LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 287 users in the forums

Not Winning a Superbowl in Your Lifetime...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I just have to ask you guys complaining this...Did you really expect to make the playoffs, much less win a game in the playoffs this year? If you answered yes, then you had some unrealistic expectations from a team with some many new coaches and missing key players.
born in 87. dont remember the 94 sb and even caring about football at the time. now i feel i would never see this team reach the sb let alone the playoffs. i wanna be young when its time the 9ers win the sb.
I had season tickets for 4 of their 5 SB years and partied after every one. Those were incredible years. I really believe the Niners should have won 7 SB's at least but its nice to say that no football team has enjoyed a 20 year run like the 49ers had from 1981-2001.

Now.. the SF Giants.. thats another story. Damn I wish they would win ONE fricking title in my lifetime.
  • ZRF80
I didnt expect to make the playoffs. However, Im sick of our fanbase accepting losing as the norm. I live in NY, so Ive seen the local media/fanbase react when the local teams start to stink it up. I can tell you it's the opposite of what fans in the Bay Area are doing.

We havent sniffed the SB in 15 years. We havent made the playoffs in 8. And everyone is talking about being patient. If you said that here in NY under the same circumstances, you'd be tarred and feathered.
dude we are NO WHERE near as dry as other teams. at least we have had a playoff appearnce in this decade. at least we didn't go 0-16. at least we have some direction. at least we didn't lose our team to baltimore only to see them win the superbowl soon after.

my point is that for the 20 years of winning and excellence we had this 7 year drought while it sucks ass is nothing.

we could be SOOOOOOOOO much worse off. and hopefully we will never have to experience such a thing.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
The franchise went in the toilet when the Yorks took over, they have now handed the day to day running of the organization to a 27 year old. That tells me this team could have a long drought till the sixth ring. I have zero confidence in this organization, look what they have produced in 9 years.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
How would that feel ?

You know, every year.........when things turn for the worse and our season is shot, we go into the offseason with the mentality that next year is our year. What we fail to acknowledge, however, is that every damn team and its fanbase is thinking the same thing. So I did a little research and....

In the NFL, we are tied 3rd for the longest drought since our last playoff appearance (along with Cleveland and Oakland); only Buffalo and Detroit have had a dryer spell than us.

We're tied 11th worst for longest Superbowl appearance drought.

We're 9th worst for last Conference Championship game appearance.

We're tied 7th worst for last Division crown.

Oh, in other sports.......

The Chicago Cubs have not won a Championship since 1908; worse, they havent been to a World Series since 1945.

The Chicago Blackhawks havent won the Stanley Cup since 1961.

In a city where fans arent too expectant on team success, and management has no sense of urgency to get the organization back on top, is it possible that we could go an entire lifetime without a SB ? I mean, who knew in 1994......15 YEARS AGO ! that we would go almost 2 decades without a ring. Even if we become a contender, we still have to beat.........well.......other contenders. We're so immersed with making the playoffs that we've forgotten that we actually have to beat teams there. I mean.......we made the playoffs ever year from 1981-1998 (except 1), and we only won the ring 5 times. There's no guarantee that a playoff berth equals an automatic SB victory.

We have a young team. An improving team, no doubt. But unless Niner brass gets a fire lit under their ass, we're going nowhere fast. Teams like the Colts and Pats put together championship units relatively fast. They drafted their franchise player (QB), and built a team around that player. Both playing in Conference Championship games within 5 years of their star QB taking center, and both making the playoffs within 3 years. Teams like the Eagles, Chargers, and Giants took similar paths.

And here we are, 5 years after drafting our QB, still waiting for "next year", because that will be the year "we make the playoffs". And then what ? We'll be content just because we made an appearance there.

Just something to think about folks...............

Maybe you should just switch teams ?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by danimal:
Fortunately for me when I was a young fan and did not know much about handicapping the NFL...it did not matter because the Niners were awesome. Each season I could just rely on hope and it panned out many times.

Unfortunately right around the time the Franchise crumbled is when I started to actually apply all that I had learned from observing the league for so many years. I started to bet and make general predictions. I was pretty good and get better each season. Not that the NFL seasons never surprise me, but generally outcomes happen as I thought they would.

That being said, I no longer just hope for the Niners. I have expectations based on prejudgement.

I have never once expected the Niners to win the Super Bowl since 98. I have never once expected the Niners to make the playoffs since 02.

I gotta tell you guys, it is not that hard to watch this drought if you start the season with realistic expectations.

I can't even imagine watching the Niners in the "lets just see" fashion anymore

I think maybe thats the key to actually swallow the results we're seeing year in and year out. I try not to have high expectations, but it feels like Ive wasted 8 months in the offseason looking forward to the regular season, only for what.......another losing record. Watching from the glory years, it's hard not to have high expectations. This is a team that strung together 3 successful QBs in a span of 2 decades, which is unheard of in professional sports. We went from the epitomy of all franchises to one of the worst. It sucks that once upon a team, we were talked about with the likes of the Cowboys, Packers, and Steelers, storied franchises with historical significance, even if they had losing seasons. Now, we're compared to the likes of the Bucs, Jaguars, and Texans........teams that have no where near the historical impact that we do.

I just hope to see another ring during my lifetime, but as a fan......I wouldnt be surprised if I didnt, especially since our fanbase has no problem with mediocrity.

It's so sad to see bad/mediocre teams held in such high regard. The pathetic play of this team would not have been tolerated back in the Walsh days and I can't see how it is now.

I have an idea, why don't you guys try holding your breath until things are done the way you want them to be? Maybe lie down on the floor at team HQ and kick and stomp and throw a tantrum, maybe that will help.

Teams are not built overnight, nor by changing management/coaching every season that isn't a playoff year. No one likes not going to the playoffs every year, or struggling to finish just a little better than the year before. Most of us just realize that great things do not just happen overnight, and we are faithful to our team and have the patience to deal with rebuilding. What is sad is fans that constantly focus on the negative to the point where they refuse to acknowledge that there are positive things going on. We have finally found out what we have in Alex Smith, we might finally have the same OC two years in a row, we have fewer holes on the roster than any time in the past 5-6 years, we have a young core of talent that is slowly building chemistry. Yes it hurts all of us when we see our team lose games we think they should win, but then again what do we as fans really know? My guess is alot less than some that post here think they do...

It sure seems you are. No offense, but you've been making the same posts at the end of each year ever since I joined the forum. I dont know how you define "patience", but not making the playoffs in 8 years (3rd worst in the league) and not sniffing the Sb since 94 kind of dries out my patience.

Im assuming you were very young when we won our last SB; thats the only thing that would explain your yearly optimism and ability to wait 20 years for a SB.

Nope I wasn't very young when we won our first (My info is posted in my profile), I am just patient and know that we are lucky to be where we are now considering the wasted years with Nolan. Winning championships is very nice, but it is not solely what I base my love for my team on either. I do not think we are 20 years from another championship, but even if we are, I will not give up on my team. Some call themselves faithful...some live it.

Blind optimism is not the same as "faithful". As like I said, you've been making similar posts in years past, even when NOLAN was our head coach. Now you refer to his time as "wasted" years.

Where do you get the blind optimism from? I am not complaining because I know that we aren't ready for prime time, how is that blind optimism? I think you guys that are so bitter were more of the blind optimists that thought this team was farther along than it really is. Blind optimists are the ones that were proclaiming playoffs for sure this year. Just because I am patient and realize that there is work to be done doesn't mean I am blind. You are a pessimist, that is clear from your mainly negative posts, which is your prerogative. I am by nature, cautiously optimistic, that doesn't make me blind. We don't agree on much, but we both want the same thing, to win. I just realize that is takes some time to build a team, when some want it overnight...it just doesn't work that way.
I didnt expect to make the playoffs. However, Im sick of our fanbase accepting losing as the norm. I live in NY, so Ive seen the local media/fanbase react when the local teams start to stink it up. I can tell you it's the opposite of what fans in the Bay Area are doing.

We havent sniffed the SB in 15 years. We havent made the playoffs in 8. And everyone is talking about being patient. If you said that here in NY under the same circumstances, you'd be tarred and feathered.

That explains a lot man, people in NY generally have their patience tried much more often than people in other parts of the country.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

That explains a lot man, people in NY generally have their patience tried much more often than people in other parts of the country.

The only thing we fans can do is not go the the games (I dont go) and not buy the 49ers stuff (which I dont). Other then that there is nothing a fan can do.

I was alive and well for all the superbowls but was way to young for 81 and 84. I really started getting into the game and the 49ers in 88 and 89(which is the best team to ever take the field in the NFL hands down!).

Anyways, I wanted to say it has been a while since we've been to the big game but we're on our way as a franchise to at least be in position to make a run. I feel sorry for all the young guys that just don't get it and haven't seen a SB team develop over time. It takes a while.
Originally posted by susweel:

The only thing we fans can do is not go the the games (I dont go) and not buy the 49ers stuff (which I dont). Other then that there is nothing a fan can do.

You are right, that is all we can do. Some of the posters here have an inflated sense of self importance.
I have 5 to remember on my deathbed then.

I could give a flyin fart in a spacesuit on Mars about another one at that time. Or about droughts or any of that stuff to make fans feel bad.

It would be NICE if we get more but I just want the team to take one step at a time and that starts with a winning season. Haven't had one in 7 years soon to be 8.

After that it's all gravy.

~Ceadder
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:

You are right, that is all we can do. Some of the posters here have an inflated sense of self importance.

I do watch games on TV. I love this team and I have been die hard fan since I was a little kid. However I look at it differently these days. Of course I want them to win but now days Im happy if Im entertained for 3 hours.

When I was younger I used to get all worked up after a loss. I will admit yesterdays loss did piss me off, but I let go after about an hour. Life goes on, its just football.
i lived through 3 superbowls but i only REALLY enjoyed the 1994 superbowl because i was born in 87 and didnt know what the hell was going on during the first two. i am confident that we will win a superbowl within the next four or five years. we were blessed to have a run like we did in the last two decades. some teams still havent even been to the superbowl and and others have only lost when theyve been lucky enough to go. we will be there very soon. with a proper offensive line and a legit safety we could be very good next year. but the front office needs to get it together and decide to spend some money on the O-line, and singletary and McCoughlin have to make the right decisions on who to bring in. with a solid young nucleus in place (A. Smith, VD, Morgan, Crabtree, Jason Hill, Delanie Walker and Frank Gore) we will be good for a long time once we fix the O-line. give it some patience. rome wasnt built in a day and either was the 49ers dynasty. from reading into the history and listening to what my dad says since he lived through most of the 49ers history, there were horrible teams before that magical 81 season. we'll be back, and sooner than you think
Share 49ersWebzone