There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MNF/Jaws and Young break down Smith.. my opinion and expertese..

Brett Favre struggled against AZ last week on Prime Time, are we going to start questioning FAVRE?? Warner was off last night aswell, probably more than Smith!! are we going to start questioning Warner??

Point is, we arent going to question Favre nor Warner, they are both proven!!! SB champs, consistent, and hall of famers!!..

Alex Smith.. Smith was off the first drive, he started off 2-7 i believe. He was inconsitent for most of the night, BUT came through when it COUNTED.. Smith, on probably his worse game of the season, behind the TEN game.. still managed 2td and out shined Warner.. Smith has been the first 9er QB since JEFF GARCIA to post 4 straight 2td games, thats saying something, and Smith hasnt quite peaked yet, although he has defintely gotten better..

Breaking down smith..
1. ARM STRENGTH- His arm is NOT elite, but i would say ABOVE average. He can get it down field with some time and put in on a receiver with time
2. ACCURACY- This is where Smith has been INCONSISTENT, but there is promise there THIS YEAR, and hopefully going foward. Right now, I would say his accuracy is AVERAGE at best, BUT improving..
3. LEADERSHIP- Smith has shown DRASTIC improvent in this dept. He lacked it his first 4 years, but CMON.. Different OC, you get HURT, your HC throws you uner the BUS!! Pretty hard to over come, but Smith is getting there..

If Rex can take his team to a super bowl, I believe Smith can.. If Brad Johnson can WIN a superbowl, I believe Smith can. IF DILFER can win a superbowl, I believe Smith can..

Lets put the pieces together this next season.. focus on oline, PR/KR down field threat (REGGIEE ) and maybe a playmaker in the seondary and pass rusher via draft or FA.. we will turn the corner, FAST!
wow good post
the most impressive thing was his two third down conversions on the niner's second to last drive...

the drive started with 7:39 seconds left on the clock with the niners up
first down - run for 3 yards
second down - run for -3 yards
third down - PASS to V.DAVIS for 16 yards...FIRST DOWN!

first down - run for 4 yards
second down - run for 2 yards
third down - PASS to CRABTREE for 6 yard...FIRST DOWN!

first down - run for 3 yards
second down - run for 2 yards
third down - false start for -5 yards
fourth down - PASS for 7 yards. (this was a shovel pass, basically play call didn't give smith a chance to try and get the first down...terrible call IMHO, just as risky as a pass and no real chance to get the first down)

PUNT - arizona takes over with 2:41 left.....

so because of smith we had a five minute drive in the fourth quarter that pretty much helped seal the game away for us. This was after smith had thrown an interception and an almost interception earlier in the second half. that takes confidence to come back like that! I was more impressed by those two third down conversions than at any other time with smith.
thanks!! people please post in response to the title.. I want EVERYONES take if they think Smith is the guy, Smith fan or Smith critic.. Tired of the 300yd posts, the Smith sucks posts or Smiths god posts!! just keep a consistent thread that everyone can have an opinion and take on..

[ Edited by 49ersnum1 on Dec 15, 2009 at 23:43:23 ]
  • Luca
  • Veteran
I think Smith should be our quarterback for the near future with Raye as OC, to have continuity for onces and see if Alex can deliver.
Arm Strength: Better than anticipated when he was drafted. He's shown flashes of being able to zip it into tight coverage with great velocity and stretch the field deep with the long ball. Definitely not an elite arm but can make most if not all of the NFL throws necessary. His deep out definitely needs work though.

Accuracy: Not nearly as impressive as I thought it would be when he was drafted. He has a propensity to overshoot his target and throw it too high. Needs to be more consistently accurate.

Mobility: A major reason he was selected first was b/c of his athleticism, but I feel he rarely ever utilizes it. He has shown in the past that he is pretty quick and strong as a runner. He needs to tuck it down and run sometimes. There have been numerous times where the D has been in man and there's a ton of space in front of him if he just takes off but he has tried to force it into tight coverage. He has shown decent mobile accuracy though, and has extended a few plays like the TD pass to Gore a couple weeks ago.

Reading Coverage: For the most part it seems he's made major strides in recognizing Ds and making the right decisions. Sometimes his pass just isn't quite on the mark or the WR and Smith don't quite have the timing down.

Little Things: Looks to be feeling the pressure better and not leaving the pocket too soon. Years ago it would seem he'd scramble right after making his first read. Footwork during dropback and overall passing mechanics seem better than during his previous starting stint. Still needs work dropping back and reading the D, and hopefully that will come with practice. Still locks in on a target too often and telegraphs where he's going to pass. Does not look off the safeties particularly well.

