LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 337 users in the forums

Consensus: 2/3 of Smith's Picks were not his Fault

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Hey bubba, do you have any idea exactly how many pump fakes you used last Sun.? Yup, same # you used in game before that, game before that, and so on, right on thru to your first game with 49ers. Know how many pump fakes Eli, Peyton, Brady and Rothlisberger used on Sun? How about most any pass that wasn't a quick slant or out...say maybe 10, 15, 20 times for each qb in each game? Know how many of those were picked? None. How many resulted in completions? Virtually all. How many in TDs? Many.

Okay, Alex, realistically, you have no OL or a very poor OL for pass blocking. Granted. But for those times when you have a guy and you lock your eyeglobes in on him, everybody in the stadium, but especially the LBs, Corners or Safeties know where you are going with that pass. Many of those got picked or nearly so. IF you could just do 2 things, you would incr your chances of completions by over 20-30% of where you are now.

1) Dont' look or stare your receiver down. Obviously(i hope) the coaches have pointed that out to you, but son, you got to break that habit. And it is hard with a really poor OL. Nonetheless, you have to do it.

2)PUMP FAKE--you won't believe how many D backs will fall for it. YOur completion percentage will skyrocket and your Ws will too. YOu can be a very good QB if you could just add these 2 time worn items to your armamentarium. The 2 picks to morgan were both into double coverage, because you virtually stared at #84 from the time he left LOS. So don't. Alex, you are both smart and disciplined. Show us you can not stare your guy down, and for heaven sakes, show us the pump fake...and then show us again and again and again. Watch the Ws stack up.

I like number 1 and 2 that Don't look or Stare your receiver down because other CB or Safety can see Alex's head is the straight on point.. you know? So i wanna Alex need learning how Pump Fake! sigh.. it is really hard them Oline can't holding the defense.. Alex does know it so he is finally to threw it that quick a time! very good but need give him a time because plm is Oline can't give him a time! well.. Take Time if Alex is still improve and still wins then Oline will change and trust with him. Oline will possible protect the defense didn't allow a sack with Alex..

What?

Basically, to summarize, Alex and the OL right now aren't very beastly.

Give them time to gel, and they'll all be beastly.

Well the gramar I mean. Is it English?
Hi everyone, this is my 1st post on this forum. I think Alex doesn't have the comfort level with the receivers yet. Looking off safeties involves knowing where your receiver will be without looking at them. Plus its alot harder to look of safeties in 2WR set when you don have too many options to diver the safeties attention to.
Originally posted by asakkings:
Hi everyone, this is my 1st post on this forum. I think Alex doesn't have the comfort level with the receivers yet. Looking off safeties involves knowing where your receiver will be without looking at them. Plus its alot harder to look of safeties in 2WR set when you don have too many options to diver the safeties attention to.

Some of that is playing with people for a while. That's why the musical chairs at QB has to end. Just keep him in there the remainder of the season. Honestly we really need to find out what we have with Smith anyway. Also this season is over already so why not find out what Smith is?
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Hey bubba, do you have any idea exactly how many pump fakes you used last Sun.? Yup, same # you used in game before that, game before that, and so on, right on thru to your first game with 49ers. Know how many pump fakes Eli, Peyton, Brady and Rothlisberger used on Sun? How about most any pass that wasn't a quick slant or out...say maybe 10, 15, 20 times for each qb in each game? Know how many of those were picked? None. How many resulted in completions? Virtually all. How many in TDs? Many.

Okay, Alex, realistically, you have no OL or a very poor OL for pass blocking. Granted. But for those times when you have a guy and you lock your eyeglobes in on him, everybody in the stadium, but especially the LBs, Corners or Safeties know where you are going with that pass. Many of those got picked or nearly so. IF you could just do 2 things, you would incr your chances of completions by over 20-30% of where you are now.

1) Dont' look or stare your receiver down. Obviously(i hope) the coaches have pointed that out to you, but son, you got to break that habit. And it is hard with a really poor OL. Nonetheless, you have to do it.

2)PUMP FAKE--you won't believe how many D backs will fall for it. YOur completion percentage will skyrocket and your Ws will too. YOu can be a very good QB if you could just add these 2 time worn items to your armamentarium. The 2 picks to morgan were both into double coverage, because you virtually stared at #84 from the time he left LOS. So don't. Alex, you are both smart and disciplined. Show us you can not stare your guy down, and for heaven sakes, show us the pump fake...and then show us again and again and again. Watch the Ws stack up.

I like number 1 and 2 that Don't look or Stare your receiver down because other CB or Safety can see Alex's head is the straight on point.. you know? So i wanna Alex need learning how Pump Fake! sigh.. it is really hard them Oline can't holding the defense.. Alex does know it so he is finally to threw it that quick a time! very good but need give him a time because plm is Oline can't give him a time! well.. Take Time if Alex is still improve and still wins then Oline will change and trust with him. Oline will possible protect the defense didn't allow a sack with Alex..

