LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 157 users in the forums

Very impressed with the 9rs and the organization this season...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We are heading in the right direction.
The most important thing is establishing a defense. Sing has done a great job doing that, everybody knows you don't win the big dance without a defense; now it's just a matter of a time, and a player or two, before our offense can establish an identity. We don't need a 40+ point a game offense, we just need more consistency out of everybody, and I believe that we can accomplished that next year.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I grew up seeing the niners as the best team in the NFL. This .500 stuff isn't niner football, and a rebuild isn't supposed to take a decade. Sorry, but I don't understand how anyone can be impressed with mediocrity.

No one is saying they are impressed by mediocrity, just that it is good to see progress being made. Not one person here has said that anyone is impressed by mediocrity except the ones trying to put others down for it. Now if some of you cannot see that this team is making strides towards being a playoff team, that is you guys own problem. Most of us do recognize that we are better than in any point since the Garcia/Owen/Hearst days.

The title of this thread is "Very impressed withe 9rs..." I'm saying there is nothing to be impressed about. Are they getting better? Yes, but "impressive" is not a word I'd use. That's all.

Eventhough we are not in the PO this yr doesn't mean that impressive things did not happen to this team. just a couple for you

1. Vern.
2. Vern
3. Franklin. Everyone was calling him a bust last yr
4 defense making the strides at least on the Run and turnovers
5. Crabtree. We now have a true #1 Wr on the team.
6. Alex. I am not a fan of him but he has impressed me enough to know that we don't have to waste a 1st rd pick on another this yr.
7. Sing. Yes he made some mistakes this yr, but i like him alot.

I don't think anyone is happy with the end results but we do have a lot to look fwd to next season.

It's basically what I said in my other thread. There are bright spots here and there, but it's still pretty much the same old story. They have the potential to do this and that, but I want to see it blossom already. When the niners are a consistent winner, only then will I be impressed. Once again, we're stuck hoping the team gets better after yet another blown season.

I feel ya but this aint the niners of the 80-90's That is a dominance that you wont see.WE are lucky because that dominance made us fans. On the other hand this is not the niners of Nolan any longer. Hopefully this is the start of good things.This team made some similar mistakes that non playoff teams do but they also did a lot more overall positive strides.

This isn't even the NFL of the 80's-90's. Totally different game than now, people just need to realize that the NFL of today is a different animal. Honor the past but do not dwell in it.
I grew up seeing the niners as the best team in the NFL. This .500 stuff isn't niner football, and a rebuild isn't supposed to take a decade. Sorry, but I don't understand how anyone can be impressed with mediocrity.

No one is saying they are impressed by mediocrity, just that it is good to see progress being made. Not one person here has said that anyone is impressed by mediocrity except the ones trying to put others down for it. Now if some of you cannot see that this team is making strides towards being a playoff team, that is you guys own problem. Most of us do recognize that we are better than in any point since the Garcia/Owen/Hearst days.

The title of this thread is "Very impressed withe 9rs..." I'm saying there is nothing to be impressed about. Are they getting better? Yes, but "impressive" is not a word I'd use. That's all.

Eventhough we are not in the PO this yr doesn't mean that impressive things did not happen to this team. just a couple for you

1. Vern.
2. Vern
6. Alex. I am not a fan of him but he has impressed me enough to know that we don't have to waste a 1st rd pick on another this yr.

I don't think anyone is happy with the end results but we do have a lot to look fwd to next season.

It's basically what I said in my other thread. There are bright spots here and there, but it's still pretty much the same old story. They have the potential to do this and that, but I want to see it blossom already. When the niners are a consistent winner, only then will I be impressed. Once again, we're stuck hoping the team gets better after yet another blown season.

I feel ya but this aint the niners of the 80-90's That is a dominance that you wont see.WE are lucky because that dominance made us fans. On the other hand this is not the niners of Nolan any longer. Hopefully this is the start of good things.This team made some similar mistakes that non playoff teams do but they also did a lot more overall positive strides.

This isn't even the NFL of the 80's-90's. Totally different game than now, people just need to realize that the NFL of today is a different animal. Honor the past but do not dwell in it.

