LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Very impressed with the 9rs and the organization this season...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
I think we were 7-9 last year and right now we are 7-8 so if we don't win tomorrow we will have the same record. The offense went from 23rd to 29th and the defense is allowing more yards per game but less points per game so that is like a stalemate. Were is this progression that some are talking about? If we win in Stl we will hae improved our record by 1 game and stats wise gone nowhere. I not saying we suck but 7 years is a long time to be 8-8 or worse.

Over the past eight NFL seasons, 14 teams have reached the playoffs after winning five games or fewer the year before. Just look at last year. Baltimore, Atlanta and Miami each reached the playoffs after finishing last in their divisions in 2007. All three had new coaches in 2008

2008 Baltimore 11-5 5-11

2008 Atlanta 11-5 4-12

2008 Miami 11-5 1-15

2007 Washington 9-7 5-11

2007 Tampa Bay 9-7 4-12

2006 New York Jets 10-6 4-12

2006 New Orleans 10-6 3-13

2005 Chicago 11-5 5-11

2005 Tampa Bay 11-5 5-11

2004 San Diego 12-4 4-12

2004 Atlanta 11-5 5-11

2003 Dallas 10-6 5-11

2001 New England 11-5 5-11

2001 Chicago 13-3 5-11

Quick turnarounds happen more than people think but is has been very slow in Niner land. We have been Laying the Foundation for 7 years now.

I agree that we haven't done a good job of turning it around, I blame the owners the most for that, then GM.

But to say that this team has barely improved is an over statement. You are reading way into just one single stat line. Your saying that our defense is the same as last year? because they allow more yards? sorry, last time I checked the game is won/lost by points on the scoreboard, not how many yards one team allowed.

The reason why we are allowing more yards, is because we have a more dominant run defense, so teams tend to throw more against us, than previous years. Passing Yards > Rushing Yards. We are one of the best teams in 3rd down conversions against, and that is a huge stats, compared to last year. Our T.O ratio hasn't been this good for a long time, either. How about Sacks? How about QB's pressure's? We vastly improved in that area.

Our offense, we actually had some blow out wins, which also hasn't happened in a long time (not last year). The reason why this offense has dropped in ranking, is because we don't have Martz calling pass every time; once againt Passing Yards > Rushing Yards. When was the last time we had a receiver with over 10 TD's? This offense is better than last year's offense, since it doesn't turn the ball over as much, and still puts up some points (although, I agree that our offense still has to improve).

The only game last year that makes you bash your head, is the game against AZ on MNF, beside that we didn't really give our self a shot to a win other games.

Can you honestly say that last year, this team could have gone up against Indy, and held Peyton to 0 TD's and 18 points? Or shut down Peterson, and Favre, beside a last minute miracle? or get 7 TO's in two different games?

Turn the TV on, watch Niners football, and put the espn stat book away, it's more than just that.

If you could read English you would note that I did say the defense was allowing fewer points. So using you same argument the offense is scoring less also. I don't need stats to see that we have the same damn record as last year at this time. 3 head coaches in 7 years 3 GM's in 7 years and 7 offensive cord. in 7 years not to mention about 10 or 12 starting QB's, but hey if they win tomorrow then you can feel happy about that 1 game improvement. In the final out come the only thing that matters is W's and L's

are you talking about?

When did I say that you didn't acknowledge that defense is allowing fewer points?

You compared our Yards against to our Points against, and you called it a stalemate. You acknowledge that there is barely an improvement...
If you could read English you would note that I did say the defense was allowing fewer points

the defense is allowing more yards per game but less points per game so that is like a stalemate. Were is this progression that some are talking about?

You are questioning the progress of this team, maybe you should read more carefully what I said...

Wow you must work for TMZ because that statement said;
The offense went from 23rd to 29th and the defense is allowing more yards per game but less points per game so that is like a stalemate. Were is this progression that some are talking about?

like a stalemate was referring to the entire team not just the defense.
Bottom line you must like this thing called mediocrity I for one see glimmers of hope but am not impressed with 7-9 or 8-8 that is not progress. In the NFL progress is measured in Wins and Championships, hell even division tiles count for something.

