LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

The Makeup of an Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by danimal:
OL Coach at 18%?

Apparently some weren't old enough to remember some of McKittrick's best lines....

Just tell me what to take points from and give to OL coach, and backup the opinion a bit more.

Everyone knows about McKittrick. But in all fairness, Mcittrick's lines always had great weapons around them and stability and consistency to boot.

In other words...how do you think the Mckittrick era broke down? Were they good 100% because of just McKittrick?

No of course not ... LOL... why the hyperbole man? 100% good because of McKittrick? That would only make sense if he was actually out there playing with them. And McKittrick didn't "always have weapons" around him.

Why do people constantly forget the '81. 82, 84 teams? Jerry Rice and John Taylor weren't born 49ers and the club won 2 World Championships before they were on the team. I guess you can call Clark, Solomon and Wilson "weapons" but probably only Solomon would start in the current era.

I think a good/great OL coach could be rated as high as 40% in McKittrick's case, probably 50%. I think a OL that's well coached doesn't need to be budding with talent to be effective or even good/great. We've seen this in our own team's history.

Thoughts?

I threw out 100% to force you to give me your real number

and BTW, I actually did not think Mcittrick was a part of the early 80's Niners. I thought he came in when they were already stacked.

I will definitely bump up OL coach, just tell me what I should take away from.
But isn't it also on Jimmy Raye, who must be able to evaluate WHY the line is crapping out and in turn report to Singletary, who knows little about offense, as to why it is crapping out?

I mean, Jimmy Raye should have enough experience to see if Forrester is doing something wrong, right? I just don't think Raye really cares enough at his stage in his career.
OL Coach at 18%?

Apparently some weren't old enough to remember some of McKittrick's best lines....

Just tell me what to take points from and give to OL coach, and backup the opinion a bit more.

Everyone knows about McKittrick. But in all fairness, Mcittrick's lines always had great weapons around them and stability and consistency to boot.

In other words...how do you think the Mckittrick era broke down? Were they good 100% because of just McKittrick?

No of course not ... LOL... why the hyperbole man? 100% good because of McKittrick? That would only make sense if he was actually out there playing with them. And McKittrick didn't "always have weapons" around him.

Why do people constantly forget the '81. 82, 84 teams? Jerry Rice and John Taylor weren't born 49ers and the club won 2 World Championships before they were on the team. I guess you can call Clark, Solomon and Wilson "weapons" but probably only Solomon would start in the current era.

I think a good/great OL coach could be rated as high as 40% in McKittrick's case, probably 50%. I think a OL that's well coached doesn't need to be budding with talent to be effective or even good/great. We've seen this in our own team's history.

Thoughts?

I threw out 100% to force you to give me your real number

and BTW, I actually did not think Mcittrick was a part of the early 80's Niners. I thought he came in when they were already stacked.

I will definitely bump up OL coach, just tell me what I should take away from.

I think chemistry/stability is a little high. Lineman intelligence is a little high. I think the OC needs to be a smart cookie, but OGs don't need to be that savvy.

Yeah Walsh and McKittrick were awesome:

From 1979 to 1999, he coached the San Francisco 49ers offensive line. During his 21 years with the 49ers, the team won San Francisco won five Super Bowls (Super Bowl XVI, Super Bowl XIX, Super Bowl XXIII, Super Bowl XXIV, and Super Bowl XXIX) and 13 NFC West championships.[1] McKittrick is one of only four coaches, the others being George Seifert, Ray Rhodes and Bill McPherson, to be a part of all five of the 49ers' Super Bowl-winning teams.McKittrick

thanks for the knowledge. For some reason I thought of him as a 15 year guy. I think my brain is rejecting that we actually kept a coach for 21 years
Looks like the Zone and coach Sing are at a disagreement. Either Sing values chemistry and consistency far more than we do...OR he thinks Foerster is much better than we think...or a combination of both.

Why we are in a playoff drought? Because more often than not fans seem to have a better idea of how to run a football team vs the people actually running the team.

Oh well, we can always hope we are wrong. We will most likely be proven right....but whatever
Thought I would bump this.

The original post actually shows numbers and grades we somewhat came up with as a group.

I would like to keep the breakdown of importance percentages the same but we should probably regrade. Here is my suggestions

First, Overall talent.....from D to a B. YEAH, the people I wanted replaced have been replaced.!!!!!

OL Coach. Another HUGE step forward. how about a straight F- to an A+. Maybe I love Solari too much though.

Skill Positions. I still think we are a B, which is very good.

Chemistry and stability. I think we should go from C to an F. Which is a good thing though and kind of the purpose of this whole thread. It is suppose to illustrate that we should be willing to make changes in the interest of finding new talent because the talent seems to count for more. If 3-4 of these same starters are still around at halfway point we can upgrade to a D or something

Intelligence. I don't know.

systems matches strengths. I think we can move up to a C+, we seem to be making more headway with the smashmouth identity.

Your thoughts and opinions please.
Overall talent of our linemen. B Still sorting out the line still evaluating Baas as a Center and Rachal as RG.
OL Coach. Solari seems to be doing a good job, Brown as well.
Skill Positions. Smith seems to be doing much better, Gore is good, WRs still settling.
Chemistry and stability. C, most of our starters have played together for awhile...but OC - Smith, and team know the offense Raye called a good game Monday and we will see how he does this sunday.
Intelligence of our linemen - They seem to be learning and growing.
System matches strengths. Still working on it to see what the best roles for our players will be.

I would like to see more responses from Old Man Niner on the development of our oline.
Just one point for me. o lines need to be together for a long time, generally. With the situation at center complicated by the Heitmann injury and by Baas playing well, with two rookies and with the other guard position not set in stone, this really has not been playing together much yet they are doing well (in game 2 anyway, game 1 not so much). I tend to put this down to the coaching.

Generally, with two of the positions up for grabs and two other positions filled by rookies I would have given up on the O as the line would generally be dire. Gives me grounds for great optimism for the future of this line, and therefore the O itself

Just thought I would mention it.
Share 49ersWebzone