The NFL is different? Then tell me why teams like the Patriots, Colts, and Eagles have dominated this decade. Winning isn't due to era, it's due to ownership, coaches, and players. If the niners ever get this winning combo, maybe then there wouldn't be as many pessimistic fans such as myself.
I think we were 7-9 last year and right now we are 7-8 so if we don't win tomorrow we will have the same record. The offense went from 23rd to 29th and the defense is allowing more yards per game but less points per game so that is like a stalemate. Were is this progression that some are talking about? If we win in Stl we will hae improved our record by 1 game and stats wise gone nowhere. I not saying we suck but 7 years is a long time to be 8-8 or worse.

Over the past eight NFL seasons, 14 teams have reached the playoffs after winning five games or fewer the year before. Just look at last year. Baltimore, Atlanta and Miami each reached the playoffs after finishing last in their divisions in 2007. All three had new coaches in 2008

2008 Baltimore 11-5 5-11

2008 Atlanta 11-5 4-12

2008 Miami 11-5 1-15

2007 Washington 9-7 5-11

2007 Tampa Bay 9-7 4-12

2006 New York Jets 10-6 4-12

2006 New Orleans 10-6 3-13

2005 Chicago 11-5 5-11

2005 Tampa Bay 11-5 5-11

2004 San Diego 12-4 4-12

2004 Atlanta 11-5 5-11

2003 Dallas 10-6 5-11

2001 New England 11-5 5-11

2001 Chicago 13-3 5-11

Quick turnarounds happen more than people think but is has been very slow in Niner land. We have been Laying the Foundation for 7 years now.

1. Vern.
2. Vern

The NFL is different? Then tell me why teams like the Patriots, Colts, and Eagles have dominated this decade. Winning isn't due to era, it's due to ownership, coaches, and players. If the niners ever get this winning combo, maybe then there wouldn't be as many pessimistic fans such as myself.

The NFL is different in many ways, the salary cap and free agency are two examples. Also how the rules have been changed to favor the offense and particularly the passing game. The reason the aforementioned teams have been so successful for the past decade had alot to do with them finding a system that works for them and sticking with it. Organizational stability is what this team has been lacking since Eddie decided that mob business was more important than running the best organization in football.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I think we were 7-9 last year and right now we are 7-8 so if we don't win tomorrow we will have the same record. The offense went from 23rd to 29th and the defense is allowing more yards per game but less points per game so that is like a stalemate. Were is this progression that some are talking about? If we win in Stl we will hae improved our record by 1 game and stats wise gone nowhere. I not saying we suck but 7 years is a long time to be 8-8 or worse.

Over the past eight NFL seasons, 14 teams have reached the playoffs after winning five games or fewer the year before. Just look at last year. Baltimore, Atlanta and Miami each reached the playoffs after finishing last in their divisions in 2007. All three had new coaches in 2008

2008 Baltimore 11-5 5-11

2008 Atlanta 11-5 4-12

2008 Miami 11-5 1-15

2007 Washington 9-7 5-11

2007 Tampa Bay 9-7 4-12

2005 Chicago 11-5 5-11

2005 Tampa Bay 11-5 5-11

2004 San Diego 12-4 4-12

2004 Atlanta 11-5 5-11

2003 Dallas 10-6 5-11

2001 Chicago 13-3 5-11

Quick turnarounds happen more than people think but is has been very slow in Niner land. We have been Laying the Foundation for 7 years now.

Great post.

Its sad that so many fans are satisfied with being at 8-8. The Yorks really have set the bar low, this team has been sucking for a decade. In my book we still suck, yah we may suck a little less then previous years. But 8-8 is nothing to be proud of. We have been rebuilding for almost a decade now.

1. Vern.
2. Vern

The NFL is different in many ways, the salary cap and free agency are two examples. Also how the rules have been changed to favor the offense and particularly the passing game. The reason the aforementioned teams have been so successful for the past decade had alot to do with them finding a system that works for them and sticking with it. Organizational stability is what this team has been lacking since Eddie decided that mob business was more important than running the best organization in football.

Are you giving them an excuse for winning? What a laugh. The point is, they're doing it right, and the niners have not. There's nothing unreasonable about winning consistently, and especially with how many quick arounds there have been as leakyfaucet posted. Everyone knows how the NFL and its rules have changed over the years, but winning wasn't one of them.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by susweel:
We have some unrealistic fans with unrealistic expectations from the team as it stood coming into this year. The realistic fans realize this team still has a couple of holes to fill before they are legit contenders. The ones that post constant negativity, but call themselves realists just refuse to see that the team is better. One good off season could fill these needs, a good draft and a couple of free agents that fit the needs we have and we will be competing for the playoffs. We pretty much own this division now, we just have to get better on the road. What I want to see from the team most of all is consistency and balance on the offense, a designated returner, and better play by our secondary. I am happy with the steps the team has taken for the most part, we just have to build on the foundation that has been laid.