If you could read English you would note that I did say the defense was allowing fewer points

the defense is allowing more yards per game but less points per game so that is like a stalemate. Were is this progression that some are talking about?

You are questioning the progress of this team, maybe you should read more carefully what I said...

The offense went from 23rd to 29th and the defense is allowing more yards per game but less points per game so that is like a stalemate. Were is this progression that some are talking about?

Bottom line you must like this thing called mediocrity I for one see glimmers of hope but am not impressed with 7-9 or 8-8 that is not progress. In the NFL progress is measured in Wins and Championships, hell even division tiles count for something.

I apologize for not knowing what you are referring to in advance, I will stop this useless argument.
i agree with just about everything you said besides the "GM" part, anyone would have taken crabtree in that situation, and NO ONE would have taken kentawn balmer and chillo rachal OVER DESHAUN JACKSON!!! wow, imagine if we had deshaun jackson and crabtree... the compliment each other so well... jackson being the beast deep threat in the league, and crabtree having the potential to be one of the best position wrs in the league... shoot our GM NOW
Subject: Very impressed with the 9rs and the organization this season..

We will just have to disagree. I think 8-8 after 7 years of "rebuilding " is not impressive and you are impressed by 8-8. Then again you would not be old enough to remember how this franchise was once run. Every year it was super bowl or a failed season. If you'll notice most of my time has been spent showing how the team has taken 7 years and still gone nowhere yet. Is their light in the tunnel I believe so but it is still dim and they need leaps of improvement to get back to respectability.

We will just have to disagree. I think 8-8 after 7 years of "rebuilding " is not impressive and you are impressed by 8-8. Then again you would not be old enough to remember how this franchise was once run. Every year it was super bowl or a failed season. If you'll notice most of my time has been spent showing how the team has taken 7 years and still gone nowhere yet. Is their light in the tunnel I believe so but it is still dim and they need leaps of improvement to get back to respectability.

So not only are you putting words in my mouth now, you also happen to know what I was doing when I was younger.

I'm done with this thread.

Even though we are far from where we need to be I would argue that we have reached a level of respectability. I dont think too many teams go into games against us thinking its a cake walk. We played every team hard this year and were not blown out. We destroyed AZ and almost beat the Colts and Vikings if it wasn't for a mircale.

So not only are you putting words in my mouth now, you also happen to know what I was doing when I was younger.

I'm done with this thread.

The title of the thread used impressive that is what we are discussing. As for what you were doing when you were younger, your 23 right? Then by the time you could be a fan the team was in starting to begin its decline and by the time you would be old enough to really know and care as you do now they were pretty much in stink mode.

Then again you would not be old enough to remember how this franchise was once run.[/b] Every year it was super bowl or a failed season.

This was not a derogatory statement toward you just a fact that you missed so many glorious years. Let me tell you I lived through the late 70's and they sucked.

I agree. Too many team have turned it around from one season to the next to say they are exceptions to the rule. Bernie Madoff has nothing on the 49er brass. They're selling the fans another lost season and calling it progress and the fans are buying.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by Daa-Doo:
LMFAO ... it never fails. The vultures go right to hating. I wonder what a NFL team would look like with them as the leadership; them making the decisions. lol

Classic 9r haters.

Don't let them get you down!

There are plenty of realistic Niner fans on the board who recognize that Rome wasn't built in a day.

As you say, there were many positive steps made this year. One step at a time.

Starting with two first round picks this year!

True ...... We are finally on our way up again! The majority of the people who are so negative, in my opinion, are Niner fans under the age of 30, or are just the type that need to b***h and moan about things. If we look at where this team was the last 7 years, compared to the direction it is heading, there is no other realistic response, other than positive.

Sooo ........ Yes, it is okay to be happy with mediocre. As long as we can see the positive advances the team is finally making again!

Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
I grew up seeing the niners as the best team in the NFL. This .500 stuff isn't niner football, and a rebuild isn't supposed to take a decade. Sorry, but I don't understand how anyone can be impressed with mediocrity.

