There are 187 users in the forums

batted down passes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by danielpritchard:
is there a stat for batted down passes at the line of scrimmage? i sware Alex Smith would break the record if there was lol, anyone else notice this? is it because they dont know how to throw the ball over 5 yards?

Thats probably the only record he'll break... oh, and the passes to the side line too.

Too bad Rivers throws the ball away a lot more per attempt. Not only just season, but I'm sure he led the league the last two years. Very close this year with Ryan at the top with Rivers and Garrard right behind him. You don't watch many other teams every week so it's easy to assume he just throws the ball away too much or gets the ball batted down. Guess what though it happens to everyone.

I actually c a bunch of games, i had to get the sunday t..t, since i leave in another state, but 9er faithful.
Hey, is rivers and ryan in the playoffs????
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
told ya the next few posts completely ignore the fact that the best way to beat lineman jumping is to block correctly, like they did in philly.

the next person that posts, please include this, and then gon on with the smith hate.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.... dude, cant u think of a better excuse.

its not HATE, its the truth....

F*k it even if it is the truth, wouldnt you want him to get better just because hes the starting quarterback of our team. You will be eating crow by next seasons end.

F..k it??? that shows me what type of attitude u have... no wonder u love alex.
if next year he's the superstar u dream of, I'll eat crow. but if he's not, you gonna eat PELOS.

Originally posted by danielpritchard:
is there a stat for batted down passes at the line of scrimmage? i sware Alex Smith would break the record if there was lol, anyone else notice this? is it because they dont know how to throw the ball over 5 yards?

Thats probably the only record he'll break... oh, and the passes to the side line too.

Too bad Rivers throws the ball away a lot more per attempt. Not only just season, but I'm sure he led the league the last two years. Very close this year with Ryan at the top with Rivers and Garrard right behind him. You don't watch many other teams every week so it's easy to assume he just throws the ball away too much or gets the ball batted down. Guess what though it happens to everyone.

I actually c a bunch of games, i had to get the sunday t..t, since i leave in another state, but 9er faithful.
Hey, is rivers and ryan in the playoffs????

Hey, the Niners are a way better team then both of them right? I highlight a simple statistic that doesn't happen to Smith more than it does to almost anyone else and it turns into bashing Smith on your part.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
told ya the next few posts completely ignore the fact that the best way to beat lineman jumping is to block correctly, like they did in philly.

the next person that posts, please include this, and then gon on with the smith hate.

Scheme does make a difference but most teams don't take out the DL knees as often as you think and for as many times Alex is getting his batted on check downs, he's just as much at fault. He needs to start to shift into a passing lane.

I've looked at the Philly game and they cut DL on every short pass. On deeper drops and shotgun formations, they blocked from a stand-up position.

My point, and I've made it in numerous threads, is that the 49ers NEVER use cut block technique. That is just poor coaching, PERIOD!

I have been very critical of OL play over the past 6-8 weeks as I continue to see no progress in several areas of line play, including allowing passing lanes for short passes.

Here is what I have seen teams do against the 49ers: they take away all the medium depth stuff with safeties and play press coverage with CBs to take away the outside stuff. This forces everything to the middle and short. Then the front 7 occupy both the A and B gaps and get up in Smith's face. They also overload one side of the line to force Smith away from the strong side of the formation.

All of this makes the passing option much more predictable to allow the DL to clog the passing lanes with hands in the air...and it has worked all too well.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

Thanks brotha, in your attempt at bein a smart ass, you actually supported. Any other words than an adressing what the line can and cant do is hate.

So thanks for the support Hater.

And once again, no excuse, Philly knows how to correct the lineman from keeping their hands in the air. Dont believe me, Hmmmm, we did lose in philly right. Hmm, there was almost no sacks, correct. Hmm, but maybe we won the philly game and im just makin excuses.

Give me a break.

Its all kool dude, no hate. i actually was very happy he got another chance during the texan game. but what can i say.... sorry if i hurt ur feelings.

Blah blah you do know McNabb leads the league in batted passes right?!?! I support Smith, but don't make silly statements.

ok ok ok ok..... go Alex ur our hero and only hope. u feel better now?
by the way, im impressed with ur stat principals.

Thanks brotha, in your attempt at bein a smart ass, you actually supported. Any other words than an adressing what the line can and cant do is hate.

And once again, no excuse, Philly knows how to correct the lineman from keeping their hands in the air. Dont believe me, Hmmmm, we did lose in philly right. Hmm, there was almost no sacks, correct. Hmm, but maybe we won the philly game and im just makin excuses.

Give me a break.

Its all kool dude, no hate. i actually was very happy he got another chance during the texan game. but what can i say.... sorry if i hurt ur feelings.

Blah blah you do know McNabb leads the league in batted passes right?!?! I support Smith, but don't make silly statements.

Does McNabb reall lead the league in batted passes??
One of the passes batted down had the replay shown and: there was one defender with his arm up along the entire line when Smith prepared to throw and he threw it right into the one spot where it would get batted.
Originally posted by jays9ers:

Give me a break.

Does McNabb reall lead the league in batted passes??

Yes, as of this week prior to playing he was ahead by 2 over Warner.
The day Adam Snyder throws a cut block is the day that ___________________________________________ (you fill in the blank).

Cut blocks creates throwing lanes. If you don't cut block, throws to either side are likely to be deflected, blocked, tipped, mangled.

This is a technique issue with the line, not with the QB.
  • dj43
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
One of the passes batted down had the replay shown and: there was one defender with his arm up along the entire line when Smith prepared to throw and he threw it right into the one spot where it would get batted.

That was the play where Baas got beat in the gap and he was pushing the guy right into the passing lane as he was trying to block him. I wasn't at the game this time so I don't know if anyone else was in a pattern that made them available, however, when I have been able to observe the receivers, there has not been much separation.

I am as disappointed in the lack of development of receivers as I am with Smith and the OL. This team is just not well coached offensively.

I won't even start on Raye's play design and sequencing.

dj43, it's useless.

People just want to fuel their "Smith sucks" ammo.

-9fA
all i can say is lets get two o-linemen in the first round
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
dj43, it's useless.

-9fA
Oh, I get that. My stubborness just leads me to try to tell some of them, if the are willing to listen, that the problems with this team go much deeper than the inconsistency of Alex Smith.
dj43, it's useless.

-9fA

That's not it. What you guys are saying is already a given. I'm sure most of this board understands the OL needs something but at the same time, Alex should be making more plays than he has to this point. We just want to see tha intangible headzy play but he isn't doing it as often as any QB in the league. I've seen it probably once and that was that rush pull back sideline TD pass to Gore. He just isn't making enough of somethings out is nothing.
Originally posted by Joecool:
dj43, it's useless.

-9fA

That's not it. What you guys are saying is already a given. I'm sure most of this board understands the OL needs something but at the same time, Alex should be making more plays than he has to this point. We just want to see tha intangible headzy play but he isn't doing it as often as any QB in the league. I've seen it probably once and that was that rush pull back sideline TD pass to Gore. He just isn't making enough of somethings out is nothing.

I agree with your statement, but what does that have anything to do with his passes being batted down?

You see where i'm going with this?

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Dec 27, 2009 at 6:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone