There are 186 users in the forums

smith @ end of game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
We lost the game because of a lot of reasons. It was a collection of reasons. You can't say it was JUST because of this or we WOULD have won if not for that. Gore did fumble but he is also huge in pass protection. He had an off day catching but no one can run behind this line. Go ahead and find me a better blocking RB in the NFL. Some of you guys are like Quakers hunting witches. Just shut up already.

Im not mad at gore. everyone played a great game. were just need some more talent. wait i take that back did roman suit up cause then i have someone to hate on. Gore shouldn't be blocking that's the olines job we have 2 first round pick we improve the oline for the health of alex smith, and for gore to have a hole big enough to fit a truck through and i'll be happy won't hear anything negative unless mark roman is still on the team next season!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
No doubt in my mind Alex Smith is our man for the future. -He's been throwing really gorgeous passes, and with the horrible field position Alex had to work with he didn't panic once/throw anything that entire game which could have led to an interception.

Our season is shot and there are no positives, but just imagine Alex Smith getting an ENTIRE training camp to himself with that offense under 'spread-formation' focus, and hopefully some first round linemen surrounding the pocket... something good could possibly be on the horizon finally.

No doubt in my mind Kurt Warner is finished after this season, and possibly Hassleback. -The 49ers might be the only team in the NFC West in 2010 with a consistent head start at the QB position. 2010 is going to be a huge transition for many teams across the league, and we have a lot in our favor right now than people may think in terms of off-season decision-making.

Our season IS shot but there are a TON of positives. Sometimes mistakes and miscues pay off dividends down the road. This year this team has found a lot of different ways to lose. We've had a ton of bad luck and some growing pains switching to a new style of play.

Smith said that he didn't feel the need to gun it on that last drive with 51 left. He said he wishes he could have made better throws at the end. Hindsight is 20 20 and I don't think he or any of us thought the Hawks would move into field goal range at the end of the game with 21 seconds left.

Shoot I think the Refs would have given the Seahawks a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGE spot if they didn't get down there within 10 seconds.

That guy SO pushed off it wasn't funny. I was hoppin mad at that point cause I saw it an was like no way they let something that BLATANT go. Yeah right they don't.

~Ceadder

Ref's were horrible. The Brandon jones play he hardly touched the guy. Then you go back and make a horrible call because the cb caught crab tree's arm with his elbow and was playing the ball.

lol almost threw something at my computer, because i thought they blew the holding call on manny i was screaming he released manny released manny released.

also the shot on alex should have been called for roughing the passer there going to get him killed out there if it was brady you see a flag.

Yeah, normally I don't pay too much attention to the officiating but this game is the worst I think I've ever seen. Maybe Hass paid them a dollar?

I wonder where they went for dinner. Did they get the dollar menu at mcdonalds. Or did they go to jack in the box for the new 1 dollar chicken. I'll give the sea hawks some love, they sure do get screwed by ref's a lot. like that Superbowl a few years ago. I didn't want to see them win that game, but not loss it because the ref's not letting the guys play.

So this offseason this is the man that needs to be draft and i think he could play lt in the nfl but i think he'll fit in great as are future probowl rt!
OSU ALL AMERICAN

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Dec 7, 2009 at 01:57:22 ]
Totally disagree. Smith had TWO game-winning drives yesterday:

The first one could have been a 98-yarder if it wasn't for Gore's Fumble. Smith was on fire that drive.

The other was VD's non-touchdown -- you could see the look on Alex's face when VD dropped the game-winner.
Originally posted by ninersush:
let me first say this is not to bash/luv on anyone. i would just like to see if anyone's thoughts are similar to mine or why not.

smith played a great game today for the most part. the drops/fumbles/coaching (3 TOs in Q1 amongst other things) killed us.

yet in the end we had the ball tied with about 50 secs to go. everyone was expecting smith would drive us down for a game winning score (FG or TD).

this is when a good qb becomes great. this is when leaders/winners are made. this is when u need ur qb to win the game.

however, alex had his 2 worst plays at that point. very disappointing.

and at this point you forget all the mistakes that have happened to this point. all the other stuff. all that matters is scoring. somehow. someway. and it didn't happen.

so i'm left to think that alex is good but not great. i don't if it is something that he can learn....that is being clutch in critical moments or is it something you just have.

but i personally came away very disappointed in how alex played on the 2 most crucial downs and have lost some faith in him.

so can he learn to finish or is it curtains for smith? lets keep this a respectable discussion folks.

