LISTEN: 49ers Drafted For Now And The Future →

There are 111 users in the forums

No More Change!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Niners99:
why is everyone freaking out because we didnt go into Philly and win? we had that game pegged as a loss from the first day the schedule came out.

the LAST thing this team needs is change. 02-03 offseason, 03-04 offseason, 04-05 offseason, 05-06 offseason, 06-07 offseason, 07-08 offseason, 08-09 offseason, 7 straight years weve changed a coach, an OC, a DC, a GM, etc.

every year this franchise panics and changes it up due to a poor season. all this has done for us is put us in continual rebuilding mode with all new systems to learn. were always stuck in the same rut every year.

heres a thought. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING this offseason. see what you can build on from this year. all the people on this board that pretend to be 49er fans clamoring for a change at coach, a change at OC, a change of ownership, a change of GM, etc, have no idea what theyre talking about.

were in year one of the singletary era. if we break it apart before it hardly gets started, we will end up the same 5-7 win team year after year. this team has shown vast improvement since sing took over last year. the wins havent really came yet, which matters most, but the quality of play, attitude, direction, and fundamentals have taken a drastic improvement. have some patience for crying out loud.

we dont need a new QB, we need to keep the same leader on offense for more than a few games. give our offense a chance to trust and grow with someone. to know who their leader is, and how to gel and get the timing right. throwing nate davis out there is the DUMBEST thing you could do. confuse the other guys about who "the guy" is.

players need continuity, which is where this franchise has failed time and time again for years now. sit down, shut up, and develop the common sense to realize things cant happen overnight.

We need change because of that one line in bold above... no game should ever be "pegged" as a loss, that is BS loser talk, I don't except it at all ever!

THANK YOU!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Not the loss to Philly but the losses to TEN and SEA. I don't know the last time a team could go 5-1 in the division and not make the playoffs. Seriously.

Hopefully we go 5-1 or better in the division next year and THIS is the last time a team does it and not make the playoffs

The title of this thread is like the anti obama lol.

well im anti-obama, so thats fine.

everyone commenting so far acts like theres just some magical stud QB waiting to take over. every time Alex Smith gets time to dig in and start figuring things out, you want to pull his feet out from under him. give him ALL of next year. if hes still stinking it up, then you make a change.

but overall hes been solid this year. he had a bad game, as did the whole team. a few weeks hes been the only guy keeping us in it. too much of the blame is being laid on Smith. everyone always has to find a scapegoat.

i just wanted to let you guys know, if youre calling for a new QB already, youre making a fool of yourself. if everyone dumped a player without sticking with him a little while, half the superstars in the NFL wouldnt be playing anymore. the chargers gave up on Drew Brees.

I don't think that the Chargers gave up on Drew, they knew that he was good, but also had a good and younger QB in Rivers. Alex does not come close to Drew's performance as a Charger. Moroever, this give Alex more time to gel flies in the face of logic when you consider that he has had the most time to gel than any other QB on the roster. He shared time during pre-season and took all of the reps as the starter for 3/4ths of the season and still makes poor decisions.

If ownership is requiring Sing to stay with Alex as his starter, Sing should quit as he is being held accountable for a decision that he can't decide. No legitimate coach would agree to those terms.
[ Edited by ttime1 on Dec 21, 2009 at 3:39 PM ]
Originally posted by posterX:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by dave1003:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:

Raye does not suck. Jim Hostler sucked.

Now, Raye may be mediocre, but I'd rather have mediocre and maintain some continuity than get a "mastermind" and start from scratch. Plus, with Raye, we don't have to worry about an enormous ego--like with Martz--or another team's offering a head coaching position--like with Turner.

this.

Second that.

WTF?

There are no standards left. We might as well be Detroit. In fact, we are Detroit West.... and the fans totally accept it.... preposterous

So you want a new OC every season? Yeah good call...

Yeah, nice post.

Have some standards.... oh, and mediocrity should not be a standard.

Seriously.

Ok, you're a troll, nevermind.

Now, Raye may be mediocre, but I'd rather have mediocre and maintain some continuity than get a "mastermind" and start from scratch. Plus, with Raye, we don't have to worry about an enormous ego--like with Martz--or another team's offering a head coaching position--like with Turner.

this.

Second that.

WTF?

There are no standards left. We might as well be Detroit. In fact, we are Detroit West.... and the fans totally accept it.... preposterous

Yeah, nice post.

Seriously.

Whatever, I just higher standards than you do.

With fans like you, who needs enemies?

this.