The niners are like a 1972 Chevy Nova. You fix problem and you got two new ones. These holes that we have may or may not get fixed but I guarantee that we will some new problems that nobody can predict.

You are such a perfectionist. If something is not perfect, you b***h and cry about it. Tell me, which team has no holes? Saints? They can't stop the run. Colts? They can't run the ball. San Diego? They have a very suspect defense in general. Patriots? They have a s**tty pass defense. Last year's SB winner Steelers? They can't protect the QB. You tell me a perfect team.

Bottomline: No team is perfect. Especially in the FA era. You can't compare today's teams with dynasty teams like the 80-90's 49ers. The rules are different now.

The difference is those teams are winners and our team is not. Those teams are in the playoffs every year and we are not.

So I will to b***h and complain until we actually win. You can go and brag about the 7 or 8 win seasons. I demand better and so should the rest of you.

2008 Baltimore 11-5 5-11

2008 Atlanta 11-5 4-12

2008 Miami 11-5 1-15

2007 Washington 9-7 5-11

2007 Tampa Bay 9-7 4-12

2005 Chicago 11-5 5-11

2005 Tampa Bay 11-5 5-11

2004 San Diego 12-4 4-12

2004 Atlanta 11-5 5-11

2003 Dallas 10-6 5-11

2001 Chicago 13-3 5-11

I agree that we haven't done a good job of turning it around, I blame the owners the most for that, then GM.

But to say that this team has barely improved is an over statement. You are reading way into just one single stat line. Your saying that our defense is the same as last year? because they allow more yards? sorry, last time I checked the game is won/lost by points on the scoreboard, not how many yards one team allowed.

The reason why we are allowing more yards, is because we have a more dominant run defense, so teams tend to throw more against us, than previous years. Passing Yards > Rushing Yards. We are one of the best teams in 3rd down conversions against, and that is a huge stats, compared to last year. Our T.O ratio hasn't been this good for a long time, either. How about Sacks? How about QB's pressure's? We vastly improved in that area.

Our offense, we actually had some blow out wins, which also hasn't happened in a long time (not last year). The reason why this offense has dropped in ranking, is because we don't have Martz calling pass every time; once againt Passing Yards > Rushing Yards. When was the last time we had a receiver with over 10 TD's? This offense is better than last year's offense, since it doesn't turn the ball over as much, and still puts up some points (although, I agree that our offense still has to improve).

The only game last year that makes you bash your head, is the game against AZ on MNF, beside that we didn't really give our self a shot to a win other games.

Can you honestly say that last year, this team could have gone up against Indy, and held Peyton to 0 TD's and 18 points? Or shut down Peterson, and Favre, beside a last minute miracle? or get 7 TO's in two different games?

Turn the TV on, watch Niners football, and put the espn stat book away, it's more than just that.

Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
We are heading in the right direction.

Thank you
Originally posted by Daa-Doo:
I normally just read everyone's thoughts, because if we dare to post an opinion, typically the reaction from the zoners is reactive and void of any deep thought. But I keep reading this crap about the team, and felt compelled to share...

We have moved from the freakin' laughing stock of the NFL, to a legitimate conteding football team. These past years have been F'n awful. So many broken remotes, couches ... chasing the kids around the house threatening to Patrick Willis them both lol

Sometimes the dichotomy that is 9r fan is funny to follow. One week we cheer, then he next week we are pist. Perhaps the "glory" years spoiled us, but what is up with all the haters? Have you forgotten the past 6 years? The F'n blowouts!? NOT saying a word at work? Keeping your mouth shut at a bar because our team is just awful - Pathetic football...but now, now we look good and WILL be better next season.

We are a couple of points away from the next level this year...

The coaching staff is new, learning and impressing me. Although some of you may think they are neophytes, the truth is, they were able, on a dime, to change the entire offense. This is amazing, to go from a RUN first, to throw? They managed d this change in a week! Our offense rank is 29! How great is that? 29 and this close to the playoffs? (I know, playoffs? lmao) As our offense grows, and we rise up the ranks, the possibilities are exciting.

