LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 374 users in the forums

Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erAllTheWay:

The best ever!!

DEFINITELY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
First of all, you have read this as a fan of the NFL; not of the 49ers.

I hate to say it, but I believe that if Tom Brady wins the Super Bowl this year with these random players on his offense, he will go down as the GREATEST EVER. Montana had the GREATEST RECEIVER OF ALL TIME to throw to. Who is Tom Brady throwing to? Besides Randy Moss, Tom Brady has never had a DOMINANT wide receiver to throw to.

First There is no comparison and they can never be one because they don't play in the same time frame.

Now with all the bull sh** rules that you can't touch the QB or receivers etc it's much easier to have all the great stats etc...

If Brady would of played with JM he would just be another Dan Marino. Good but not good enough because Joe always took him out.

And last without Joe there might not of been a Brady. Just keep in mind who was Brady's idol.

Joe will always be the Best at the position just like JR!!!!

Please stop trying to compare them!

Go Niners!!!!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's very good. It's hard to say where he fits. His career is not over yet. He's had great defenses backing him and a great coach too. It's not all Brady. He's had some real good WR's over the years. The O Lines have always been solid.

Montana was outstanding. But he's also overly romanticized on this board. He had great WR's, TE's. Offensive Lines and Defenses backing him. And pre salary cap era Eddie D. fielded the best teams year in and year out. Throw in a hall of fame coach. Was he good? Yes. Is he overly romaticized on this board? Yes.

He's overly romantacized by the fans of the franchise he led to four Lombardi's on his way to the Hall fo Fame? Well there's a penetrating glimpse into the obvious.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Brady is a cheating p***y who had the NFL tailor rules for him so he could stand in the pocket, read the defenses signals, and throw without worrying about getting creamed.

Montana had to play in an Era where your QB WILL go down during the season, so you better have a servicable backup.

Brady rules the tuck rule, the cheating....all these are black eyes that should go in his resume.

Don't forget the ultimate choke job against the Giants in the Super Bowl.
And you could very easily say that Montana played in an era with NO STEROID TESTING. You dont think guys were cheating in the 80s. Its so laughable to think the Patriots are the only team to 'cheat', whatever cheating means anyways.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by Bourbon:
This is nuts. All these QBs are different. Montana was the absolute bomb, we all know that, but do I remember the stinker games...where my heart was racing and the disappointment lasted for a couple of days afterward? Oh yeah. I admired Dan Marino too - but in his 67-7 loss to the Jags in a game that was a strikingly similar start and MUCH WORSE end to Brady's last play off game (and Marinos was an AFC championship), did I cry for the dude? Sure. When Peyton Manning, another dynamic QB to watch, threw 6 interceptions (A Record!!!) to the chargers and lost that stinker of a game, did I feel for the dude? Sure. But you don't judge any of these people on a game or even a season that has its ups and downs. Peyton has had his troubles in the post season - Brady has been a champ there, but had his up and downs this last season (I cop him a bit of a break as he did just return from knee surgury) - and my Montana had his as well. But all these QBs are special, there is no discounting that. They've done some miraculous stuff and are all deserving of being in the HOF. Comparisons are dumb, they don't ever make any sense. I just celebrate them all (and I would toss Young in there also).

Wait. According the Smith haters no good QB has bad games.

You must be lost. The Alex Smith Man-On-Man Love Association is located here:

I Heart Alex Smith

Yeah! Get the f**k out of this thread! Smith is nowhere near good enough to even be mentioned in ANY conversation involving Montana!

Well the NFL ranked the players. Montana was #4 all time. The best QB of all time.
Brady is # 21, behind about 6 QBs, including Peyton Manning.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's very good. It's hard to say where he fits. His career is not over yet. He's had great defenses backing him and a great coach too. It's not all Brady. He's had some real good WR's over the years. The O Lines have always been solid.

Montana was outstanding. But he's also overly romanticized on this board. He had great WR's, TE's. Offensive Lines and Defenses backing him. And pre salary cap era Eddie D. fielded the best teams year in and year out. Throw in a hall of fame coach. Was he good? Yes. Is he overly romaticized on this board? Yes.

He's overly romantacized by the fans of the franchise he led to four Lombardi's on his way to the Hall fo Fame? Well there's a penetrating glimpse into the obvious.

He was outstanding. Just saying he had a lot of help with Eddie D. fielding the absolute best team every single year pre salary cap era. Quite an advantage I'd say.
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
First of all, you have read this as a fan of the NFL; not of the 49ers.