Second that.

WTF?

Yeah, nice post.

Seriously.

Whatever, I just higher standards than you do.

With fans like you, who needs enemies?

With trolls like you, who needs fans with any intelligence???
Lol, wow this is funny. Keeep em coming!
Yea, don't change a thing hell lets not even THINK about free agents and what the F do we really need to draft any one? Hell man well on our way to yet another losing season, and completely eliminated from the play-offs, perfect just were I like to be, now I will have my weekends back, no more Niner games to watch, till september! This is great! now I know for sure I can go skiing Superbowl sunday, cause the Niners aren't in it! We are marginally better the the Raiders, and still at this point could finnish behind them! right on! This team is perfect I just wish we could keep it together forever!

Raye is a bright young coach with and in time will develop into a top tier coordinator! Singletary is a Grand Master and has an amazing grasp of the X's and O's, and what a wizard at making adjustments at the half... and don't get me going on his clack management.. pure genius! Gregg Forester has our O-line playing at such a high level I am amazed that we don't score on every play! and that Jerry Sulivan, I don't think I saw one dropped pass or miss run route all season! Yea man if we could just bottle this stuff up and sell we would be rich! I mean just freeze these guys and thaw them out every fall so they last longer!

Don't get me started on our GM does that mean Grand Master? hell it should Scotty is the man! I mean Walt Harris goes down, Nate Clemens goes down no problem baby we got Dre Bly! hell why would we want Reggie Mackenzie, I mean that guy was just sitting at home watching games until a few weeks ago! Crap why would we look at Kyle DeVan when we have Snyder and Rachil, Since Mcnolan drafted Smith it has been nothing but good times, so lets let Scotty handle this draft as well, oh hey didn't Scotty make the awesome move to get Norris, and never even talked to that bum Lenard Weaver! Yea I love every thing just the way it is!

Damn Trolls in a cat fight are dominating this thread!

Bump
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
why is everyone freaking out because we didnt go into Philly and win? we had that game pegged as a loss from the first day the schedule came out.

the LAST thing this team needs is change. 02-03 offseason, 03-04 offseason, 04-05 offseason, 05-06 offseason, 06-07 offseason, 07-08 offseason, 08-09 offseason, 7 straight years weve changed a coach, an OC, a DC, a GM, etc.

every year this franchise panics and changes it up due to a poor season. all this has done for us is put us in continual rebuilding mode with all new systems to learn. were always stuck in the same rut every year.

heres a thought. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING this offseason. see what you can build on from this year. all the people on this board that pretend to be 49er fans clamoring for a change at coach, a change at OC, a change of ownership, a change of GM, etc, have no idea what theyre talking about.

were in year one of the singletary era. if we break it apart before it hardly gets started, we will end up the same 5-7 win team year after year. this team has shown vast improvement since sing took over last year. the wins havent really came yet, which matters most, but the quality of play, attitude, direction, and fundamentals have taken a drastic improvement. have some patience for crying out loud.

we dont need a new QB, we need to keep the same leader on offense for more than a few games. give our offense a chance to trust and grow with someone. to know who their leader is, and how to gel and get the timing right. throwing nate davis out there is the DUMBEST thing you could do. confuse the other guys about who "the guy" is.

players need continuity, which is where this franchise has failed time and time again for years now. sit down, shut up, and develop the common sense to realize things cant happen overnight.

Great post and totally agree. I remember back in the early 90s...didnt the 49ers start of rough a couple years or one of the years when Young took over?? Even when he started to win, he would just choke during big games. Obviously our offenses arent the same and Smith is no Young BUT the bigger point is: we didnt change everything after a loss or disappointing season. We built around our core players, kept continuity, let Young DEVELOP into a leader, and let players rally around him and bam...SB champs.

Im not trying to make comparisons obviously but its just an example to show that continuity and letting your players grow and trust someone like you said is vital. This isnt Madden or your fantasy league. Cant just change sht up and expect wins overnight. The pieces are there...now its time to utilize them properly.

Well, I think we also went out and bought a defense with Ken Norton, Ricky Jackson and Deion Sanders, and then it was bam...SB champs.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/12/tear-it-down-no-continuity-is-the-answer.html

Looks like Maiocco agrees.

Thank god. A voice of reason among all this "JUST FYRE EVEREEEONE DOOD! AEND STAHRT DAYVIZ!"

