There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kawakami: 2 out of 4 have to go. The question: which 2

Get rid of ScotMc and Raye for sure. I believe that will happen anyways.

Draft two QBs in next yr's draft. One in the earlier rds, and one in the later.

Alex is a puzzle and pain at the same time. The 49ers owe him money, so that will play into any decision the ownership makes.
The best case scenario is that he somehow plays really well this season (AND in the first half as well) and then let the chips fall where they may.
My guess is that at the end of the day (season), that number will be zero.
Kawasaki is exactly right, all this team needs to get better is MORE turnover. Consistency is over rated.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
People say it takes 2 full years to fully establish a new scheme/OC.

[color=red]That's only true when the OC/scheme is at least somewhat complex. It's pretty clear that doesn't apply to Raye or his sorry offensive schemes. [/color]
my prediction skills average are
6 at pick'hem 2008 i was
predicted cashtree would hold for the entire season i did
so here are my 2 cents :
Jed will keep SMc he drafted/traded enough talented guys to make me think he has somethin' (although during the nowin years he had not the last word so still hard to figure)
Jed will keep Sing for another year then after 2010 it's playoffs or gone
Sing will keep Raye for another year
Raye aka "Mr eigth option for OC" as much as he svks will be around yep i bet it and it's my worst nightmare
Young York would have to tell Sing that he is firing his OC and is hiring a new one with a completely different philosophy, 180 from Sing's, and to not interfere.

That doesn't seem realistic.

No, if things keep going like they are, York will have to man-up and do the deed quickly and decisively. Going off in the wrong direction for one year is bad, two years is more than twice as bad. He can't waffle on this.
Originally posted by sincalniner:
Kawasaki is exactly right, all this team needs to get better is MORE turnover. Consistency is over rated.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
This offseason will be a big challenge for Singletary, and he may have to go. Why? Coaches have a specific philosophy, and it is very difficult to change their way of thinking. If Singletary wants to be a coach who features a running back, and running attack, in order to win games, and is unable to change, then it is probably better to part company.

Do we really want a run-oriented team? It is not the winning formula in the NFL right now. Teams that can strike quickly, and put pressure on other teams down the field are the ones that are posting "W's" on Sunday.

Our offense is beginning to take shape as a dynamic, playmaking unit, one that can push the ball down the field and score some points. We are still one speedburner WR away (and some blocking help up front) from making this offense one of the most potentially dangerous units in the NFL. The Smith-Davis-Crabtree trio looks solid, and Gore adds a lot out of the backfield. We just need an OC who can put all the pieces together with a creative system that maximizes the talent on the roster.

To go back to grind-it-out football seems silly to me at this point.

Heck, the Steelers have become pass-happy.

The FREAKING STEELERS!

Now, the team that practically invented the pass-happy era wants to grind it out. If that makes sense to anyone then congratulations. You're way smarter than me.
Obviously Raye has to go. He is incompetent. Sing should get another year. He deserves at least two full seasons to try and succeed. If we get an upgrade over McCloughan, that would be great. Holmgren as the president or GM would be nice. As far as Smith goes, who is going to be the QB? Davis isn't going to be ready and I sure as hell don't want to start a rookie. So, I guess he will be back.
This offseason will be a big challenge for Singletary, and he may have to go. Why? Coaches have a specific philosophy, and it is very difficult to change their way of thinking. If Singletary wants to be a coach who features a running back, and running attack, in order to win games, and is unable to change, then it is probably better to part company.

Do we really want a run-oriented team? It is not the winning formula in the NFL right now. Teams that can strike quickly, and put pressure on other teams down the field are the ones that are posting "W's" on Sunday.

Our offense is beginning to take shape as a dynamic, playmaking unit, one that can push the ball down the field and score some points. We are still one speedburner WR away (and some blocking help up front) from making this offense one of the most potentially dangerous units in the NFL. The Smith-Davis-Crabtree trio looks solid, and Gore adds a lot out of the backfield. We just need an OC who can put all the pieces together with a creative system that maximizes the talent on the roster.

I agree MD but.......and this is a big but......will Jed pull the trigger and let Sing/Raye go after only one season? I wonder...

I'm having my doubts about McC too. I think this team still lacks talent in many areas and may be 6-7 good players away from being a true playoff team. Scotty's inability to put together even a halfway decent OL (not to mention a pass rush) after all this time is simply unacceptable.....and embarrassing.