He has the physical tools necessary to be successful and the weapons around him that he never had before. He's done enough this season to warrant going through this offseason preparing as the starter. Has he done enough to warrant a contract extension and be proclaimed the QB of the future...not yet. I say let him go through next season as the starter and see how Nate Davis develops and go from there.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
He still needs to work on taking snaps from under center and making reads there. Hes been solid in gun formation, but our running game becomes predictable the more times we're in the gun.
Everything we did on MNF was a complete fluke lol
Originally posted by King49er:
Everything we did on MNF was a complete fluke lol

serious?
  • brandonjg
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Brett Favre struggled against AZ last week on Prime Time, are we going to start questioning FAVRE?? Warner was off last night aswell, probably more than Smith!! are we going to start questioning Warner??

Point is, we arent going to question Favre nor Warner, they are both proven!!! SB champs, consistent, and hall of famers!!..

Alex Smith.. Smith was off the first drive, he started off 2-7 i believe. He was inconsitent for most of the night, BUT came through when it COUNTED.. Smith, on probably his worse game of the season, behind the TEN game.. still managed 2td and out shined Warner.. Smith has been the first 9er QB since JEFF GARCIA to post 4 straight 2td games, thats saying something, and Smith hasnt quite peaked yet, although he has defintely gotten better..

Breaking down smith..
1. ARM STRENGTH- His arm is NOT elite, but i would say ABOVE average. He can get it down field with some time and put in on a receiver with time
2. ACCURACY- This is where Smith has been INCONSISTENT, but there is promise there THIS YEAR, and hopefully going foward. Right now, I would say his accuracy is AVERAGE at best, BUT improving..
3. LEADERSHIP- Smith has shown DRASTIC improvent in this dept. He lacked it his first 4 years, but CMON.. Different OC, you get HURT, your HC throws you uner the BUS!! Pretty hard to over come, but Smith is getting there..

If Rex can take his team to a super bowl, I believe Smith can.. If Brad Johnson can WIN a superbowl, I believe Smith can. IF DILFER can win a superbowl, I believe Smith can..

Lets put the pieces together this next season.. focus on oline, PR/KR down field threat (REGGIEE ) and maybe a playmaker in the seondary and pass rusher via draft or FA.. we will turn the corner, FAST!

expert analysis indeed.

Why aren't you writing for ESPN?
Nice Job I could have said it any better.

I think Smith has shown flashes that he can be really good, but he occasionally makes bad throws or picks. But he's only 25, and let's see what he can do with a full offseason with the Same Offensive Coordinator.

Also the Niners finally have some Weapons....

Crabtree is very good, it kills me to think what he could have done with a full season.
VD has stepped it way up.....Pro Bowl Talent, but I still want to see him not drop so many balls.
Delanie Walker has shown some flashes.....we still need a way to get him the ball more often.

Morgan, Hill and Jones need to step up their game and not be hurt in the Preseason.

Frank Gore is a dominating back he needs to get his touches.

With this cast for one more year, and possibly another speedy Slot Receiver / or speedy Running Back in the draft. We got the pieces.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:

I think Smith has shown flashes that he can be really good, but he occasionally makes bad throws or picks. But he's only 25, and let's see what he can do with a full offseason with the Same Offensive Coordinator.

Crabtree is very good, it kills me to think what he could have done with a full season.
VD has stepped it way up.....Pro Bowl Talent, but I still want to see him not drop so many balls.
Delanie Walker has shown some flashes.....we still need a way to get him the ball more often.

Morgan, Hill and Jones need to step up their game and not be hurt in the Preseason.

With this cast for one more year, and possibly another speedy Slot Receiver / or speedy Running Back in the draft. We got the pieces.

If Reggie Bush is available next season, he would fix that speedy receiver/RB that you are thinking of.. add the fact that he will solidify our return game and make us THAT much better!! I know No will NOT keep him for the money he is due.. They will either cut him, or they will TRY and re-do his deal.. The niners need to do whatever they can do to bring this guy in
Well I don't know if Smith is THE guy. But it would have been nice to see him Start and playing in this Offense that we put on the field on Monday Nite.

I feel like we got short changed when they just named the Starter before the competition had run its course. BUT... that said, I think that Smith did what a Leader does. Just sit back biding his time and waiting for his opportunity. Once he got it he has not looked back.

Has he thrown some picks? Yeah. But half of them should have been Catches by the intended Receivers.

Has he thrown some that ALMOST were picked? Yeah he has, but EVERY Starting QB does that. You can't find one that doesn't ALMOST throw a Pick.

What has really impressed me about Smith this season is that he seems to be having fun. Even when under excessive pressure. He has that LOOK about him like "mmm hmmm, okay I got somethin fer ya.". Just look at the pic when he fist bumps Duke after the TD right in front of Adrian Wilson. Duke is laughin his @$$ off and Alex gives him that look like he just Owned the man. That was almost Joe like imho.

