There are 265 users in the forums

Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Actually, Joe and the 49ers had a playoff game like this against the Giants. I think it was in January 1988.. The Giants just schooled the 49ers that day. I think Joe may have been knocked out of that game by Jim Burt.

But it wasn't at home though.

1/4/87 . . . brutal game

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198701040nyg.htm

Joe also played like s**t against the Vikings in '87. That's when Walsh pulled him for Young and the controversy ensued.

But then Joe went on to win the next 2 Super Bowls and the next MVPs. But for Joe's elbow injury, he would not have been replaced. As it was, it took the injury and being out over a year for Steve to finally get his chance.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

Joe Montana is one of the greatest QB's of all time period.But he did lose playoff games otherwise he'd have more than 4 rings.In fairness to Tom Brady,he's still playing and barring a major injury his career is far from over so it's fruitless to compare them at this point.

Overreaction seems to be a recurring theme on the zone,more so on gameday threads

Krizy you are deffinatly 100% correct. Manning is better than Joe. Winning championships should not be a measure of that because like you said its a team game. As far as Manning having loads of talent on his teams really? All of his Ds were horrible if the Colts could somewhat resemble an NFL D Manning would have one 3 by now and on his way to number 4. Oh and talk about stacked teams all of Joes teams were stacked! And besides that he had the greatest coach in NFL history on his side. I love what Jeff Fisher said Manning = Machine
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Krizy you are deffinatly 100% correct. Manning is better than Joe. Winning championships should not be a measure of that because like you said its a team game. As far as Manning having loads of talent on his teams really? All of his Ds were horrible if the Colts could somewhat resemble an NFL D Manning would have one 3 by now and on his way to number 4. Oh and talk about stacked teams all of Joes teams were stacked! And besides that he had the greatest coach in NFL history on his side. I love what Jeff Fisher said Manning = Machine

That is sarcasm. I recognize that.

Marino was a machine.

Manning's number's are going to eclipse Dan's but John Elway played his whole career on a Torn ACL. Elway had Steve's running ability and a rocket arm. He lost 3 Super Bowls yet came back to win 2 (once he had Terrell Davis / Shannon Sharpe in the prime of their careers.

If you had to win 1 game and it was the Super Bowl. Who would you pick?

Brady -- 16-0, yo
Manning -- Dan with a ring
Dan
John
Steve
Joe
Troy

That's pretty darn easy, isn't it. When it comes down to 1 game, the Super Bowl, in the words of Duncan McCloud, from the clan McCloud, there can be only one

Joe

Ridiculous. Name me the stars on offense that Joe won his first two superbowls with. And your point about the Colts having a terrible D. Again, bull. In the early years, when Manning lost games it was cause he was out played and didn't play good (especially against 3 - 4 teams). Even in the year when they did win the SuperBowl, it took a collapse by the Patriots to get there since he again was not playing well in the first half again the Patriots.
Originally posted by NinerFan1979:

Ridiculous. Name me the stars on offense that Joe won his first two superbowls with. And your point about the Colts having a terrible D. Again, bull. In the early years, when Manning lost games it was cause he was out played and didn't play good (especially against 3 - 4 teams). Even in the year when they did win the SuperBowl, it took a collapse by the Patriots to get there since he again was not playing well in the first half again the Patriots.

Ricky Patton and Paul Hofer #36. Don't forget Earl "Niners Hit Paydirt" #49 Cooper, one of our 2 first round picks in 1980, along with Jim Stuckey :)

Paul Hofer was a warrior
RIP Lenvil Elliott
Joe is a few levels above Brady....Montana could do it with little to no help on offense '81 and '84 and Brady cannot. Brady only had a great year WITH moss and Welker and Montana was consistantly carving up Defenses.....whereas Brady cannot.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Originally posted by krizay:
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

But Peyton > than Montana

Blasphemy!!!!!

I expect this kind of ignorance from a Colts fan, but from a 49ers fan?

Like the other poster said; 4 Superbowl wins > 1 Superbowl win. Plus, Joe Montana never threw a SINGLE interception in a Superbowl game!

