There are 245 users in the forums

Coordinator Thread...and rest of staff

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by maximill15:
did stanford run a 4-3?

Nahh, 3-4..But Fangio has run a 4-3 before as well..
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
David Shaw - OC (Harbaugh's brain)
Vic Fangio - DC (current DC at Stanford)
Tom Cable - OL coach (power running game done right)
Tom Rathman - RB (keep Woody!)

I'd add Hoerner, and if Manusky would demote down to LB coach I'd keep him too. Bring in a former Niner to coach up the WR's..(Rice).
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by baltien:

I think this is a very likely scenario. Though I don't know if I'm sold on Fangio....dude presided over some pretty terrible defenses last time he coached in the pros (02-05 Texans).

He was also coaching an expansion team.

Quote:
Prior to joining the Ravens, Fangio spent four seasons as the defensive coordinator of the Houston Texans (2002-05). His 2002 defense ranked eighth in the AFC and fourth in the conference in pass defense. The Texans scored three defensive touchdowns against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field in Week 14 en route to a 24-6 victory.

In 2004, the Texans set a team record with 22 interceptions, which ranked fifth in the NFL, and returned five picks for touchdowns. Houston did not allow a touchdown for 13 straight quarters from Week 13 to 16, which was the longest stretch by any team in the league that season.

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/fangio_vic00.html

Texans rankings under Fangio:

2002: 20th in points allowed.
2003: 31st in points allowed.
2004: 15th in points allowed.
2005: 32nd in points allowed.

Source: ESPN
i think we are gonna keep solari and ray brown
also rathman
mabye tomsula
and everyone else will be gone and mostly likely supplanted by his guys. exceptm for o corrdinator because shaw is probably gonna get the job at stanford. I have no clue who they would pick
I just saw on the ESPN NFL home page that Harbaugh was calling potential coordinators just before agreeing to take the job. No word on who he contacted.

So I guess it's all but certain that Shaw won't be coming with him.

I think this is a very likely scenario. Though I don't know if I'm sold on Fangio....dude presided over some pretty terrible defenses last time he coached in the pros (02-05 Texans).

Quote:
Prior to joining the Ravens, Fangio spent four seasons as the defensive coordinator of the Houston Texans (2002-05). His 2002 defense ranked eighth in the AFC and fourth in the conference in pass defense. The Texans scored three defensive touchdowns against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field in Week 14 en route to a 24-6 victory.

In 2004, the Texans set a team record with 22 interceptions, which ranked fifth in the NFL, and returned five picks for touchdowns. Houston did not allow a touchdown for 13 straight quarters from Week 13 to 16, which was the longest stretch by any team in the league that season.

Keep in mind Texans were an expansion team in 2002. We have WAY more talent on defense than they did in 2002-2005
Originally posted by Joecool:
Jcool you think Harbaugh is going to bring his entire staff with him? outside of his HC replacement, unless stanford hires someone outside?

You talk'n to me or the other jcool?

I don't think he brings his entire staff because Stanford needs a successor and with Luck coming back, they will probably promote in house which means Walsh may not travel with him.

Now, if they promote within, then that person may want to retain some of their current staff.

Harbaugh is no fool. He will put together a staff that works best for the NFL, not college. I think it wouldn't be a good idea on his part to bring an entire college staff (even though they have NFL experience) with him.

Success in college does not = success in the NFL. Not all of these guys had success in the NFL at their relative positions.

Jcool not Joecool

I was asking both of ya

Good, as long as it's not Steve Young.

This...

• KID9R
  • Veteran
OC Bill Callahan
DC Rob Ryan or Eric Manginni
JasonLaCanfora
Some execs I've talked to figure defensive coordinator Vic Fangio will join Harbaugh with the 49ers in the same role

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kidash:

This...

David Shaw or Greg Roman will be the next Stanford head coach.
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:

Quote:

Keep in mind Texans were an expansion team in 2002. We have WAY more talent on defense than they did in 2002-2005

Still... after 4 years, the Texans were worst in the league in defense. Not a good sign if he becomes the DC.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Jan 7, 2011 at 14:47:25 ]
Originally posted by KID9R:
OC Bill Callahan
DC Rob Ryan or Eric Manginni

Boner with a gush !!!!
La canfora just tweeter rumor that Vic fangio will be our dc.
Originally posted by Ajanke:
La canfora just tweeter rumor that Vic fangio will be our dc.

He just said some execs think that he will be the DC. That isn't much inside info.

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
Some execs I've talked to figure defensive coordinator Vic Fangio will join Harbaugh with the 49ers in the same role
Share 49ersWebzone