No one is saying they are impressed by mediocrity, just that it is good to see progress being made. Not one person here has said that anyone is impressed by mediocrity except the ones trying to put others down for it. Now if some of you cannot see that this team is making strides towards being a playoff team, that is you guys own problem. Most of us do recognize that we are better than in any point since the Garcia/Owen/Hearst days.

The title of this thread is "Very impressed withe 9rs..." I'm saying there is nothing to be impressed about. Are they getting better? Yes, but "impressive" is not a word I'd use. That's all.

Eventhough we are not in the PO this yr doesn't mean that impressive things did not happen to this team. just a couple for you

1. Vern.
2. Vern
3. Franklin. Everyone was calling him a bust last yr
4 defense making the strides at least on the Run and turnovers
5. Crabtree. We now have a true #1 Wr on the team.
6. Alex. I am not a fan of him but he has impressed me enough to know that we don't have to waste a 1st rd pick on another this yr.
7. Sing. Yes he made some mistakes this yr, but i like him alot.

I don't think anyone is happy with the end results but we do have a lot to look fwd to next season.

It's basically what I said in my other thread. There are bright spots here and there, but it's still pretty much the same old story. They have the potential to do this and that, but I want to see it blossom already. When the niners are a consistent winner, only then will I be impressed. Once again, we're stuck hoping the team gets better after yet another blown season.

I feel ya but this aint the niners of the 80-90's That is a dominance that you wont see.WE are lucky because that dominance made us fans. On the other hand this is not the niners of Nolan any longer. Hopefully this is the start of good things.This team made some similar mistakes that non playoff teams do but they also did a lot more overall positive strides.

This isn't even the NFL of the 80's-90's. Totally different game than now, people just need to realize that the NFL of today is a different animal. Honor the past but do not dwell in it.

The NFL is different? Then tell me why teams like the Patriots, Colts, and Eagles have dominated this decade. Winning isn't due to era, it's due to ownership, coaches, and players. If the niners ever get this winning combo, maybe then there wouldn't be as many pessimistic fans such as myself.

The NFL is different in many ways, the salary cap and free agency are two examples. Also how the rules have been changed to favor the offense and particularly the passing game. The reason the aforementioned teams have been so successful for the past decade had alot to do with them finding a system that works for them and sticking with it. Organizational stability is what this team has been lacking since Eddie decided that mob business was more important than running the best organization in football.

Are you giving them an excuse for winning? What a laugh. The point is, they're doing it right, and the niners have not. There's nothing unreasonable about winning consistently, and especially with how many quick arounds there have been as leakyfaucet posted. Everyone knows how the NFL and its rules have changed over the years, but winning wasn't one of them.

That is exactly what I said, I guess you missed the point. The aforementioned teams have been very stable and those QB's have had a chance to develop as a young QB should. While our Niners...well, you know the score. You should realize that a team constantly changing direction is a team getting nowhere.

That is exactly what I said, I guess you missed the point. The aforementioned teams have been very stable and those QB's have had a chance to develop as a young QB should. While our Niners...well, you know the score. You should realize that a team constantly changing direction is a team getting nowhere.

Which is why I say there is nothing to be impressed about.

The only thing that I am happy about is the improved play of this team. I am glad that we don't get blown out by the good teams like we did every year under Nolan. I guess that doesn't matter to you, but it is a sure sign that this team is improving. Dwell on the negative if you want, I am cautiously optimistic as a rule.

The only thing that I am happy about is the improved play of this team. I am glad that we don't get blown out by the good teams like we did every year under Nolan. I guess that doesn't matter to you, but it is a sure sign that this team is improving. Dwell on the negative if you want, I am cautiously optimistic as a rule.

No, it matters. I posted earlier that I know we're getting better. I'm saying what this niner team is at the moment is not impressive. We can use flowery words and throw out "potential" as much as we want, but the results aren't here yet.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by Daa-Doo:
LMFAO ... it never fails. The vultures go right to hating. I wonder what a NFL team would look like with them as the leadership; them making the decisions. lol

Classic 9r haters.

Don't let them get you down!

There are plenty of realistic Niner fans on the board who recognize that Rome wasn't built in a day.

As you say, there were many positive steps made this year. One step at a time.

Starting with two first round picks this year!

Agree. Go 49ers!
Share 49ersWebzone