LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady

Shop Find 49ers gear online
All I'm saying is if Big Ben gets a 3rd ring, I bet sportsnation will include him in the discussion for "greatest ever" discussion.

I think Ben is as clutch as they come, and when his career is all said and done, who knows how many rings he'll have...of course assuming he'll end his career as the QB of arguably the most consistent franchise in NFL history.

Just sayin!

So proceed with Montana & Brady. For now.
Originally posted by verb1der:
All I'm saying is if Big Ben gets a 3rd ring, I bet sportsnation will include him in the discussion for "greatest ever" discussion.

I think Ben is as clutch as they come, and when his career is all said and done, who knows how many rings he'll have...of course assuming he'll end his career as the QB of arguably the most consistent franchise in NFL history.

Just sayin!

Best ever, though? Let's assume he wins his 3rd ring and let's assume you were starting a franchise today and had your pick of active QB's. Would you pick Ben? I sure as heck wouldn't.

Here's a list of QB's I'd pick over Ben without even batting an eye...

Brees
Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Rivers

That would make Ben no better than 6th for me in active QBs let alone all time. lol.

Just sayin!

Big Ben can win 5 super bowls and still not be considered the greatest of all time. His numbers in the big games have been mediocre. Plus, like Bradshaw and, to a lesser extent, Aikman, his teams are known for the running game and defense. Also, the fact that he's been accused of rape twice doesn't help his cause.
Originally posted by midrdan:

Just sayin!

Big Ben can win 5 super bowls and still not be considered the greatest of all time. His numbers in the big games have been mediocre. Plus, like Bradshaw and, to a lesser extent, Aikman, his teams are known for the running game and defense. Also, the fact that he's been accused of rape twice doesn't help his cause.

damn....you make a good point.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by ghostrider:

Just sayin!

Best ever, though? Let's assume he wins his 3rd ring and let's assume you were starting a franchise today and had your pick of active QB's. Would you pick Ben? I sure as heck wouldn't.

Brees
Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Rivers

That would make Ben no better than 6th for me in active QBs let alone all time. lol.

You stick any of those QBs with the Steelers, they're nearly unstoppable with that OL and that defense. None of those QBs maybe except for Brady has enjoy such defensive dominance on the other side for so long.
Don't forget Vick. If Ben can run like that behind that Oline, just imagine Vick along with his improved passing.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by midrdan:

. . .
3. He lost a super bowl. To a team quarterbacked by Eli Manning.
I guess QB's have never lost big games? Montana lost an NFC Title Game to Jeff Hostetler for christ sake.
. . .

And quite simply folks, THAT'S why R. Craig will NEVER belong in the HOF!!

For what it is worth, the Niners were leading when Marshall's hit basically ended his Niner career.
Tom Brady never had a Jerry Rice........ just sayin
Originally posted by walker807:

Niether did Montana for the first two Super Bowl wins. Brady did have Moss who was playing at the top of his game and they couldn't get it done against the Giants.......just sayin.
  • fan49
  • Veteran

this conversation is bogus. did montana ever throw an int in a sb? and wasnt montana's career sb rating like 130? and did he ever lose? i believe they call that perfect... debate over

[ Edited by fan49 on Jan 28, 2011 at 23:59:34 ]
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place

Yeah but Montana never had tape of the defensive signals. Has Brady got a ring since they got caught?

Originally posted by BHulman:

Niether did Montana for the first two Super Bowl wins. Brady did have Moss who was playing at the top of his game and they couldn't get it done against the Giants.......just sayin.

Burn.
Originally posted by TheNef77:

Yeah but Montana never had tape of the defensive signals. Has Brady got a ring since they got caught?
The next QB to be compared with Montana will be the QB Harbaugh grooms into a champion.

Case closed.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Just sayin!

Brees
Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Rivers

You stick any of those QBs with the Steelers, they're nearly unstoppable with that OL and that defense. None of those QBs maybe except for Brady has enjoy such defensive dominance on the other side for so long.

That OL is not as good as you think. They gave up 1 sack fewer than we did, granted they faced some injuries yet again but even when fully healthy they are not great by any stretch. They are pretty solid run blocking but not in pass pro.

Ben and his ability to escape/avoid the rush and keeps plays alive is incredibly impressive and he may not give you eye popping stats (the Steelers play traditional Steeler football which doesn't ask Ben to do the same things Brady and Manning are asked to do in their offense) but he has a knack for making plays when they need him to.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Just sayin!

Brees
Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Rivers

That OL is not as good as you think. They gave up 1 sack fewer than we did, granted they faced some injuries yet again but even when fully healthy they are not great by any stretch. They are pretty solid run blocking but not in pass pro.

Ben and his ability to escape/avoid the rush and keeps plays alive is incredibly impressive and he may not give you eye popping stats (the Steelers play traditional Steeler football which doesn't ask Ben to do the same things Brady and Manning are asked to do in their offense) but he has a knack for making plays when they need him to.

Ben is good, not great, and if he were on another team we may not even know he was that good.

We can look at this season and see that the Steelers went 3-1 without Ben, beating the #1 regular season team in the NFL with DENNIS DIXON at QB and the 10-6 Bucs with a 100 year old Charlie Batch at QB (they also beat Tennessee with Batch at QB and lost to the Ravens by a FG with Batch as well).
Share 49ersWebzone