I hate to say it, but I believe that if Tom Brady wins the Super Bowl this year with these random players on his offense, he will go down as the GREATEST EVER. Montana had the GREATEST RECEIVER OF ALL TIME to throw to. Who is Tom Brady throwing to? Besides Randy Moss, Tom Brady has never had a DOMINANT wide receiver to throw to.

Lol.. umm noo. Not even close. Joe never threw any interceptions in any superbowls. Also Joe never lost a superbowl. Tom Brady won three superbowls that all should have an asterisk next to them. They cheated for all those superbowls that they won and don't give me this bullshhiit about how filming the opposing teams defensive signals really didn't benefit them. Umm.. that is why they ran a lot of hurry up so they could see the defensive calls. If it didn't seriously help them, then they wouldn't have done it. And they still barely won those superbowls with field goals. No way in hell they beat the Rams in superbowl 36 if they don't cheat. That Rams team was deep. And you see Belecheat's disciples like mcdaniels who was just fired from denver. That shows you how that organization works. They'll lie, cheat, and steal in order to win. Also Tom Brady FOLDS UNDER PRESSURE. New York Giants supplied pressure in the superbowl and brady couldn't handle it. Montana was clutch under all circumstances.. even with pressure in his face. Tom brady could have never made that play against the cowboys in the championship game in 81. You bring heat up the middle and Tom Brady falls down. Now don't get me wrong, Brady is dead accurate and a good quarterback, but nowhere near Montana and never will be. You see how much time the Pat's line gives Brady? It's ridiculous. Tom Brady could not succeed on the current 49er team. Montana could. Oh and everyone always says that Montana had so many weapons to throw to. He only had Rice for two superbowls. Case closed.

Yeah Brady folds like a deck of cards. He should be able to avoid oncoming pass rushers, how dare he take sacks. The Giants are lucky they are the only team all year to think of the genius idea to PROVIDE PRESSURE to Brady. The Giants D line didnt out play the Pats o line at all, it was all on Brady's shoulders. He simply folded.

Very unbiased.

Bottom line is this: Its asinine to compare players and choose one as being greater than the other because there are countless other factors involved. Football is a TEAM GAME. Brady cheated. Montana had a HOF wr. Brady had a better defense,. Montana had a better coach. Etc Etc Etc. You could go on all day but there are a million factors involved in both players' success. Itd be silly to pit one against the other claiming the other to be superior and inferior to the other. Whats the point?

The Giants were the only team that year to finally get a decent amount of pressure on Brady. Like I said, when provided with time Brady is dead accurate, as are a lot of quarterbacks. But when a good amount of pressure is provided.. that is when you are able to distinguish great quarterbacks from good ones. Brady gets flustered and he does not have the athletic ability to escape it. Tom Brady has been clutch throughout his career for the most part, but when teams are successful at putting heat on him, he is much more prone to failing and letting the pressure get to him when compared to some of the all time greats such as Johnny Unitas, Bart Star, and Montana. Brady relies much more on tremendous protection than any of those quarterbacks ever did. A lot of people forget how good Montana really was because it has been nearly two decades since he played. I watched Montana and Brady throughout their careers and it's very evident that Brady is the type of quarterback that relies on others to execute their assignments. Brady needs a comfortable pocket consistently in order to succeed.. Great quarterbacks make things work even with poor protection. Again.. Brady could not succeed with the current 49er team and Montana could. If you think Brady could make shiit happen with Chilo Rachaal and Anthony Davis trying to provide that incredible pocket for him you are incredibly ignorant. Of course no one can prove what would happen if different quarterbacks were subjected to different situations and eras but you can analyze it and break down their strengths and styles of play. Brady simply couldn't do some of the things Montana could my friend. May I remind you that Montana took a mediocre Kansas City team far into the playoffs and beat the superbowl champion 49er team. Now let me ask you.. who would you rather have as your quarterback in the superbowl? Tom Brady or Joe Montana...End thread.
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Brady is a cheating p***y who had the NFL tailor rules for him so he could stand in the pocket, read the defenses signals, and throw without worrying about getting creamed.

Montana had to play in an Era where your QB WILL go down during the season, so you better have a servicable backup.

Brady rules the tuck rule, the cheating....all these are black eyes that should go in his resume.

Don't forget the ultimate choke job against the Giants in the Super Bowl.

And you could very easily say that Montana played in an era with NO STEROID TESTING. You dont think guys were cheating in the 80s. Its so laughable to think the Patriots are the only team to 'cheat', whatever cheating means anyways.