Smith was MUCH improved - I watch the games and see that additional improvement is needed too. I feel confident he will work hard, study and continue grow.
Gore looks awesome, of course
VD has come into his own - he looks awesome. Couple of drops, but take the bad for the good. Wish he would have caught the missed TD against Seattle … uh
Crabtree is amazing - can't wait to see him next season
Morgan is a pimp - really coming into his own. Very athletic
Need a RT, for sure; maybe a guard too

Need a solid returner

The Defense looks sharp with only a few needs to be complete.

GM did a great job acquiring another first round pick - Brilliant!

Sing and his staff have been strong, humble and willing ... these are sure signs of leadership. Leadership has been lost for sometime in the city by the bay...

I am excited about the possibility of 8-8 this year. I am always a 9r fan, and now, now I can say we are at least .500 ... it is compilation of little victories that creates champions.

Here is to a healthy and happy 49er 2010 to all of you!

9r4lf
Daa-Doo

Thanks, I basically agree with your perspective.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

2008 Baltimore 11-5 5-11

2008 Atlanta 11-5 4-12

2008 Miami 11-5 1-15

2007 Washington 9-7 5-11

2007 Tampa Bay 9-7 4-12

2005 Chicago 11-5 5-11

2005 Tampa Bay 11-5 5-11

2004 San Diego 12-4 4-12

2004 Atlanta 11-5 5-11

2003 Dallas 10-6 5-11

2001 Chicago 13-3 5-11

I agree that we haven't done a good job of turning it around, I blame the owners the most for that, then GM.

But to say that this team has barely improved is an over statement. You are reading way into just one single stat line. Your saying that our defense is the same as last year? because they allow more yards? sorry, last time I checked the game is won/lost by points on the scoreboard, not how many yards one team allowed.

The reason why we are allowing more yards, is because we have a more dominant run defense, so teams tend to throw more against us, than previous years. Passing Yards > Rushing Yards. We are one of the best teams in 3rd down conversions against, and that is a huge stats, compared to last year. Our T.O ratio hasn't been this good for a long time, either. How about Sacks? How about QB's pressure's? We vastly improved in that area.

Our offense, we actually had some blow out wins, which also hasn't happened in a long time (not last year). The reason why this offense has dropped in ranking, is because we don't have Martz calling pass every time; once againt Passing Yards > Rushing Yards. When was the last time we had a receiver with over 10 TD's? This offense is better than last year's offense, since it doesn't turn the ball over as much, and still puts up some points (although, I agree that our offense still has to improve).

The only game last year that makes you bash your head, is the game against AZ on MNF, beside that we didn't really give our self a shot to a win other games.

Can you honestly say that last year, this team could have gone up against Indy, and held Peyton to 0 TD's and 18 points? Or shut down Peterson, and Favre, beside a last minute miracle? or get 7 TO's in two different games?

Turn the TV on, watch Niners football, and put the espn stat book away, it's more than just that.

If you could read English you would note that I did say the defense was allowing fewer points. So using you same argument the offense is scoring less also. I don't need stats to see that we have the same damn record as last year at this time. 3 head coaches in 7 years 3 GM's in 7 years and 7 offensive cord. in 7 years not to mention about 10 or 12 starting QB's, but hey if they win tomorrow then you can feel happy about that 1 game improvement. In the final out come the only thing that matters is W's and L's
If you could read English you would note that I did say the defense was allowing fewer points

the defense is allowing more yards per game but less points per game so that is like a stalemate. Were is this progression that some are talking about?

You are questioning the progress of this team, maybe you should read more carefully what I said...
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Jan 2, 2010 at 9:18 PM ]
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
If you could read English you would note that I did say the defense was allowing fewer points

the defense is allowing more yards per game but less points per game so that is like a stalemate. Were is this progression that some are talking about?

You are questioning the progress of this team, maybe you should read more carefully what I said...

Wow you must work for TMZ because that statement said;
The offense went from 23rd to 29th and the defense is allowing more yards per game but less points per game so that is like a stalemate. Were is this progression that some are talking about?

like a stalemate was referring to the entire team not just the defense.
Bottom line you must like this thing called mediocrity I for one see glimmers of hope but am not impressed with 7-9 or 8-8 that is not progress. In the NFL progress is measured in Wins and Championships, hell even division tiles count for something.
Share 49ersWebzone