Quote:
A lot of people want to see changes. They want to see heads roll when a club fails to meet their own expectations. But I think the best thing the 49ers can do is maintain continuity. And that includes quarterback
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/12/tear-it-down-no-continuity-is-the-answer.html

Thank god. A voice of reason among all this "JUST FYRE EVEREEEONE DOOD! AEND STAHRT DAYVIZ!"

Quote:
A lot of people want to see changes. They want to see heads roll when a club fails to meet their own expectations. But I think the best thing the 49ers can do is maintain continuity. And that includes quarterback

Who gives a rip about MM and his kiss ass poly anna BS!

Bill Walsh NEVER would have put up with this crap, hell man he would cut somebody just to send a message to the team!

Quote:

Bill Walsh NEVER would have put up with this crap, hell man he would cut somebody just to send a message to the team!

Sooooo you're saying Bill Walsh would have changed OCs every year, changed QBs every year, kept the o-line the way it is, have gimmicky QB competitions EVERY year so QBs and receivers never develop trust and timing?

Sorry, I dont believe that. Change every now and then to keep things fresh is one thing. There is such a thing is too much shuffling around though.
I think anyone who views this as a Change vs No Change argument is missing a key fact. It is about Good Selection vs. Bad Selection

Let me try to help break it down and clear up any confusion.

The 49ers are not a horrible team because they have had 4 HC's this decade. That fact is not what makes them bad. No. They are bad because they chose some dude named Erickson, followed by another dude named Nolan, followed by another dude named Singletary to be their HC's. CHANGE did not kill the Niners...SELECTION did.

All the OC's are not the Reason the Niners failed. What do you think of guys named Hostler and Raye. Now McCarthy, Turner and Martz were pretty good selections.

Change at QB did not KILL the 49ers. Ever heard of Tim Rattay? How about Ken Dorsey? Trent Dilfer? JT OSullivan? Shaun Hill

What some of you have to remember. When people suggest change...they are implying they are suggesting it because they hope a good selection will be made....not another terrible one.

Quote:

Sooooo you're saying Bill Walsh would have changed OCs every year, changed QBs every year, kept the o-line the way it is, have gimmicky QB competitions EVERY year so QBs and receivers never develop trust and timing?

Sorry, I dont believe that. Change every now and then to keep things fresh is one thing. There is such a thing is too much shuffling around though.

We had a much better scouting department back in the day, Bill could cut a player or fire a coach and replace them in a pinch.

The changes we need are simple,

1 Hire an assistant HC to teach Sing his job, Sing could motivate a BB through a brick wall but could not coach his way out of a bathroom stall!

2 Hire New O-line coach

3 Hire new WR coach

4 Promote QB coach to assistant OC

5 add an army of young collage coaches as assistants and quality control guys, these young guys are where you get continuity over the years, if you are a good team you have lots of coaching change because your assistants are being hired as HC's.

As for my last point look at all the change in New England, who many coaches have the lost in the last 6 years? probably more than the Niners, there coaches are all over the NFL and college ranks!
I like what Niners99 has to say. I agree with him. For this next year, we need continuity between the OC, QB and WR for the first time in about seven years.

We need to solidify our OL with an infusion of talent, some of it FA experience. We probably could use a better OL coach.

But Alex and his TE/WRs need to grow, mature and get their responsibilities and timing down pat. Too often I noticed indecison on the part of the receivers, which led to indecision on Alex's part. Alex will become more instinctive and confident when he feels he can count on his receivers being where they are supposed to and that they will hang on to the balls. Alex's numbers would have been so much better (fewer interceptions, more completions, more 1st downs, more TDs, fewer penalties) if the receivers had done their job. And we wold have won more games too.

Contrary to most, I think we will have something very solid in Alex if McC makes the right moves this offseason (not holding my breath). I hope Sing demands it of McC.

Quote:

We had a much better scouting department back in the day, Bill could cut a player or fire a coach and replace them in a pinch.

The changes we need are simple,

1 Hire an assistant HC to teach Sing his job, Sing could motivate a BB through a brick wall but could not coach his way out of a bathroom stall!

2 Hire New O-line coach

3 Hire new WR coach

4 Promote QB coach to assistant OC

5 add an army of young collage coaches as assistants and quality control guys, these young guys are where you get continuity over the years, if you are a good team you have lots of coaching change because your assistants are being hired as HC's.

As for my last point look at all the change in New England, who many coaches have the lost in the last 6 years? probably more than the Niners, there coaches are all over the NFL and college ranks!

This I wouldnt mind as its not really "change" more than it is "enhancements."

Share 49ersWebzone