There are 247 users in the forums

Bee-Rows : Don't expect cornerback Nate Clements to go anywhere next season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • evil
  • Veteran
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/01/cb-chatter-clem.html

And so ends that discussion according to MB.
Damn
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I will wait until the off season, that's you would expect them to say. You also don't want hurt his trade value just in case that possibility comes up.
I've never been a big fan of signing Clements. I understand Clements has done a good job of nailing down one side of our defensive secondary but he never had been the shut down corner he was suppose to be. Clements cost too much for the lack of on the field production.

With that said I think it is a smart move to let him go into the offseason as the PRESUMPTIVE starting CB. Nothing in this report says to me that Clements is a lock to start at CB next year. There are too many question marks about his speed and covering ability. Plus the 9ers don't know how Brown will develop and if Walt Harris comes back close to the same player he was when he got hurt.

Assuming Spencer is our starting CB on the other side the 9ers are sitting pretty with the options of Clements, Brown, and possibility Harris. I really like our CB situation.

As for safety, if Clements doesn't work out there I'd like to see if he'd take a salary cut to move to SS.
Originally posted by susweel:
I will wait until the off season, that's you would expect them to say. You also don't want hurt his trade value just in case that possibility comes up.

Agree
I'm thinking he's going to be our starting CB on opening day next season.

There's nothing but fan speculation to indicate otherwise....

-9fA
Why would we get rid of him? He's a good player. He's also helped shut down Larry Fitzgerald since he got here compared with what we had before he got here.
Good he's still valuable and this doesn't put us in a jam to "have to" drat a CB very early.
That contract's going to need some Alex Smith style restructuring
Originally posted by jreff22:
Good he's still valuable and this doesn't put us in a jam to "have to" drat a CB very early.

• A-R-S
  • Veteran
Anyone catch this interesting line?

Quote:
Bly, meanwhile, was on the verge of being released after his Deion-esque interception-turned-fumble against Atlanta.

I did not know that.
[ Edited by A-R-S on Jan 2, 2010 at 12:53 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by A-R-S:

Quote:
Bly, meanwhile, was on the verge of being released after his Deion-esque interception-turned-fumble against Atlanta.

I did not know that.

Yah remember that's why he had to apologize like a little biiaatch.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by A-R-S:

Quote:

I did not know that.

Yah remember that's why he had to apologize like a little biiaatch.

Haha, i remember him being forced to apologize, I just didn't know Sing actually considered releasing him. Wow.
This is great news. Spencer is on the verg of probowl status and Nate is a very good corner. At the moment I dont care about his salary because we are so far under the cap. If the cap becomes an issue later on then lets worry about it. For now we dont need to create more wholes on our team roster.

At the moment Nate isn't playing shutdown football, but maybe he's just in a slump? It happens in sports you know. If you remember at the beginning of the season he was playing lights out and everyone was like "Nates back." Then he had a few ok games, not horrible and everyones like "he's washed up."
Originally posted by taney71:
I've never been a big fan of signing Clements. I understand Clements has done a good job of nailing down one side of our defensive secondary but he never had been the shut down corner he was suppose to be. Clements cost too much for the lack of on the field production.

With that said I think it is a smart move to let him go into the offseason as the PRESUMPTIVE starting CB. Nothing in this report says to me that Clements is a lock to start at CB next year. There are too many question marks about his speed and covering ability. Plus the 9ers don't know how Brown will develop and if Walt Harris comes back close to the same player he was when he got hurt.

Assuming Spencer is our starting CB on the other side the 9ers are sitting pretty with the options of Clements, Brown, and possibility Harris. I really like our CB situation.

As for safety, if Clements doesn't work out there I'd like to see if he'd take a salary cut to move to SS.

Why does everyone on this board keep saying that? I have never ever read anything that would suggest that the staff wants to do that and Clement in an interview 2 months ago said he absolutely does not want to be a saftey. He kept saying, "I'm a corner, I'm a corner." And you can tell the host was getting on his nerves with that.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 2, 2010 at 1:04 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone