LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 250 users in the forums

No More Change!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Agreed with everyyyything, but, Jimmy Raye. He's got to go dude.

lol if you agree with everything, but think Raye needs to go, you pretty much disagreed with everything i just said.

Raye might be a mediocre OC. he might just not be that great, ok. we get that. but right now, this team doesnt need a mastermind OC, it needs continuity. young teams are prone to making the same mistakes over and over unless the get repitition of the same material and finally get it right.

maybe Raye stinks at moving an offense against good D's, but if he can take even his mediocre system, and let his players finally have something to digest for more than 1 season, they can grow from that as players.

if someone teaches you calculus, wouldnt you rather have a teacher that doesnt know the material quite as well, but works with you week after week until you start to get it? or smarter teachers who understand it more, but theres a new person teaching you every week in their own method.

youd rather have the less knowledgeable teacher who worked with you consistently.

its not the best example in the world, but the point im trying to make is, bringing in a new OC every year only confuses players. they have to learn the same system all over again in a different language. its like taking a year to learn the playbook in spanish, and then having to learn it in french the next year all over again.

changing OC's every season is more damaging to the offense than keeping one OC who isnt all that great. and we know Raye isnt in high demand, so he isnt going to get taken away. which is the whole reason Singletary wanted him. continuity is key. sing is a smart guy.

A-men! They are about an inch away on so many plays. So let Smith, Davis, Morgan, and Crabtree run 10,000,000 plays this offseason under Raye and Johnson. Same GM, same Head Coach, same QB Coach = big improvement.
  • flow
  • Veteran

Raye does not suck. Jim Hostler sucked.

Now, Raye may be mediocre, but I'd rather have mediocre and maintain some continuity than get a "mastermind" and start from scratch. Plus, with Raye, we don't have to worry about an enormous ego--like with Martz--or another team's offering a head coaching position--like with Turner.
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:

Now, Raye may be mediocre, but I'd rather have mediocre and maintain some continuity than get a "mastermind" and start from scratch. Plus, with Raye, we don't have to worry about an enormous ego--like with Martz--or another team's offering a head coaching position--like with Turner.

this.
  • CalgaryNiner
  • Info N/A
Great post! I couldn't agree more with how important continuity is to a football team - especially a team with so many young players at key positions.

Is it any coincidence that the teams that are in constant overhaul (Raiders, Browns, Redskins, 49ers come to mind) are in a perpetual state of losing or mediocrity at best? Having to relearn a new system every offseason does nothing except stunt the growth of a football team.

Also, for everyone calling for Alex Smith's head. Who do you think we should get that would instantly improve our team? As far as I know, there are no solid FA's available. The draft is always a complete crapshoot at QB. Having read a lot of threads on this board, you would think going out and getting a franchise QB is like picking up milk at a 7-11. Urban Meyer himself said continuity would be key to Alex's development (the infamous "non-functional" quote) - can't we at least give him 2 whole years in one system?
Originally posted by valrod33:

this.

Second that.

Agreed. Unfortunately, fans are so fickle and want change right away. This isnt Madden. You cant just pick the coach with higherst "MOT" rating and "OFF" and "DEF" ratings and hope for the best.

Again, I ask...what winning team right now has a revolving door at OC, offensive idenity, chemistry, trust, etc..?
I'm 9erfanAUS, and I support this message.

-9fA
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Agreed. Unfortunately, fans are so fickle and want change right away. This isnt Madden. You cant just pick the coach with higherst "MOT" rating and "OFF" and "DEF" ratings and hope for the best.

But...but, the 49ers ROCK whenever I play franchise mode in Madden. I can build a dynasty Bill Walsh would have given his left arm for.

How come real life CAN'T be like Madden?
Originally posted by dave1003:

this.

Second that.

WTF?

There are no standards left. We might as well be Detroit. In fact, we are Detroit West.... and the fans totally accept it.... preposterous
Originally posted by posterX:

this.

Second that.

WTF?

There are no standards left. We might as well be Detroit. In fact, we are Detroit West.... and the fans totally accept it.... preposterous

So you want a new OC every season? Yeah good call...