MD....realistically, what do you think Jed does in the offseason?.....and what would you do if you were Jed?
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

Heck, the Steelers have become pass-happy.

The FREAKING STEELERS!

Now, the team that practically invented the pass-happy era wants to grind it out. If that makes sense to anyone then congratulations. You're way smarter than me.

It only makes sense to the HC and OC.

Singletary (on right): So, what do you do bring to the table If I hire you?
Raye (on left): Running the ball 50 times a game and being physical.
Singletary: This is the 49ers though. We invented passing. Do you think that's OK? I do. I love running the ball, even if we have offensive weapons.
Raye: Yeah. I'm not sure what happened in the '80s and '90s. I slept through that era. I'm sure it'll be OK to completely change the team's philosophy for the last century though.
Singletary: Yeah, but I know nothing about offense. Do you?
Raye: Not really, but we have a young team. That's a good excuse for another 2 to 3 years.
Singletary: True.
Raye: Yeah (looks at menu). Here's a good idea for a play. Bang bang chicken. It's a 4 TE 2 RB set. Everyone dances around like a chicken to confuse the defense, while Gore sneaks out and runs a go route. I think it'll work. What do you think?
Singletary: That sounds like a great idea, as long as you still want to run the ball up the gut 50 times a game.
Raye: Oh yeah, I do (shakes Singletary's hand).
I think we have to keep all 4. I know public enemy #1 right now is Raye and I have been frustrated with his game plans too, but we have to give this coaching staff and Smith 2 full years to see if they can be more than what they are now.

People say it takes 2 full years to fully establish a new scheme/OC. And Alex will have gotten 2 years under the same OC for the first time in his career. Singletary is still a rookie HC. And Scot, well, he is tied to 2 out of the 3 guys.

If year 2 is a bust, then I say it will be clear that we need to clean house.

I agree. Alex will never develop if he continues the musical chair HC/OC year in and year out.
Originally posted by Sugatis:
I think we have to keep all 4. I know public enemy #1 right now is Raye and I have been frustrated with his game plans too, but we have to give this coaching staff and Smith 2 full years to see if they can be more than what they are now.

People say it takes 2 full years to fully establish a new scheme/OC. And Alex will have gotten 2 years under the same OC for the first time in his career. Singletary is still a rookie HC. And Scot, well, he is tied to 2 out of the 3 guys.

The definition of crazy is doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result - it doesn't matter of this scheme is fully implemented you can not compete in this day's NFL basically trying to go - run run pass - If John Elway couldn't make it work with Dan Reeves then it is not going to work here.

I want to give Alex the best shot at resurrecting his career. What he has gone through especially with 4 OCs in 4 years is ridiculous. Who knows, if you give Alex the same offense two years in a row, he might just flourish. Though I would want Alex to have more say in the game plan and play calling because he seems to do better than Raye does.

I just really don't see his cleaning house or half the house because this is still Singletary first full year as the HC and they usually give a HC more than one year.

Why????? I don't understand this statement. Alex is like 1-8 in the last 9 starts. I have nothing personally against Alex, but, with results like he has had, I don't care to "give Alex any more shots".
Originally posted by jeepzilla:

The definition of crazy is doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result - it doesn't matter of this scheme is fully implemented you can not compete in this day's NFL basically trying to go - run run pass - If John Elway couldn't make it work with Dan Reeves then it is not going to work here.

I want to give Alex the best shot at resurrecting his career. What he has gone through especially with 4 OCs in 4 years is ridiculous. Who knows, if you give Alex the same offense two years in a row, he might just flourish. Though I would want Alex to have more say in the game plan and play calling because he seems to do better than Raye does.

I just really don't see his cleaning house or half the house because this is still Singletary first full year as the HC and they usually give a HC more than one year.

Why????? I don't understand this statement. Alex is like 1-8 in the last 9 starts. I have nothing personally against Alex, but, with results like he has had, I don't care to "give Alex any more shots".

so when he scores 3 TD's in a game and still loses the loss is on Smith? Smith isn't the only player on the team, the loses fall on everyone not just one player.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by jeepzilla:

so when he scores 3 TD's in a game and still loses the loss is on Smith? Smith isn't the only player on the team, the loses fall on everyone not just one player.

That and the 49ers through Nolan is partially responsible for F-ing up Smith's career by giving him 4 OCs in 4 years and the whole debacle with the shoulder and "QB competition". In the realm of what to do and what not to do, that is so far beyond what not to do it is ridiculous.