Is this a joke or something???????? I think you have serious A.S. hater syndrome....you are so blind to reality it's quite disturbing.
Originally posted by ninersush:
let me first say this is not to bash/luv on anyone. i would just like to see if anyone's thoughts are similar to mine or why not.

smith played a great game today for the most part. the drops/fumbles/coaching (3 TOs in Q1 amongst other things) killed us.

yet in the end we had the ball tied with about 50 secs to go. everyone was expecting smith would drive us down for a game winning score (FG or TD).

this is when a good qb becomes great. this is when leaders/winners are made. this is when u need ur qb to win the game.

however, alex had his 2 worst plays at that point. very disappointing.

and at this point you forget all the mistakes that have happened to this point. all the other stuff. all that matters is scoring. somehow. someway. and it didn't happen.

so i'm left to think that alex is good but not great. i don't if it is something that he can learn....that is being clutch in critical moments or is it something you just have.

but i personally came away very disappointed in how alex played on the 2 most crucial downs and have lost some faith in him.

so can he learn to finish or is it curtains for smith? lets keep this a respectable discussion folks.

i think u are way of here pal alex had a couple game winning drives but the fumble by gore and the dropped passes at the endzone( that hit them directly on the hand) prevented that alex played at a probowl level today and if you cant see that u know nothing about football
  • DaNiners
  • Info N/A
I bashed Smith for years, but the fact that someone here tried blaming Smith for two dropped balls at the end of the game is retarded. Seriously, Davis dropped 4 or 5 balls yesterday, including the game winner (WELL THROWN). Crabtree, a rook, did not even attempt to make a play on another well-thrown ball. Admittedly, he would have taken a shot, but that is the deal when the game is on the line. YOU MAKE PLAYS! Smith was fantastic yesterday and should be lauded by everyone here for his brilliant effort. Right now Smith appears to be developing very nicely. I never thought I would see it, but the tape does not lie.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Don't forget on the drive before he hit Vernon in his hands & he dropped a touchdown. Then Crabtree wasn't looking for the ball that would have been a touchdown.

receivers let him down

i agree...VD should have caught that pass for a td in the end zone. Also i noticed J.Morgan and Crab pulled up short on a few route bracing for a hit. I hope the coaches get on them for these kind of mistakes
Originally posted by danimal:
Absolutely.

This thread is not about "blame"

It is about accurately labeling your players.

Alex Smith will not be a great QB. When you need him to overcome other peoples mistakes and save the game for you......7 times out of 10 he is not going to get it done.

I don't mean to be a jerk but some of you on this board are just plain ignorant.

Let's see, if Brett Farves pass with 2 seconds to go had bounced off the receivers hands or helmet in the SF, Vikes game the Vikes would have lost. If Tom Brady wouldn't have thrown the ball on a slant 2 yards when he needed 3 yards on 4th and 3 to end the game the Colts would have lost... Lot's of what if's if you ask me. Facts are, Alex played great. The receivers simply dropped the passes. Did RICE drop passes like what these guys do? NOPE..... How many do you see bounce off R. Waynes hands, or R. Moss or any other good receiver in the NFL..... How many games do I have to watch our receivers drop balls in. I mean these guys cannot hold on to the ball. Alex won the game on more than one occasion but our damn WR's can't catch a damn football...... Alex is doing his job. He put the ball in position to win on multiple cases.
  • DaNiners
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by brhokla:
Originally posted by danimal:
Absolutely.

This thread is not about "blame"

It is about accurately labeling your players.

Alex Smith will not be a great QB. When you need him to overcome other peoples mistakes and save the game for you......7 times out of 10 he is not going to get it done.

I don't mean to be a jerk but some of you on this board are just plain ignorant.

