LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

smith @ end of game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I thought Smith played lights out today. He missed on a few, but he threw two passes that could have won the game late, one that VD dropped, and one that Crabtree ducked.

I am encouraged by Alex Smith's play. He threw 45 passes without an interception. That says to me that he has grown tremendously over the last couple of years. I'm proud of Alex Smith.

I'm sickened by the dropped balls.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Socal49erFan4lif:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Bad play calling

Cant always blame the playcalling. At some point, a QB's instincts have to come into play. I know that Raye called a fluke play by having everyone run long routes, but that also cleared the immediate vicinity for Alex Smith to run. He could have easily tucked and made a made dash for the first, even stepping out of bounds after a 10 yard run. Instead, he opted to air it out to Morgan, who was triple covered. I agree with the OP; Smith had a heck of a day...and was the main reason we stayed in the game, but he still needs to learn how to improvise when needed.

yes and if jason hill catches the pass on 2nd down were watching the drive continue

Two separate issues. Again, Im not saying that the dropped passes didnt have anything to do with today's loss, but sometimes as a QB you have to play with the cards your dealt with. Did the receivers let Alex down ? Sure. But he did have a shot at the end, and I think he made a wrong decision. Doesnt mean we should burn him for it, but then again...there's no reason to pretend it didnt happen either.
Get the f**k out of here
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I see what youre saying but why didn't you make this thread about Davis or Crabtree? I mean honestly at what point do we hold other accountable to? Alex pretty much led us on a great 90+ yard game winning drive only to be let down by VD and Crabtree. It's a whole different level of play and mentality when you're driving with 3 min vs 48 seconds. And the play call on 3rd and 3 at the end was just plain retarded. If there was ever a time for our conservaball 3 yards and a cloud of dust that was the time.

Alex Smith and Patrick Willis were the only ones that showed up today.

. . . and if Gore does not fumble on the long drive, we win the game and Smith is the hero.

There you go. Alex leads us twice to potential victory but Frank fvcks up, then VD, then Crabs. Then we expect Smith to just win it with 50 seconds left. And why we throw deep on 3rd and 3 is beyond me. I guess the only "knock" on Alex would be he should have said fvck Raye and ran for 3 yards on that play.
it was alex fault for VD dropping the ball
Originally posted by ninersush:
let me first say this is not to bash/luv on anyone. i would just like to see if anyone's thoughts are similar to mine or why not.

smith played a great game today for the most part. the drops/fumbles/coaching (3 TOs in Q1 amongst other things) killed us.

yet in the end we had the ball tied with about 50 secs to go. everyone was expecting smith would drive us down for a game winning score (FG or TD).

this is when a good qb becomes great. this is when leaders/winners are made. this is when u need ur qb to win the game.

however, alex had his 2 worst plays at that point. very disappointing.

and at this point you forget all the mistakes that have happened to this point. all the other stuff. all that matters is scoring. somehow. someway. and it didn't happen.

so i'm left to think that alex is good but not great. i don't if it is something that he can learn....that is being clutch in critical moments or is it something you just have.

but i personally came away very disappointed in how alex played on the 2 most crucial downs and have lost some faith in him.

so can he learn to finish or is it curtains for smith? lets keep this a respectable discussion folks.

Lean to finish?? Are you fricking joking?? First Walker drops a TD in the end zone in the 1st quarter Crabtree ducks the game winner and the play before Vernon let's one bounce off his hands for the game winner

On the final drive with 50 seconds - crabtree gets mauled with no call - christ you just silly if Your claming Alex Smith isn't a leader or had anything to do with this loss - let's not even talk about that moronic Special Teams play -

1st row 50 yard line seats and I get to see my 49ers give the game away and come home to the Zone and find some Alex Hater trying desperately to find a way to blame him - I am sure Shaun Hill would have won the game and no one would have dropped the ball blah blah blah.

Horse Crap is what this theory is
This is why this team is not going anywhere. They always make killer mistakes. Dropping balls and fumbling. You can't do that and expect to win. I knew our goose was cooked when we couldn't get a first down the last time we had the ball. I have no confidence in our defense to stop anyone. This is a disgusting loss. People say heads should roll? Whose? Nothing is going to change. They keep doing the same stupid things over and over. A .500 record even seems out of reach. Another wasted season of false hopes.
When the team can't convert a 2nd & 3, then a 3rd and 3 --it's the whole team to blame. No excuse for not converting that. It sucks when the team can't run off 51 seconds on offense. Then on the flip side, defense gave up a field goal in less than 21 seconds at the 15yard line
Absolutely.

This thread is not about "blame"

It is about accurately labeling your players.

Alex Smith will not be a great QB. When you need him to overcome other peoples mistakes and save the game for you......7 times out of 10 he is not going to get it done.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Don't forget on the drive before he hit Vernon in his hands & he dropped a touchdown. Then Crabtree wasn't looking for the ball that would have been a touchdown.

receivers let him down

Originally posted by danimal:
Absolutely.

Alex Smith will not be a great QB. When you need him to overcome other peoples mistakes and save the game for you......7 times out of 10 he is not going to get it done.

So its his fault the GW TD was dropped

Oh boy
Bottom line with only 50 seconds on our own ten with the score tyied I am yelling at the tv to run the damn ball and take into ot. The coaching staff lost this game. Seattle could have only stopped the clock twice and would have recieved the punt with about ten seconds. Come on
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Absolutely.

Oh boy

Are you hard of reading?
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Absolutely.

Oh boy

Are you hard of reading?

My apologizes I read quickly
dudes i'm not bashing alex. i'm simply saying that if you have a chance to win at the end of the game and you have the ball to drive the qb needs to take the game in hand and win.

so let's play this out...had alex made better decisions/throws on 2nd or 3rd & 3 and the wr/te dropped/fumbled then i would say that alex did everything he could.

but what happened is that alex made 2 of his worst throws of the day when it counted most.

i'm just asking that given this, is the ability to close something alex can learn or is it something that can not be learnt.

for those of us who had the benefit of watching montana/young we know that most of the time if we had the ball & chance to win the game they would have done so. they had that "it". can alex learn that or is it something you are just born with?

and i know that alex was big time today. we would not have been in the game without him. this is not trying to find a way to bash him or support hill. i just wanna know if the part of his game that is lacking can be fixed?

[ Edited by ninersush on Dec 6, 2009 at 19:16:32 ]
Share 49ersWebzone