Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Rivers77:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by NinerFan1979:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

But Peyton > than Montana

lol. 4 super bowls > 1 super bowl

Peyton Manning is Dan Marino with 1 ring.

Joe Montana is the greatest player in NFL postseason history. period.

I'll give you the postseason comment.

But rings shouldn't be what makes the best (insert position here). There's 52 other guys on the team. If 1 or 2 units can't do their job and the rest of the team ain't winning sh*t.

The Colts just set the record for wins in a decade. What's that tell you? He's been doing it with alot less talent than Joe was use to.

Totally disagree. Peyton has had top notch talent for almost all his years in the league. Great WRs, good RBs and a great oline. Peyton is barely ever touched. The problem is, when Peyton has gotten to the playoffs he has had bad performances. Defenses have been able to confuse him. Physically he is more talented (as was Elway) than Joe. But that is only hafl the equation. Joe was clutch and that out weighs everything.

His Oline has been like a revolving door! Joesph Addai isn't really all that good. He make pedestrian WR's look good. See Austin Collie, Pierre Garco and Brandon Stokely.

Yes he has had bad games in the playoffs. Last I checked Joe didn't take us to the Superbowl every year either. If Manning had top 10 dfenses like Brady and Montana has had. He too would have lifted the trophy multiple times.

And how many 1,000 yard rushers did Montana have each year?

Correct me if I'm wrong but its easier to get to 1,000 due to more games being played now compared to back in the day.

I believe the 16 game schedule started aruond 1978.

You would be correct
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

Na , Peyton needs to win some more SB before you can say that . Peyton stinks it up in the playoffs way to much . I would say Brady before Peyton .

Discuss.....

Man we'd never consider anyone being better than OUR Joe Montana especially Brady. Peyton Manning is better than Brady anyways.
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

No way is Peyton better man we all know Joe is the best but I'll say Peyton definitely has potential to be up there with Montana.....

Na , Peyton needs to win some more SB before you can say that . Peyton stinks it up in the playoffs way to much . I would say Brady before Peyton .
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

No way is Peyton better man we all know Joe is the best but I'll say Peyton definitely has potential to be up there with Montana.....

Peyton is a presnap QB. If what he sees before the snap does not follow as planned when the pieces move, he's not very good.

Joe was able to make the right reads and adjust as the pieces moved.
Amen
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

Peyton is a presnap QB. If what he sees before the snap does not follow as planned when the pieces move, he's not very good.

Joe was able to make the right reads and adjust as the pieces moved.

Couldn't have send it better. Coming from JoeCool himself.
Brady is no doubt a great QB, but I really couldn't stand hearing the comparison a few years back. He is no Montana, but maybe we are all just biased!
  • Dreskee
  • Info N/A
Thats people's job to start comparisons about who's the next? (Fill in the blank) The dude grew up idealizing montana and says it in an interview and next thing u know he has some good seasons, wins some SB's and he's the next Joe lol. People love to debate and whats the best way to do that??? Compare someone to someone else. We all as niner fans know Joe was and is still the man but let me ask u this. If your life was on the line and u had one game to determine if u live or die by gettin a win, who would that QB be??? *Hint* (His last name is a state)
Originally posted by Dreskee:
Thats people's job to start comparisons about who's the next? (Fill in the blank) The dude grew up idealizing montana and says it in an interview and next thing u know he has some good seasons, wins some SB's and he's the next Joe lol. People love to debate and whats the best way to do that??? Compare someone to someone else. We all as niner fans know Joe was and is still the man but let me ask u this. If your life was on the line and u had one game to determine if u live or die by gettin a win, who would that QB be??? *Hint* (His last name is a state)

Johnny Utah.

eye-am-an-eff-bee-eye-agent

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

4 Super Bowls has something to do with the team you are on. The biggest myth in the world is that it's all the QB. And people right here on this very WZ believe that.

Montana had Ronnie Lott, Charles Haley, Fred Dean, Jerry Rice just to name a short few. It was pre salary cap era and nobody was as big of a spender as Eddie D. The 49ers fieled the best O Lines and best defenses year in and year out. And they had outstanding WR's, TE's and good special teams.

Montana didn't do that by himself. In fact in the salary cap era my bet would be he wouldn't win 4 times. Maybe 1 or 2.
What a load of crock. You guys make it sound like Manning has nothing and isn't playing in a more pass friendly era. The real reason everyone says Montana is because of how clutch he was. Ask yourself this. One drive to win it at all. Who do you choose: Manning or Montana? /discussion

He doesn't have as much as Montana had. Not even close.

People on this site have idolized and glorified Montana because it is a 49ers fan site. He is envied here. But they fail to take into account the POWERHOUSE teams he was on year in and year out over the course of his career.

So, he doesn't have nothing which is my point. To be considered the G.O.A.T in my eyes, the most important attribute is how clutch one is. Manning is a consistent choker in that department. Even the year they won it all, it was the D, not him that carried the team. Hell, he nearly blew it against the Chiefs. He's a glorified Marino with a ring.

You're looking at the whole situation as negatively as possible as it pertains to Peyton Manning. The year they won the Super Bowl, their defense was ranked dead last in the league. They finally started playing decent defense with the return of Bob Sanders and that was all Manning needed to win it all. Every QB brought up in GOAT conversations has had defenses that did their share, EXCEPT Peyton Manning.

Here is a stat that disproves what you are saying.

Peyton is 0 - 3 in Playoff games after a first round bye. So, Peyton hasn't had great teams according to you, yet (including this year) it is the 4th year they have had the top 1 or two record in the AFC (plus as we know they have won more games than any team in NFL history in this past decade - obviously not good teams according to you) and Peyton loses that first game. Those loses are not because his teams were not good, but because he was confused in the playoffs and played poorly.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
It was over two years ago when brady lost the super bowl.
Montana > All QB`s period.