What?

Basically, to summarize, Alex and the OL right now aren't very beastly.

Give them time to gel, and they'll all be beastly.

Well the gramar I mean. Is it English?

Unless ur an english teacher who cares....

lol, finally signed up?

Some of that is playing with people for a while. That's why the musical chairs at QB has to end. Just keep him in there the remainder of the season. Honestly we really need to find out what we have with Smith anyway. Also this season is over already so why not find out what Smith is?

Welcome asakkings. I don't know when Alex will get comfortable since he's always had an issue of throwing to a receiver instead of throwing to a spot. I think this is why so many balls get tipped or picked.

[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Nov 11, 2009 at 21:45:11 ]
Pumpfake or not, the guy still sucks. Overthrows balls, stares down his receivers, has a slow release, and is inaccurate.

Alex Bust
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
he doesnt have time to pumpfake

So true, hideously true.

On the other hand he could do it when he's running out of the collapsing pocket a couple times to see if he could freeze anyone..
He can't pump fake. His hands are too small. If he pump fakes the ball will fall out :)

Maybe he should shoulder fake.
  • bambam52
  • Info N/A
here is a good strategy for alex to avoid picks:
have a clock in his head once 3 seconds go off ,TUCK THE BALL AND RUN , like he did in the 1st qtr vs the titans

• Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
You can pump fake all you want but it's gonna stop balls from being tipped by the WR's.

-9fA

pump fakes are also not used whilly-nilly like in Madden. Take, for example, the Slant and Go, the sluggo. The route is dependent upon the receiver and the QB understanding the coverage, typically with the CB giving a cushion and looking in the backfield. When the receiver breaks to feign a slant, the QB pump fakes. this requires a lot of timing and confidence in the Oline to hold up, the receiver to sell the route with a good fake and of course, hoping the CB bites. This stuff comes from time together and trust between players, something this team has not had in 7 years.

Everyone likes to see Favre who does pump fake like crazy, manning, Brees, but these guys are elite passers, who have the utmost trust in their receivers and oline. If you expect Alex to do this, especially after almost 2 years off with new receivers and scheme, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

The last time I remember Alex doing a pump fake was in 06 against Denver, where he pumped to one side then went to Battle down the seam. This was after playing a whole season in the same scheme, with the same players and the team evolving with smith. It takes time. Smith doesn't have much time tho, so he does have to step up but we need to also lower our expectations. This team is just not as good as we want them to be.

well said.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Pumpfake or not, the guy still sucks. Overthrows balls, stares down his receivers, has a slow release, and is inaccurate.

Alex Bust

I am pretty sure that you have little to zero experience, either playing, or realistically analyzing sports in general. Take some time to actually watch, play , or read about, what it is like to compete at a level above "everyone plays and gets atrophy for trying" and then you may be taken seriously! Or, just try watching the game b4 u spew un-substantiated opinions.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
You can pump fake all you want but it's not gonna stop balls from being tipped by the WR's.

-9fA

pump fakes are also not used whilly-nilly like in Madden. Take, for example, the Slant and Go, the sluggo. The route is dependent upon the receiver and the QB understanding the coverage, typically with the CB giving a cushion and looking in the backfield. When the receiver breaks to feign a slant, the QB pump fakes. this requires a lot of timing and confidence in the Oline to hold up, the receiver to sell the route with a good fake and of course, hoping the CB bites. This stuff comes from time together and trust between players, something this team has not had in 7 years.

Everyone likes to see Favre who does pump fake like crazy, manning, Brees, but these guys are elite passers, who have the utmost trust in their receivers and oline. If you expect Alex to do this, especially after almost 2 years off with new receivers and scheme, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

The last time I remember Alex doing a pump fake was in 06 against Denver, where he pumped to one side then went to Battle down the seam. This was after playing a whole season in the same scheme, with the same players and the team evolving with smith. It takes time. Smith doesn't have much time tho, so he does have to step up but we need to also lower our expectations. This team is just not as good as we want them to be.

Fixed!

-9fA

i think smith can be the answer to QB u cant really expect a guy to come back after 2 years of not playing and recering from injuries and expect him to light it up especially with our o line i think a better o line and a couple more practice sessions and he will be a awsome QB
Pump faking avoids picks huh? So if every qb adopts that then no one will ever throw a pick. Just wondering how Big Ben has 7 ints then? I guess you didn't notice that its his trademark move and he pump fakes like no one else can. Not to mention he can take a shot from a defender like most QB's can't
Share 49ersWebzone