San Francisco went on to win Super Bowl XVI over the Cincinnati Bengals 26-21, and Montana was named the game's Most Valuable Player (MVP). It was to become a familiar scenario during the decade. The 49ers would win four titles by 1990, including consecutive Super Bowls in 1989 and 1990, and Montana was awarded the MVP trophy on three occasions (his favorite receiver, Jerry Rice, won the award in 1989). Not only did Montana complete almost 70 percent of his passes in those four Super Bowl victories - outdueling the likes of Dan Marino, John Elway, and Boomer Esiason in the those title games - but he never threw an interception in 122 attempts.

Don't forget what greatness really was, invest in buying all four Superbowls that Joe Cool played in and come back on this board and tell me that you still believe that crap that you just wrote down! If you do, then my fellow 49er fan, there is a 49er intervention coming to you soon!

So Terry Bradshaw is just as good as Joe Montana?

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

lol. 4 super bowls > 1 super bowl

Peyton Manning is Dan Marino with 1 ring.

Joe Montana is the greatest player in NFL postseason history. period.

I'll give you the postseason comment.

But rings shouldn't be what makes the best (insert position here). There's 52 other guys on the team. If 1 or 2 units can't do their job and the rest of the team ain't winning sh*t.

The Colts just set the record for wins in a decade. What's that tell you? He's been doing it with alot less talent than Joe was use to.

Totally disagree. Peyton has had top notch talent for almost all his years in the league. Great WRs, good RBs and a great oline. Peyton is barely ever touched. The problem is, when Peyton has gotten to the playoffs he has had bad performances. Defenses have been able to confuse him. Physically he is more talented (as was Elway) than Joe. But that is only hafl the equation. Joe was clutch and that out weighs everything.

His Oline has been like a revolving door! Joesph Addai isn't really all that good. He make pedestrian WR's look good. See Austin Collie, Pierre Garco and Brandon Stokely.

Yes he has had bad games in the playoffs. Last I checked Joe didn't take us to the Superbowl every year either. If Manning had top 10 dfenses like Brady and Montana has had. He too would have lifted the trophy multiple times.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

Ricky Patton and Paul Hofer #36. Don't forget Earl "Niners Hit Paydirt" #49 Cooper, one of our 2 first round picks in 1980, along with Jim Stuckey :)

Paul Hofer was a warrior

Don't forget Bill Ring.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

But rings shouldn't be what makes the best (insert position here). There's 52 other guys on the team. If 1 or 2 units can't do their job and the rest of the team ain't winning sh*t.

The Colts just set the record for wins in a decade. What's that tell you? He's been doing it with alot less talent than Joe was use to.

Totally disagree. Peyton has had top notch talent for almost all his years in the league. Great WRs, good RBs and a great oline. Peyton is barely ever touched. The problem is, when Peyton has gotten to the playoffs he has had bad performances. Defenses have been able to confuse him. Physically he is more talented (as was Elway) than Joe. But that is only hafl the equation. Joe was clutch and that out weighs everything.

His Oline has been like a revolving door! Joesph Addai isn't really all that good. He make pedestrian WR's look good. See Austin Collie, Pierre Garco and Brandon Stokely.

Yes he has had bad games in the playoffs. Last I checked Joe didn't take us to the Superbowl every year either. If Manning had top 10 dfenses like Brady and Montana has had. He too would have lifted the trophy multiple times.

He has consistently had a great oline. Rarely gives up sacks. His center has been with him since day one.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

Also, Manning has consistently had a top 3 (maybe 5) WR during his time in the league. Marvin Harrison was considered one of these top 3 WRs for years and Reggie Wayne is considered one of the best in the game right now. He had Edge. I am not just talking about this year. Maybe this year his o-line has been up and down. But Manny has consistently been surrounded by good players. I don't disagree that Manning, physically and talent wise is probably better than Joe. But to me that is only half of the equation. Joe made up for it in so many more ways. Ways that Manning does not and is the reason he will never be considered the greatest of all time.
Was there ever a debate? Really?

Tuck rule and three late long field goals by the best FG kicker of all time...and Brady plays in a new era that grossly favors the passer...there was never a legit debate.

[ Edited by bigwads on Jan 10, 2010 at 18:34:12 ]
Share 49ersWebzone