LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

Consensus: 2/3 of Smith's Picks were not his Fault

Shop Find 49ers gear online
this thread and any other thread that depicts and makes excuses for his throws and ints last week. Deal with it. On to Chicago.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Thaay juzt say taht dood. Smyth iz teh busty leef.

Remember when last year, the INT's by JTO were all just part of his "Gunslinger mentality" ? .... ..

And people accepted that for 8 games. Alex has started 2 with this being the only game he's thrown more INT's than TDs. Of the three he's played in, this was the first time he's thrown more than one interception.

Even the best QB's in the game have games like this. Frick man, Warner had 5 INT's and a fumble lost against the Panthers... Rodgers had two against the Bucs. Cutler had three against the Bengals. Garrard threw two and zero touchdowns against the Titans. Schaub threw two against Buffalo. Manning threw three against Arizona.

Get off his back over one game. If he keeps doing this, jump back on. I'll join.

Come on now...

Warner averages 281 yards per game with 16 TD's so far and only 11 INT's. All the guys listed have much better stats than Alex. Look at the numbers:

Rodgers averages 281 yards with 16 TD's and 5 INT's.
Cutler averages 255 yards with 14 TD's and 12 INT's.
Schaub averages 294 yards with 17 TD's and 9 INT's.
Do I even need to mentioned Manning's 318 yard average with 16 TD's and 5 INT's.

Hell, even Gerard (who has the same 5 Int's and around 230 yards a game) threw his across 266 attempts (8 games) instead of the 99 attempts (2.5 games) from Alex.

Look, I want Alex to do good just as much as the next guy; but, the guys you mentioned are clearly playing at a higher level than Alex is right now. I'd be ok with Alex having a so called bad day if he was getting 250 - 300 yard games consistently.

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. He's only played in TWO and a half games. There's no way to "spread out" those interception numbers, nor is there any way Smith could have matched their touchdown numbers is such a short span.

Come on now, that couldn't be more clear. Heck, if you double Smith's games to 5 and TD-INT numbers, making it 12-10 -- same ratio, but more comparable to Cutler, he still has a better TD-INT ratio. Comparing such small yardage differences is exceptionally nitpicky, I feel, to say the least.

It's still early, and with only two starts, I still can't tell exactly where Alex is at -- it took us 5.5 games to see Hill. Over the next two games, it'll become much more clear.

Like I said, if he keeps having games like that, jump back on his back, and I will too.
He needs to stop overthrowing receivers, which is why they tip the ball up and makes it easy to get picked.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Consensus: 2/3 of Smith's Picks were not his Fault

Is it also a consensus that seven losses in his last seven starts were also not his fault?

The fumbles? Consensus? Turkeys?

this. solid games without wins are pointless. there are no moral victories.

[ Edited by bigmike55 on Nov 11, 2009 at 12:37:06 ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
  • Nabisko
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by maximill15:
tipped balls happen, im more worried about him staring down wr! he needs to learn to pump fake and stare off safeties!

I agree he needs to use his eyes more as a weapon but I really don't think he has all the time in the world to pump fake. He hardly has time to throw the ball..
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Thaay juzt say taht dood. Smyth iz teh busty leef.

Remember when last year, the INT's by JTO were all just part of his "Gunslinger mentality" ? .... ..

And people accepted that for 8 games. Alex has started 2 with this being the only game he's thrown more INT's than TDs. Of the three he's played in, this was the first time he's thrown more than one interception.

Even the best QB's in the game have games like this. Frick man, Warner had 5 INT's and a fumble lost against the Panthers... Rodgers had two against the Bucs. Cutler had three against the Bengals. Garrard threw two and zero touchdowns against the Titans. Schaub threw two against Buffalo. Manning threw three against Arizona.

Get off his back over one game. If he keeps doing this, jump back on. I'll join.

Come on now...

Warner averages 281 yards per game with 16 TD's so far and only 11 INT's. All the guys listed have much better stats than Alex. Look at the numbers:

Rodgers averages 281 yards with 16 TD's and 5 INT's.
Cutler averages 255 yards with 14 TD's and 12 INT's.
Schaub averages 294 yards with 17 TD's and 9 INT's.
Do I even need to mentioned Manning's 318 yard average with 16 TD's and 5 INT's.

Hell, even Gerard (who has the same 5 Int's and around 230 yards a game) threw his across 266 attempts (8 games) instead of the 99 attempts (2.5 games) from Alex.

Look, I want Alex to do good just as much as the next guy; but, the guys you mentioned are clearly playing at a higher level than Alex is right now. I'd be ok with Alex having a so called bad day if he was getting 250 - 300 yard games consistently.

