has nothing and isn't playing in a more pass friendly era. The real reason everyone says Montana is because of how clutch he was. Ask yourself this. One drive to win it at all. Who do you choose: Manning or Montana? /discussion

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Jan 10, 2010 at 23:14:24 ]