LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

MNF/Jaws and Young break down Smith.. my opinion and expertese..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Nice Job I could have said it any better.

I think Smith has shown flashes that he can be really good, but he occasionally makes bad throws or picks. But he's only 25, and let's see what he can do with a full offseason with the Same Offensive Coordinator.

Also the Niners finally have some Weapons....

Crabtree is very good, it kills me to think what he could have done with a full season.
VD has stepped it way up.....Pro Bowl Talent, but I still want to see him not drop so many balls.
Delanie Walker has shown some flashes.....we still need a way to get him the ball more often.

Morgan, Hill and Jones need to step up their game and not be hurt in the Preseason.

Frank Gore is a dominating back he needs to get his touches.

With this cast for one more year, and possibly another speedy Slot Receiver / or speedy Running Back in the draft. We got the pieces.

If Reggie Bush is available next season, he would fix that speedy receiver/RB that you are thinking of.. add the fact that he will solidify our return game and make us THAT much better!! I know No will NOT keep him for the money he is due.. They will either cut him, or they will TRY and re-do his deal.. The niners need to do whatever they can do to bring this guy in

I think frank is still our number one but it would be nice to have a change of pace back.....alex smith and Reggie bush were high school teammates.....he would solidify that pr/kr spot though
Smith said it himself that his arm isn't exactly 100% and During the monday night game I remember them mentioning that. I think they said something along the lines of why he wouldn't be able to throw a hail mary at the end of the first half.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
He still needs to work on taking snaps from under center and making reads there. Hes been solid in gun formation, but our running game becomes predictable the more times we're in the gun.

The problem there is that the oline is best served in shotgun because they are still not pass blocking well. Shotgun allows Smith to throw it sooner which means the oline doesn't need to hold their blocks like they normally would.
Smith is makeing time now.

Something he could not do before.

Out of the shotgun he is beating the blitz with his arm.

His new found protection has.more to do with his production then the oline.

He is more responsible for how teams defend him then teams trying to exploit the line.

It's why I laugh when people say insert HOF qb in this offense and he would suck too..... defenses don't dare HOF qbs to beat.them with easy man on man defenses that those overload blitzs create

I think Smith has shown flashes that he can be really good, but he occasionally makes bad throws or picks. But he's only 25, and let's see what he can do with a full offseason with the Same Offensive Coordinator.

Crabtree is very good, it kills me to think what he could have done with a full season.
VD has stepped it way up.....Pro Bowl Talent, but I still want to see him not drop so many balls.
Delanie Walker has shown some flashes.....we still need a way to get him the ball more often.

Morgan, Hill and Jones need to step up their game and not be hurt in the Preseason.

With this cast for one more year, and possibly another speedy Slot Receiver / or speedy Running Back in the draft. We got the pieces.

If Reggie Bush is available next season, he would fix that speedy receiver/RB that you are thinking of.. add the fact that he will solidify our return game and make us THAT much better!! I know No will NOT keep him for the money he is due.. They will either cut him, or they will TRY and re-do his deal.. The niners need to do whatever they can do to bring this guy in

We had Kory Sheets and let him go. I feel that he could have been a Reggie Bush kind of back for us.

this thread deserves a slow clap! Next year will be the first I actually expect a playoff appearance and nothing less from this team.
For me "the juries still out". The offense is still rather prone to sputtering. I'm looking for performance from team closer to well oiled machine. Get the ball and sustain a drive to score a high % of time. Not exactly sure what problems are. smith? yet to develope chemistry with receivers? offensive line? spread vs use of Gore? None of these can be pinpointed cuz we're so inconsistent. I hope these questions can be sorted out prior to draft, but I doubt it. I think I'm going to trust 49er braintrust on draft day and hope they get it right. If they don't will be mired in mediocrity for another 10 years.
I want to start by saying that I like Smith. I Dont trust him though. The whole game, i was expecting him to throw a pic 6 and give away the game...

What hit me last night was this.