Of course guys were cheating in the 80s. They are cheating now. You COULD say that the Niners were cheating by taking steroids. You COULD also say they were cheating by paying refs off, using stickam, using steroids, or whateevr you can come up with. There are people who still think the Niners and Eddie D had mob connections and had all the referees on our payroll.

The point is, Patriots got caught. The Nines didn't

Your analysis is flawed. Taking steroids is cheating on an individual level. Taking video of other team's signals is team wide cheating.

I don't remember Montana ever getting caught taking steroids. I do, however, remember the Patriots getting caught cheating.

And it would be laughable for people to say that Brady wasn't in on the video taping , or to say he didn't use the tapes against other teams effectively.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM ]
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Montana's numbers are statistically better than Brady's in the playoff's and in the Super Bowl. But even if you take away those consideration Montana never lost a super bowl. Next....
[ Edited by Apone on Dec 15, 2010 at 6:12 PM ]
I was thinking about this a couple of days ago. Brady blows Montana away in the regular season. They are comparable in the post season, Montana having a decent edge. My college roommate is a Colts fan and contends that Manning is the best which is complete bs, but part of that argument applies to the Brady/Montana argument. Brady seems to be the happy medium between Montana and Manning. He has the impressive regular season numbers necessary to carry a team TO the postseason and the playoff statistics to carry a team THROUGH the postseason. Joe's first couple of Superbowls were won with little other talent on offense. When Brady won Superbowls he never had much talent around him besides a great line. I hate to say it but I think Brady>Montana. The playoffs matter more, but the regular season needs to count for something.

• obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Tom Brady does remind me of Montana. The poise in the pocket and accuracy are pretty close.

Tom Brady also does it without the big play-makers that Montana had. Now I'm not saying that Brady is better than Montana, but it's definitely something to ponder.

That's a VERY ignorant sentiment coming from a 49ers fan (who should know his history). All you youngins think Montana started building his career tapestry in the late 80's, the moment Jerry Rice came onto the scene.

Two f**king words: Freddy Solomon.

Thank you. Jerry Rice has 3 rings - and he got 1 with Young. Montana has 4 rings. Montana was winning Superbowls with and without Jerry Rice.

This. I dare any non-49er fan to name another offensive player besides Freddie Solomon/Dwight Clark on the 1981 Super Bowl team.

Look I never said that Brady was Montana, but who the f**k did Brady have in the beginning of his career Troy Brown and Deion Branch? Jerry Rice/Dwight Clark or Dwight Clark/Freddie Solomon >Troy Brown/Deion Branch and we are not even including the RBs or the OL in this argument.

The immortal Ricky Patton was the Niners leading rusher (Niners were last in the league I believe) when they won in 82.

If I remember correctly, the Niners had more of a RB by committee, but we ran a pass first offense and the RBs were utilized more on draws and outlet passes.
Originally posted by Draftology:
I was thinking about this a couple of days ago. Brady blows Montana away in the regular season. They are comparable in the post season, Montana having a decent edge. My college roommate is a Colts fan and contends that Manning is the best which is complete bs, but part of that argument applies to the Brady/Montana argument. Brady seems to be the happy medium between Montana and Manning. He has the impressive regular season numbers necessary to carry a team TO the postseason and the playoff statistics to carry a team THROUGH the postseason. Joe's first couple of Superbowls were won with little other talent on offense. When Brady won Superbowls he never had much talent around him besides a great line. I hate to say it but I think Brady>Montana. The playoffs matter more, but the regular season needs to count for something.

Don't forget the new p***y QB rules.
Joe Montana would have 10 rings if he played in todays NFL! These days the rules have been talored to suit the offense, you can't even touch the QB! Montana was getting killed!

Montana also played against hall of fame defenses as well as other HOF QB's and he gave them the buisness!

I don't think you can compare today's QB's to JMontana at all!

with all that said, I do like Tom Brady though...
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Joe Montana would have 10 rings if he played in todays NFL! These days the rules have been talored to suit the offense, you can't even touch the QB! Montana was getting killed!

Montana also played against hall of fame defenses as well as other HOF QB's and he gave them the buisness!

I don't think you can compare today's QB's to JMontana at all!

with all that said, I do like Tom Brady though...

I think he would have less. There is a salary cap now. There is more paridy. Eddie D. couldn't manipulate the system to field the best team every year.
Brady is VERY GOOD but he's also the luckiest man alive. Everything always goes right for him and considering everything is always perfect for him and everything always tends to go right for him even when he makes mistakes I can't compare him to Joe.
Share 49ersWebzone