LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

batted down passes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
dj43, it's useless.

People just want to fuel their "Smith sucks" ammo.

-9fA

That's not it. What you guys are saying is already a given. I'm sure most of this board understands the OL needs something but at the same time, Alex should be making more plays than he has to this point. We just want to see tha intangible headzy play but he isn't doing it as often as any QB in the league. I've seen it probably once and that was that rush pull back sideline TD pass to Gore. He just isn't making enough of somethings out is nothing.

I agree with your statement, but what does that have anything to do with his passes being batted down?

You see where i'm going with this?

-9fA

He needs to be more aware of it. The screen passes are too much of a timing where he can't avoid it but he can do a little more with the check downs that get batted.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Originally posted by Sugatis:
If Raye was smart he would be running some bootlegs etc to move the pocket - but we know that is not the case

Enough said...

If Raye was awake is more like it.
Originally posted by skibeerski:
Batted down passes, INT's, poorly thrown balls...yes the 0-line is subpar and the playcalling is vanilla, but we can't keep making excuses for Alex Smith. Even when he has time he rarely hits his WR's in stride nor puts them in a position to make some gains after the catch. Good QB's can make those throws. I've seen enough, it's time to find a QB. Smith will never be a top ten QB in this league.

Whole heartedly agree with this one
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
One of the passes batted down had the replay shown and: there was one defender with his arm up along the entire line when Smith prepared to throw and he threw it right into the one spot where it would get batted.

That was the play where Baas got beat in the gap and he was pushing the guy right into the passing lane as he was trying to block him. I wasn't at the game this time so I don't know if anyone else was in a pattern that made them available, however, when I have been able to observe the receivers, there has not been much separation.

I am as disappointed in the lack of development of receivers as I am with Smith and the OL. This team is just not well coached offensively.

I won't even start on Raye's play design and sequencing.

Again, excellent football analysis DJ. It's clear the offensive coaching is seriously lacking. We must address this during the off-season. If we're not looking at replacing Raye, something must be done about Chris Forester and Jerry Sullivan.

Please?

Well DJ has been saying our OL needs to learn to cut block the DL, and Sing said that was the reason for the batted balls too, if he knows they need to do it, my question is WHY AREN'T THEY DOING IT? It has to be a coaching issue right? Or are these guys just not any good at blocking?
It's the same problem that hurts him in every facet of his game: he can't read blitzes, schemes, and coverages. If he did he'd know those passing lanes would be closed to him.
Originally posted by 4JusticeNow:
It's the same problem that hurts him in every facet of his game: he can't read blitzes, schemes, and coverages. If he did he'd know those passing lanes would be closed to him.

I disagree with that. You can't speak in absolutes when in fact he's done that and shown that before.

The oline can actually help out in having him complete his passes by performing cutblocks to get defenders to keep their hands down.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
One of the passes batted down had the replay shown and: there was one defender with his arm up along the entire line when Smith prepared to throw and he threw it right into the one spot where it would get batted.

That was the play where Baas got beat in the gap and he was pushing the guy right into the passing lane as he was trying to block him. I wasn't at the game this time so I don't know if anyone else was in a pattern that made them available, however, when I have been able to observe the receivers, there has not been much separation.

I am as disappointed in the lack of development of receivers as I am with Smith and the OL. This team is just not well coached offensively.

I won't even start on Raye's play design and sequencing.

Again, excellent football analysis DJ. It's clear the offensive coaching is seriously lacking. We must address this during the off-season. If we're not looking at replacing Raye, something must be done about Chris Forester and Jerry Sullivan.

Please?

another mehod I have seen teams implement is run blocking a WR Screen pass. This keeps the DL from getting upfield to bat the ball. Rate is teaching pass blocking without an undercut, which is just too easy for the DE.
Smith does indeed stare at his receivers and the defensive line sees that and puts their hands up in the passing lane.

Smith is kind of mechanical, still winds up, and that gives them time.

He doesn't move crisply in the pocket to find lanes. Look at how Garcia did it, with almost frantic movement, even jump passes.

Somebody said the coaches don't allow him to do that. Maybe they like stationary tall in the pock types, an almost impossible way to play unless you have the best line in the league.

The OL doesn't cut-block, I would guess because they aren't supposed to, like that isn't the technique they are trying to do. Maybe it is felt it limits the other types of blocks if they are down on the ground.

It is therefore the fault of Smith, the line and the coaches. No surprise there, eh?
Originally posted by danielpritchard:
is there a stat for batted down passes at the line of scrimmage? i sware Alex Smith would break the record if there was lol, anyone else notice this? is it because they dont know how to throw the ball over 5 yards?

Smith had 8 coming into this week, but he had like 3 or 4 today. part of having balls batted down has to do with getting poor protection, but Smith does seem to have that happen alot. the league leader has 16

the top 3 guys are McNabb (16), Warner (14), and Brees (13)

so its not like having balls batted is only a crappy QB trait. granted those guys do throw a ton of balls every week.

either way he needs to work on his timing to avoid it. pick better throwing lanes? who knows.
Share 49ersWebzone