LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

Coordinator Thread...and rest of staff

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I did hear a rumor somewhere while he was interviewing with different teams that he would like to hire Bill Callahan as his Offensive Coordinator. Callahan is currently with the NY Jets. But we'll see?

I'd like to try to get Larry Kirksey as WR coach from the Houston Texans, but I don't think we can?

This is what I've come up with so far...

OC: Bill Callahan
RB coach: Tom Rathman
WR coach: Larry Kirksey
TE coach: Pete Hoerner
Offensive Assistant/Offensive Line: Greg Roman
DL coach: Jim Tomsula
Asst. DB coach: Derek Mason
DC: Vic Fangio
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
I did hear a rumor somewhere while he was interviewing with different teams that he would like to hire Bill Callahan as his Offensive Coordinator. Callahan is currently with the NY Jets. But we'll see?

I'd like to try to get Larry Kirksey as WR coach from the Houston Texans, but I don't think we can?

This is what I've come up with so far...

OC: Bill Callahan
RB coach: Tom Rathman
WR coach: Larry Kirksey
TE coach: Pete Hoerner
Offensive Assistant/Offensive Line: Greg Roman
DL coach: Jim Tomsula
Asst. DB coach: Derek Mason
DC: Vic Fangio

His offensive coordinator will probably be either Bill Callahan, Marc Trestman, David Shaw or Jim Zorn.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
It will be interesting to see who he brings in. But I have never been so excited for a hiring. For Nolan & Singletary, I generally shown support but this...man.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Just throwing this out there...Childress for OC? He's a WCO guy.

I don't love the idea, though. He strikes me as a weasel...

He is going to call guys he has a relationship with that he knows want to come coach with him, he isnt going to bring in a bunch of big names like Lovie Smith did with Mike Martz, Mike Tice, Rod Marinelli. So look at what Raiders coaches from 2002–2003 are up to like Bill Callahan (not sure the Jets would let him go) or Marc Trestman. Maybe someone like Al Saunders from the Ravens, though he is a "Air" Coryell guy...Jim Zorn could be a better fit from the Ravens.
???

harbaugh will hire his recent OC, wont he?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Just throwing this out there...Childress for OC? He's a WCO guy.

I don't love the idea, though. He strikes me as a weasel...

He is going to call guys he has a relationship with that he knows want to come coach with him, he isnt going to bring in a bunch of big names like Lovie Smith did with Mike Martz, Mike Tice, Rod Marinelli. So look at what Raiders coaches from 2002–2003 are up to like Bill Callahan (not sure the Jets would let him go) or Marc Trestman. Maybe someone like Al Saunders from the Ravens, though he is a "Air" Coryell guy...Jim Zorn could be a better fit from the Ravens.
???

harbaugh will hire his recent OC, wont he?

He is in the running for the Stanford job, so he might not be an option.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Quote:
bydavidwhite David White

Hard to see Harbaugh canning DL coach Jim Tomsula. He could dial up outgoing Broncos DC Don Martindale as LB coach (worked w/Jack and Jim H)
OC/O-line Coach- Bill Callahan
DC- Vic Fangio
QB- Mike Johnson or Matt Cavanaugh
RB- Tom Rathman
WR- Pep Hamilton or Larry Kirksey
TE/Assistant O-Line- Greg Roman
D-Line- Jim Tomsula
LB- Frank Bush
DB- Ron Meeks
Assistant DB- Greg Mason
Special Teams- Anyone but Kurt Schotenheimmer
It seems almost certain that Harbaugh will bring along Vic Fangio as DC. The Stanfoprd OC will likely be promoted to their HC, so he will be in the market for a new OC.

I suspect he will keep Tomsula, Rathman (hopefully), and possible Solari and Brown. I expect Johnson to be gone, unless Harbaugh thinks he would be good returning to the role of QB coach.

I believe most of the rest of the current coaching staff will be replaced.

[ Edited by longtime49erfan on Jan 7, 2011 at 20:19:11 ]
Can Jason Tarver survive yet another new 49ers regime. This would be the 5th different 49ers HC he would be on staff with if Harbaugh keeps him around.
I only hope Trestman has grown greatly over the last time he was coordinator with the 49ers. Once Shanahan left, that's when the 9er offense went the crapper. Not saying Morninwheg / Mariucci was horrible, it's just that was when the offense was its most prolific

Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
David Shaw - OC (Harbaugh's brain)
Vic Fangio - DC (current DC at Stanford)
Tom Cable - OL coach (power running game done right)
Tom Rathman - RB (keep Woody!)

I think this is a very likely scenario. Though I don't know if I'm sold on Fangio....dude presided over some pretty terrible defenses last time he coached in the pros (02-05 Texans).

He was also coaching an expansion team.

Quote:
Prior to joining the Ravens, Fangio spent four seasons as the defensive coordinator of the Houston Texans (2002-05). His 2002 defense ranked eighth in the AFC and fourth in the conference in pass defense. The Texans scored three defensive touchdowns against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field in Week 14 en route to a 24-6 victory.

In 2004, the Texans set a team record with 22 interceptions, which ranked fifth in the NFL, and returned five picks for touchdowns. Houston did not allow a touchdown for 13 straight quarters from Week 13 to 16, which was the longest stretch by any team in the league that season.

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/fangio_vic00.html

Texans rankings under Fangio:

2002: 20th in points allowed.
2003: 31st in points allowed.
2004: 15th in points allowed.
2005: 32nd in points allowed.

Source: ESPN

He did not have much talent on those defenses. He did real well as Panthers DC from 95-98. So-so as the Colts DC 99-2001. The guy is a good coach though, Dom Capers and Jim Mora kept him around as much as possible and John Harbaugh raved about him to his brother Jim, that is why he brought him to Stanford as DC. Watching Stanford play, there offense was good and well coached but so was there defense this year with no real elite talented prospects.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lssanjose:
I only hope Trestman has grown greatly over the last time he was coordinator with the 49ers. Once Shanahan left, that's when the 9er offense went the crapper. Not saying Morninwheg / Mariucci was horrible, it's just that was when the offense was its most prolific

He had a top 10 offense both years here. His downfall was Loville and Kirby as RB.

1995: Scored 457 points (28.6/g), 1st of 30 in the NFL.

1996: Scored 398 points (24.9/g), 3rd of 30 in the NFL.

[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 7, 2011 at 20:30:09 ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9ERFANINAZ:
Vic Fangio

Coaching Career
1979-81 Dunmore H.S. Linebackers/Defensive Coordinator
1982 Milford Academy Defensive Coordinator
1983 North Carolina Graduate Assistant
1984-85 Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars Defensive Assistant
1986-94 New Orleans Saint Linebackers
1995-98 Carolina Panthers Defensive Coordinator
1999-01 Indianapolis Colts Defensive Coordinator
2002-05 Houston Texans Defensive Coordinator
2006-08 Baltimore Ravens Special Assistant to Head Coach
2009 Baltimore Raves Special Assistant to Head Coach/Linebackers
2010 Stanford Assistant Coach - Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
2011 San Francisco 49ers Assistant Coach - Defensive Coordinator

RIP Frank Defazio

duplicate, sorry

[ Edited by lssanjose on Jan 7, 2011 at 20:38:05 ]
Another coach I like as QB's or OC...Darrell Bevell. Fimiliar with the WCO working in Minnesota and Green Bay.
Share 49ersWebzone