I really hope that Raye and Sing can continue to Run Gore from the Spread for the remainder of this season. And then show I and audible the Backs to Spread when the Defense THINKS they're gonna stack that many Defenders in the box. This is the Offense that I said we should be running once we went to the Spread. And this is the Offense that is balanced.

The IForm is a solid front when you have the Line to run it with. We don't and haven't had it since... Crap since never. Either we ran a smaller quicker unit built to block downfield or we ran a Line that was SUPPOSED to be able to clear out the 1st level but always lost a key component or had one just take himself out(Yes I'm talkin bout that Puss Jennings) of games and then sit out the remainder of the season collecting his checks. We just don't have the Line for it. They block too high even on the Run. It just looks good cause Frank is a patient Runner.

But when they line up in a Spread or Shotgun they can hold the Point of Attack long enough to give Alex some time to throw the ball or give it to Frank in a Delay or Counter.

Yes I know this is about Smith. But imho, it was never really about him to begin with. I bout puked when I had to sit and listen to Jaws and Gruden basically eat humble pie about the kid. But they still could NOT outright say they were probably wrong. Just alot of about everything related to Smith's career and how he was mishandled. Like any fan of the game couldn't see that $4|t 3 years ago.

I may not have their "expertise" but I know the game.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:

If Reggie Bush is available next season, he would fix that speedy receiver/RB that you are thinking of.. add the fact that he will solidify our return game and make us THAT much better!! I know No will NOT keep him for the money he is due.. They will either cut him, or they will TRY and re-do his deal.. The niners need to do whatever they can do to bring this guy in

Frank can do EVERYTHING that Bush can do. That long Run he had MN? Had he bounced to the outside instead of going back in, he would have had NOTHING to stop him. Instead he bounced back inside and that little bit of hesitation got him caught.

Bush is going to want BIG money. If having that change of pace Back was our only issue, then hell yeah throw gobs of the stuff at him if ya have to get him here. But what we need and have ALWAYS needed was consistency at the LoS by our OL.

I honestly think that Staley needs to move back to RT and leave Sims at LT. Then we need to find a solid OGs'. If we do that then I think that the Line just may be solid. Monday not withstanding we cannot count on the entire unit. But there have been some bright spots. Sims being one of them.

Get us a PR/KR worth a damn(thanks Scott) and let's run the Offense that we are running now. Power Run was a crappy idea. But at least Sing and Raye were led to Water soon enough to drink it and not die of thirst.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Well I don't know if Smith is THE guy. But it would have been nice to see him Start and playing in this Offense that we put on the field on Monday Nite.

I feel like we got short changed when they just named the Starter before the competition had run its course. BUT... that said, I think that Smith did what a Leader does. Just sit back biding his time and waiting for his opportunity. Once he got it he has not looked back.

Has he thrown some picks? Yeah. But half of them should have been Catches by the intended Receivers.

Has he thrown some that ALMOST were picked? Yeah he has, but EVERY Starting QB does that. You can't find one that doesn't ALMOST throw a Pick.

What has really impressed me about Smith this season is that he seems to be having fun. Even when under excessive pressure. He has that LOOK about him like "mmm hmmm, okay I got somethin fer ya.". Just look at the pic when he fist bumps Duke after the TD right in front of Adrian Wilson. Duke is laughin his @$$ off and Alex gives him that look like he just Owned the man. That was almost Joe like imho.

I really hope that Raye and Sing can continue to Run Gore from the Spread for the remainder of this season. And then show I and audible the Backs to Spread when the Defense THINKS they're gonna stack that many Defenders in the box. This is the Offense that I said we should be running once we went to the Spread. And this is the Offense that is balanced.

The IForm is a solid front when you have the Line to run it with. We don't and haven't had it since... Crap since never. Either we ran a smaller quicker unit built to block downfield or we ran a Line that was SUPPOSED to be able to clear out the 1st level but always lost a key component or had one just take himself out(Yes I'm talkin bout that Puss Jennings) of games and then sit out the remainder of the season collecting his checks. We just don't have the Line for it. They block too high even on the Run. It just looks good cause Frank is a patient Runner.

But when they line up in a Spread or Shotgun they can hold the Point of Attack long enough to give Alex some time to throw the ball or give it to Frank in a Delay or Counter.

Yes I know this is about Smith. But imho, it was never really about him to begin with. I bout puked when I had to sit and listen to Jaws and Gruden basically eat humble pie about the kid. But they still could NOT outright say they were probably wrong. Just alot of about everything related to Smith's career and how he was mishandled. Like any fan of the game couldn't see that $4|t 3 years ago.

I may not have their "expertise" but I know the game.

~Ceadder
I agree with your post, but I will say the reason the run worked against the cards is we ran off tackle a lot.. vs. running straight up the gut.