Yea, don't change a thing hell lets not even THINK about free agents and what the F do we really need to draft any one? Hell man well on our way to yet another losing season, and completely eliminated from the play-offs, perfect just were I like to be, now I will have my weekends back, no more Niner games to watch, till september! This is great! now I know for sure I can go skiing Superbowl sunday, cause the Niners aren't in it! We are marginally better the the Raiders, and still at this point could finnish behind them! right on! This team is perfect I just wish we could keep it together forever!

Raye is a bright young coach with and in time will develop into a top tier coordinator! Singletary is a Grand Master and has an amazing grasp of the X's and O's, and what a wizard at making adjustments at the half... and don't get me going on his clack management.. pure genius! Gregg Forester has our O-line playing at such a high level I am amazed that we don't score on every play! and that Jerry Sulivan, I don't think I saw one dropped pass or miss run route all season! Yea man if we could just bottle this stuff up and sell we would be rich! I mean just freeze these guys and thaw them out every fall so they last longer!

Don't get me started on our GM does that mean Grand Master? hell it should Scotty is the man! I mean Walt Harris goes down, Nate Clemens goes down no problem baby we got Dre Bly! hell why would we want Reggie Mackenzie, I mean that guy was just sitting at home watching games until a few weeks ago! Crap why would we look at Kyle DeVan when we have Snyder and Rachil, Since Mcnolan drafted Smith it has been nothing but good times, so lets let Scotty handle this draft as well, oh hey didn't Scotty make the awesome move to get Norris, and never even talked to that bum Lenard Weaver! Yea I love every thing just the way it is!
Change is good, but no so much in the modern NFL... so i like the idea of keeping continuity here, just for the sake of Alex developing a repoire w/ the skill guys and Raye, but i gotta tell ya-- it's been really hard not to question the play-calling.
Just when you think they are getting creative and there is balance, you see running up the middle on 2nd and 15... I think the Monday nighter was probably the only game that didn't have me sayin'... "WTF" on every offensive position.
Continuity-- yes!
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by posterX:

this.

Second that.

WTF?

So you want a new OC every season? Yeah good call...

Yeah, nice post.

Have some standards.... oh, and mediocrity should not be a standard.

Seriously.
Originally posted by SFVNiner:
Change is good, but no so much in the modern NFL... so i like the idea of keeping continuity here, just for the sake of Alex developing a repoire w/ the skill guys and Raye, but i gotta tell ya-- it's been really hard not to question the play-calling.
Just when you think they are getting creative and there is balance, you see running up the middle on 2nd and 15... I think the Monday nighter was probably the only game that didn't have me sayin'... "WTF" on every offensive position.
Continuity-- yes!

Alex needs to develop some report with the dude at the unemployment office...
Originally posted by Niners99:
why is everyone freaking out because we didnt go into Philly and win? we had that game pegged as a loss from the first day the schedule came out.

the LAST thing this team needs is change. 02-03 offseason, 03-04 offseason, 04-05 offseason, 05-06 offseason, 06-07 offseason, 07-08 offseason, 08-09 offseason, 7 straight years weve changed a coach, an OC, a DC, a GM, etc.

every year this franchise panics and changes it up due to a poor season. all this has done for us is put us in continual rebuilding mode with all new systems to learn. were always stuck in the same rut every year.

heres a thought. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING this offseason. see what you can build on from this year. all the people on this board that pretend to be 49er fans clamoring for a change at coach, a change at OC, a change of ownership, a change of GM, etc, have no idea what theyre talking about.

were in year one of the singletary era. if we break it apart before it hardly gets started, we will end up the same 5-7 win team year after year. this team has shown vast improvement since sing took over last year. the wins havent really came yet, which matters most, but the quality of play, attitude, direction, and fundamentals have taken a drastic improvement. have some patience for crying out loud.

we dont need a new QB, we need to keep the same leader on offense for more than a few games. give our offense a chance to trust and grow with someone. to know who their leader is, and how to gel and get the timing right. throwing nate davis out there is the DUMBEST thing you could do. confuse the other guys about who "the guy" is.

players need continuity, which is where this franchise has failed time and time again for years now. sit down, shut up, and develop the common sense to realize things cant happen overnight.

We need change because of that one line in bold above... no game should ever be "pegged" as a loss, that is BS loser talk, I don't except it at all ever!
Share 49ersWebzone