[ Edited by 49ersMan420 on Jan 11, 2010 at 20:38:39 ]
  • Bourbon
  • Info N/A
This is nuts. All these QBs are different. Montana was the absolute bomb, we all know that, but do I remember the stinker games...where my heart was racing and the disappointment lasted for a couple of days afterward? Oh yeah. I admired Dan Marino too - but in his 67-7 loss to the Jags in a game that was a strikingly similar start and MUCH WORSE end to Brady's last play off game (and Marinos was an AFC championship), did I cry for the dude? Sure. When Peyton Manning, another dynamic QB to watch, threw 6 interceptions (A Record!!!) to the chargers and lost that stinker of a game, did I feel for the dude? Sure. But you don't judge any of these people on a game or even a season that has its ups and downs. Peyton has had his troubles in the post season - Brady has been a champ there, but had his up and downs this last season (I cop him a bit of a break as he did just return from knee surgury) - and my Montana had his as well. But all these QBs are special, there is no discounting that. They've done some miraculous stuff and are all deserving of being in the HOF. Comparisons are dumb, they don't ever make any sense. I just celebrate them all (and I would toss Young in there also).
Originally posted by NinerFan1979:
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

4 Super Bowls has something to do with the team you are on. The biggest myth in the world is that it's all the QB. And people right here on this very WZ believe that.

Montana had Ronnie Lott, Charles Haley, Fred Dean, Jerry Rice just to name a short few. It was pre salary cap era and nobody was as big of a spender as Eddie D. The 49ers fieled the best O Lines and best defenses year in and year out. And they had outstanding WR's, TE's and good special teams.

Montana didn't do that by himself. In fact in the salary cap era my bet would be he wouldn't win 4 times. Maybe 1 or 2.
What a load of crock. You guys make it sound like Manning has nothing and isn't playing in a more pass friendly era. The real reason everyone says Montana is because of how clutch he was. Ask yourself this. One drive to win it at all. Who do you choose: Manning or Montana? /discussion

He doesn't have as much as Montana had. Not even close.

People on this site have idolized and glorified Montana because it is a 49ers fan site. He is envied here. But they fail to take into account the POWERHOUSE teams he was on year in and year out over the course of his career.

So, he doesn't have nothing which is my point. To be considered the G.O.A.T in my eyes, the most important attribute is how clutch one is. Manning is a consistent choker in that department. Even the year they won it all, it was the D, not him that carried the team. Hell, he nearly blew it against the Chiefs. He's a glorified Marino with a ring.

You're looking at the whole situation as negatively as possible as it pertains to Peyton Manning. The year they won the Super Bowl, their defense was ranked dead last in the league. They finally started playing decent defense with the return of Bob Sanders and that was all Manning needed to win it all. Every QB brought up in GOAT conversations has had defenses that did their share, EXCEPT Peyton Manning.

Here is a stat that disproves what you are saying.

Peyton is 0 - 3 in Playoff games after a first round bye. So, Peyton hasn't had great teams according to you, yet (including this year) it is the 4th year they have had the top 1 or two record in the AFC (plus as we know they have won more games than any team in NFL history in this past decade - obviously not good teams according to you) and Peyton loses that first game. Those loses are not because his teams were not good, but because he was confused in the playoffs and played poorly.

Wait, so the team got them to the playoffs and Manning lost the playoff games? Look, I'm not saying that Manning hasn't had bad games in the playoffs before, but I live in Indiana, and I've seen them play virtually every game since before Jeff George was their QB. Manning has not had a consistently good defense until this year. He has had offensive weapons, most definitely, but he has not had a defense. The Colts make no secret of the fact that in the Manning era there, the defense has been designed to play with a lead. The team was set up to get an early lead, forcing the opponents' to have to abandon the run so that Freeney and Mathis could just pin their ears back and get at the QB. Whenever an opponent was able to run early and successfully, playing that time of possession game against the Colts, the whole thing would fall apart. The defense wasn't designed to stop a run game, and they would inevitably get tired from being on the field too long, allowing the opposing offense to have a field day. This, in turn, forced Manning and the offense to be more aggressive and take more chances, which didn't always work.

Look at the teams they have struggled against in the playoffs...the Patriots (interesting that the Colts have been on the winning side now that the Pats are a pass happy team), the Steelers, the Chargers...all with very strong running games. Add to that those teams play 3-4 defenses, which the Colts rarely faced back then, meaning that both Manning and the O-Line could not be as confident in their reads. That was a recipe for failure, for a team failure.

I have a feeling that the Colts this season will have a much better chance against the Chargers if they end up facing them in the playoffs. The 3-4 defense is much more prominent today, so the Colts have more familiarity of it. In particular, the Colts have faced the Chargers several times in the last few years, so Manning now has a few pages of notes on them that he didn't have before. And this year's Colts defense is designed differently. They can stop the run, they have depth in the front seven meaning they don't get tired as easily (notice that against the Pats this season, the Colts D seemed fresh at the end while the Pats D could barely keep on their feet they were so winded). But today's Charger team is more of a passing team than they have been in the past, which actually helps the Colts defense. With a stronger defense, the offense doesn't necessarily have to worry about scoring every drive. They don't have to take chances if they get behind like they used to.

It should be a really good game assuming they can get past the Ravens again.

But back to the point...Montana, Brady, Manning. They play(ed) completely different styles, and in the case of Montana, in different eras. Comparing them is really not something that can be done.

[ Edited by mrgneissguy on Jan 12, 2010 at 08:53:51 ]
Share 49ersWebzone