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. He's only played in TWO and a half games. There's no way to "spread out" those interception numbers, nor is there any way Smith could have matched their touchdown numbers is such a short span.

Come on now, that couldn't be more clear. Heck, if you double Smith's games to 5 and TD-INT numbers, making it 12-10 -- same ratio, but more comparable to Cutler, he still has a better TD-INT ratio. Comparing such small yardage differences is exceptionally nitpicky, I feel, to say the least.

It's still early, and with only two starts, I still can't tell exactly where Alex is at -- it took us 5.5 games to see Hill. Over the next two games, it'll become much more clear.

Like I said, if he keeps having games like that, jump back on his back, and I will too.

I agree 2.5 games is not enough of a sample size to say how this kid operates; but, we have seen him make the same mistakes back in 2007, 2006, and 2005. I think we should stick with him for now; but, if he continues playing like crap, lets see what the rook can do.

Also, you know we can't just double his current stats and compare them to Cutler's. This would be like saying Hill won 5 of his last 8 so if he started every game this season we would finish 10-6 (because we take his last 8 and double that)... It just doesn't work that way.
Originally posted by dhp318:
He needs to stop overthrowing receivers, which is why they tip the ball up and makes it easy to get picked.

That didn't happen on either of the two tipped balls that were picked off on Sunday though.
Not that long ago the consensus thought the world was flat and women should be allowed to read.

The consensus can be wrong.
Also, you know we can't just double his current stats and compare them to Cutler's. This would be like saying Hill won 5 of his last 8 so if he started every game this season we would finish 10-6 (because we take his last 8 and double that)... It just doesn't work that way.

A players stats are generally attributed to the player. Wins/Losses are attributed to a team, offense and defense, not just one player. So that makes no sense at all...

Originally posted by Leathaface:
These are the kinds of posts that make Smith fans look like complete idiots.

Funny thing is, I like Smith as our starting QB right now. I just hate seeing the BS excuses homers make up for him.

I have no problem with him as the QB as of right now. Singletary HAD to do something to try and get the 49er's out of a losing slide.

What annoys me most are the endless excuses and why it's NEVER his fault.

The next few games will determine whether or not he has really improved to the point where he's worth keeping. And I do believe that it's where Singletary is heading so that he can justify his decision at the end of the season.

The one thing that Singletary has proven is that he WON'T hang on to an unproductive player. Hopefully, he feels the same about his assistants and coaches which would only to fair to everyone.

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 11, 2009 at 13:04:04 ]
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
These are the kinds of posts that make Smith fans look like complete idiots.

Funny thing is, I like Smith as our starting QB right now. I just hate seeing the BS excuses homers make up for him.

I have no problem with him as the QB as of right now. Singletary HAD to do something to try and get the 49er's out of a losing slide.

What annoys me most are the endless excuses and why it's NEVER his fault.

The next few games will determine whether or not he has really improved to the point where he's worth keeping. And I do believe that it's where Singletary is heading so that he can justify his decision at the end of the season.

The one thing that Singletary has proven is that he WON'T hang on to an unproductive player. Hopefully, he feels the same about his assistants and coaches which would only to fair to everyone.

Yea, I agree that Sing made the right choice and I like that Raye isn't the old stubborn guy that I thought...he's opening up the offense. It just sucks that this is going to be at the expense of our season. It's something that had to be done, though.

We're again going to be thinking about next year after a 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 season. Outside looking in...once again.
how about you guys compare Smiths offensive line and OC to all the league leading QB's your comparing his 2.5 games to? this is ridiculous. he moves the offense and he puts up points, INT's happen, 3 of those were the receivers fault and one was a desperation end of the game throw against the texans on 4th and 10 with time running out. EVERY QB throws more INT's in that situation than TD's. its a low percentage throw. this guy cant do anything to please you people. we look like a real NFL team with him under center, the whole team looks better with him back there. get off it
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

I was at that game.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
how about you guys compare Smiths offensive line and OC to all the league leading QB's your comparing his 2.5 games to? this is ridiculous. he moves the offense and he puts up points, INT's happen, 3 of those were the receivers fault and one was a desperation end of the game throw against the texans on 4th and 10 with time running out. EVERY QB throws more INT's in that situation than TD's. its a low percentage throw. this guy cant do anything to please you people. we look like a real NFL team with him under center, the whole team looks better with him back there. get off it

Seriously. It's like taking a 3/4 court shot at the end of the quarter in Basketball. Every player on the floor is going to attempt it even though they almost never go in and it's going to bring their shooting percentage down.
Share 49ersWebzone