Let's see, if Brett Farves pass with 2 seconds to go had bounced off the receivers hands or helmet in the SF, Vikes game the Vikes would have lost. If Tom Brady wouldn't have thrown the ball on a slant 2 yards when he needed 3 yards on 4th and 3 to end the game the Colts would have lost... Lot's of what if's if you ask me. Facts are, Alex played great. The receivers simply dropped the passes. Did RICE drop passes like what these guys do? NOPE..... How many do you see bounce off R. Waynes hands, or R. Moss or any other good receiver in the NFL..... How many games do I have to watch our receivers drop balls in. I mean these guys cannot hold on to the ball. Alex won the game on more than one occasion but our damn WR's can't catch a damn football...... Alex is doing his job. He put the ball in position to win on multiple cases.

Absolutely correct, and I have always bashed Smith. If you were a Smith hater and cannot see his progress, you need to find another team. Seriously, get out of here. It is one thing to criticize when you cannot see the potential (or the results), but another when the player is making strides and you are not man enough to admit you MAY have been wrong.

Hell, I admit it, he looks great right now. It would surprise me if he were to suddenly digress. GENERALLY, it does not work that way with young QB's. Once they "get it", they tend to develop pretty nicely. In fact, right now he looks like MORE than just a solid starter. Some of those throws yesterday were absolutely perfect. Now, he has four games to go and will probably have at least one more poor performance. Regardless, I am convinced he is our starter next year and we will not be drafting a QB in the first round.

• dmax
  • Veteran
its alex's fault gore fumbled,vd dropped a td, the punt reverse failed, and there was a no call on d love.

Smith put the team in multiple positions to win. He lead them twice at the end of the game for potential winning scores. He's becoming a top tier QB before out eyes.
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Bad play calling

Cant always blame the playcalling. At some point, a QB's instincts have to come into play. I know that Raye called a fluke play by having everyone run long routes, but that also cleared the immediate vicinity for Alex Smith to run. He could have easily tucked and made a made dash for the first, even stepping out of bounds after a 10 yard run. Instead, he opted to air it out to Morgan, who was triple covered. I agree with the OP; Smith had a heck of a day...and was the main reason we stayed in the game, but he still needs to learn how to improvise when needed.

This how the haters do. Giving some "credit" makes you look better when you actually are bashing Smith. Trent Dilfer would've improvise us a win, wouldn't he?
I don't think anyone is saying it's Alex's fault that we lost the game. He played lights out and there were plenty of opportunities for us to win this one.

I think the original poster is just disappointed with that last drive, and I think we all are. We had 50 seconds left with 2 TOs and all we needed was a FG. Now, granted Alex did not throw his best passes on 2nd and 3rd down. I'm sure even he would tell you that. But, it just seemed like the team went into panic mode, and that starts with the coaches. They thought we had to air it out and go crazy, and that filtered down to Alex. I mean just look at the play selection. If we had called plays for a slow methodical march down the field, the team would have been calmer and Alex wouldn't have felt like he had to air it out. The 3rd and 3 call was abismal.

Alex probably could have taken matters into his own hands and tried to run for it on 3rd down, but this guy has missed two years, and is just starting to play well. As he gets more comfortable with himself, his teammates, and the coaches, he will learn to take over these kinds of games.

It kills me that we lost yesterday, and that last drive was such a letdown. But you know what? It was a letdown because I truly beleived we were going to drive down the field and win it. It's been a long time since I've felt that way, and that makes me excited.
Originally posted by susweel:
Why the f**k would he throw bomb on 3 and 4. Just get the first down and giver yourself a chance. Instead he throws into double coverage. It should have been a pick. Noway should the seahawks gotten the ball back in fourth qtr, if anything just go to over time.

Alex had a good game, but once again he failed with the game on the line.

If he executed the play called, and is not given the option to alter the play, then would it be Alex's failure or Raye's?
This is absurd. 53 seconds left, no time outs, and backed up on your own 10 yard line and you want smith to lead another game winning drive? how many do you want in the 4th quarter? We had two chances and our so called "game changers" mangaged to screw that up. Please, blame them.
Share 49ersWebzone