Singletary apologizes to Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by crzy:
I can't wait until 2011 when we've finally realized what has been 100% apparent from Day 1.... that Alex Smith is not the answer

So you are rooting for the Niners to flop in 2010?

Go be a fan of the Raiders, the Niners don't need your type.

No hes just being realistic dude

No, realistic would be to say that we do not know whether Smith is the answer or not. What he is doing is hoping for failure so he can be right, which is more important to him than what is best for this team. He will be the starter going in to next year most likely and if after having an off season to build chemistry with his targets, he can't get it done, then we try a new QB, the best QB that was supposed to go pro this year decided to stay in Washington for one more year anyways, they rest of the guys are all over hyped anyways.

This is a great idea, lets just keep Brandon Jones as PR too and i bet he will build some type of chemestry 2 with special teams, even if he runs like a blind grasshopper. and if its not working (2010), we'll just keep him ONE MORE YEAR so he can develop.
Originally posted by susweel:
In all my years I have never heard of a coach apologizing to his players. Especially if that player has just thrown 3 ints.

Wtf is going on here

What he is doing is trying to keep Smiths confidence up, he doesn't really feel like he owes Smith an apology, Smith knows this too. What this is is Mike saying "Alex I got your back, you are our starting QB for this year and next, and I stand behind you 100%." That is WTF this is all about.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
In all my years I have never heard of a coach apologizing to his players. Especially if that player has just thrown 3 ints.

Wtf is going on here

What he is doing is trying to keep Smiths confidence up, he doesn't really feel like he owes Smith an apology, Smith knows this too. What this is is Mike saying "Alex I got your back, you are our starting QB for this year and next, and I stand behind you 100%." That is WTF this is all about.

Alex must feel good right now because he has a lot of people sucking his dick.
Originally posted by fly15:
I can't wait until 2011 when we've finally realized what has been 100% apparent from Day 1.... that Alex Smith is not the answer

No, realistic would be to say that we do not know whether Smith is the answer or not. What he is doing is hoping for failure so he can be right, which is more important to him than what is best for this team. He will be the starter going in to next year most likely and if after having an off season to build chemistry with his targets, he can't get it done, then we try a new QB, the best QB that was supposed to go pro this year decided to stay in Washington for one more year anyways, they rest of the guys are all over hyped anyways.

This is a great idea, lets just keep Brandon Jones as PR too and i bet he will build some type of chemestry 2 with special teams, even if he runs like a blind grasshopper. and if its not working (2010), we'll just keep him ONE MORE YEAR so he can develop.

That was a piss-poor attempt at sarcasm and an even worse analogy.

FAIL
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by fly15:

That was a piss-poor attempt at sarcasm and an even worse analogy.

FAIL

Since everyone is apologizing now a days, please welcome my apology.
But i still like Brandon Jones as PR.....

I agree with crzy. I'm sure crzy, just like self, is not hoping for failure. However, I feel that Alex is not the answer. That's not hoping for failure, that's just stating an opinion. We'll see though. Hope I'm wrong.

Wtf is going on here

Iron Mike sucks no man's dick. However if you make him mad enough he might let you in the back door
I don't get the people who want to see Alex gone in favor of an "elite" QB. Where would you propose the Niners get one?

There are about 26 NFL teams that would like to have an "elite" QB. They're kind of hard to find. But yet a few of these teams win despite that because they have the other pieces and decent coaching in place.

I am not sold on Alex Smith but for one thing, he's the best option we've got for now. There are several different issues that are much more pressing than the QB situation.

-The O-line

-Pass rushing

-Defensive secondary

-A receiving corp that is talented but stupid and a tight end that is more talented and more stupid than anyone.

-A OC that may or may not be alive.

If these situations aren't taken care of, we could have a QB that is a hybrid of Joe Montana/A tornado/Super Magic Jeebus and this team is still going to finish 8-8 next year and every year.

Wtf is going on here

Short of Sing banging Alex's wife in the locker room while precious Alex is out practicing the "Raye Gun", there is not a single thing in the world that the HC of the San Francisco 49ers should be apologizing to Alex Smith for. Even then.... well.... Listen, Alex Smith does not warrant an apology. Straight up.... We're led by a buffoon.

Gruden would look sweet in a 49er visor....
[ Edited by posterX on Dec 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM ]
i am absolutely amazed at how many folks just don't get the progression of logical occurrences when it comes to qB. Yes, the receivers have to catch the ball and we got 2 "catchers" in the top 10 with "drops" . That isn't Qb problem, guys, it is someone else's. More importantly, the #1 thing a team must have BEFORE they get a good Qb is an OL that can pass block. We have not had that in the last 7 yrs, except for one brief stint of Larry Allen and "Glass", who had trouble staying on the field. "No protection, no QB production" is the axiom, and it has been football truth since they started playing the game for money.

Now many of you dislike alex, and others are more charitable. I am just a 9er qb fan, and i pull like heck for whichever qb we have out there. I want all our qbs to do well, and the best one to start. But evaluating alex's performance when McClown failed to get him a decent line in 5 yrs? Hey, that's a GM problem, not a qB problem. Also it shows, painfully, that our GM doesn't subscribe to building a team from the Lines up. Scot has failed to do that, and he is FIVE yrs into his contract, which w/ another losing season is criminal. The guy has proved his incompetence, not alex.

You guys want to complain? Fine, but look where the blame lies...squarely at the feet of our GM, which now appears to have been a disastrous pick by the yorks. Nolan was worse, but scot just doesn't have it. So you want to be vitriolic? Great. Comment on how we have no idea what kind of QB we have after 5 yrs because our Gm never saw fit to do the right thing...the cardinal rule of football....PROTECT your qB...whoever he is.

There is nobody on this board that KNOWS alex is not the qb we need. Not until we can protect a qB will any of us know that. In the meantime, get mad. Get real mad. But direct your ire where it belongs... a failed GM who has given us 5 losing seasons and still , we have crap for line on offense. To me that is a sin, and if scot had any cojones, he should resign and let someone who knows what he is doing be the GM. Better yet, get a parcell's/ pioli/ loomis type HOFO. Do that, and THEN decide about your qb. Not until.

Earlier reported that jackarse for talking about dick sucking... mods do nothing... wow, no wonder I left this place. Ooops, guess MY warning will go up again soon... what a shame. Great place ya got here...
[ Edited by oldman9er on Dec 22, 2009 at 9:15 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
If Singletary held his ground and continued to rip on him today, then he'd be pulling what Nolan pulled against Smith.

If you have a patch work O-line, mediocre WR set, and a RB that you can't effective utilize in your current scheme, how do you foresee a QB performing well against playoff teams?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
So what makes Alex Smith so different then say Joey Harrington or Tim Couch? Is it we just have no better options at QB, is it you really think hes going to be our QB of the Future or is it just blind 49er loyalty?
Let's stop babying him. He's a veteran now. By now he should be able to carry this team on his back. He obviously can't so we need to look for a F/A QB or trade for one next year. Drafting a high draft pick QB for the future won't help us because by the time that QB develops, our core players will be in the decline and we'll be in perpetual rebuilding mode.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

Not really. Just because I expect Alex Smith to fail, doesn't mean that I hope for him to fail.

I just don't think he's talented enough to be a starting quarterback of a winning NFL team.

And all the blind praying and hoping that after five, six years, maybe Alex Smith will magically turn into a good quarterback.....it's all pointless. s**t just doesn't turn magically into gold.
Share 49ersWebzone