You ever notice how when they talk about franchise quarterbacks they always say "this is someone you build a franchise around, build a team around"

with Brady, Manning, Even Montana, Carson Palmer, Brett Farve.....they aren't exactly inheriting superbowl teams when they became the starter, but because they are great leaders and great players they made everyone around them better!

It seems with Alex we are always making excuses. I"m sorry, but anyone should be able to succeed with the best of the best talent out there. Right now, our recieving corps is way better than anything Tom brady ever had with out randy moss.

The quarterback is the ceiling of the team, you're only as good as your quarterback...Aaron Rodgers gets sacked a ton more than smith does, and still he's one of the top 5 qb's in the league.

Again, I like smith but I don't think he'll take us where we want to go.
i AGREE with most OF what YOU say but the JURY will be out on SMITH until at least THE end of the SEASON. COMPARING him TO Favre and WARNER does not do us a lot of GOOD. ALSO saying that he HAS 2 TD passes when we get to TURNOVERS INSIDE their 20 is NOT A powerful STAT.
Originally posted by Luca:
I think Smith should be our quarterback for the near future with Raye as OC, to have continuity for onces and see if Alex can deliver.

Agree with this.

alex smith at best has been average! and at worse has been the WORSE i've ever seen as a starter!

i want alex smith to succeed! but deep down inside... he's just another brad WHO johnson and another trent WHO dilfer? alex smith will one day be remembered as a alex WHO smith!

Do you think Scot can hear the chants? REGGIE REGGIE REGGIE!!! I hope so. BUT I hope we don't over pay him. I think that he would be a great piece to the puzzel. The lighting to Gore's Thunder! Man I get excited just typing that!
I love how people on these boards think they know what a players potential will end up as. How do you know Smith won't continue to improve? How do you know he will? Every bit of this is pure speculation and not worth much. The important thing is that he has improved and there is every reason to believe that this trend will continue now that we have competent QB coaching and a little stability. Is Smith going to lead us to a Superbowl...who the f**k really knows? Anyone that tries to claim they have the answer to that question is completely full of s**t as well as a colossal jackass. I am not so arrogant to think that I know the answer to this question, I only try to be optimistic about my team.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I love how people on these boards think they know what a players potential will end up as. How do you know Smith won't continue to improve? How do you know he will? Every bit of this is pure speculation and not worth much. The important thing is that he has improved and there is every reason to believe that this trend will continue now that we have competent QB coaching and a little stability. Is Smith going to lead us to a Superbowl...who the f**k really knows? Anyone that tries to claim they have the answer to that question is completely full of s**t as well as a colossal jackass. I am not so arrogant to think that I know the answer to this question, I only try to be optimistic about my team.

When I started reading your post I was thankful for a bit of reality and common sense, then you go and do the same thing that you're complaining about. "The important thing is that he has improved and there is every reason to believe that this trend will continue now that we have competent QB coaching and a little stability." That statement is pure BS for the same reason you called others out for.
If there is every reason to believe Smith will improve please list some. I'm not sure how you can evaluate the QB coaching. Is the little stability the belief that Raye will be the OC next year?

Until I see Smith throw something other than a tight rope, I can't believe he will ever be more than average. I would love to see Smith shine. He is certainly good enough now to fill the role until the 9ers can develop the next QB (Davis?).
  • rum53
  • Veteran
The biggest thing Smith has going for him this offseason is the fact that we will have the same OC in place for consecutive years. Instead of learning a new offense and building a relationship with a new OC, Smith will actually be able to build a rapport with his receivers.

I think we will see the biggest improvement of his career for Smith next season. He's going to be working all offseason on improving timing and chemistry with Crabtree, VD, Walker, Morgan, and company. He'll also be working on improving his technique, such as throwing from under center and accuracy issues.

So much of an effective passing is timing. A QB will be able to put the ball where the receiver wants if he knows exactly where the receiver will be. Similarly, a receiver will have an easier time catching the ball if the know exactly when to expect the ball to be there. The key is repetition in practice, which will ultimately result in better accuracy from Smith and fewer dropped passes from his receivers.

[ Edited by rum53 on Dec 16, 2009 at 13:48:06 ]
Share 49ersWebzone