There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Consensus: 2/3 of Smith's Picks were not his Fault

Teammates, Coaches, Management, the Bears Coaching staff, and analysts.

Quote:
Nobody around 49ers headquarters is pointing fingers at Smith, who made his first home start in more than two years. San Francisco’s No. 1 overall draft pick in 2005 out of Utah, Smith was promoted back into the starting role at halftime of the 49ers’ loss at Houston on Oct. 25 when Singletary benched Shaun Hill(notes).

“That throw Alex made, it wasn’t on Alex and it wasn’t really on the receiver,” tight end Vernon Davis(notes) said. “Obviously, receivers have got to catch the ball but that’s just something that happens sometimes.”

Offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye said Tuesday there’s not a lot that can be coached in practice when it comes to tipped balls. Often, getting possession on such plays is a matter of luck. Lately, it’s the defense that’s been able to capitalize.

“Alex Smith has done some good things, another athlete at the position,” Bears coach Lovie Smith said Tuesday. “He had a few interceptions last week but a couple of them were off deflections. His mobility causes you problems.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-49ers-smithregroups&prov=ap&type=lgns

[ Edited by nickbradley on Nov 11, 2009 at 08:06:10 ]
Thaay juzt say taht dood. Smyth iz teh busty leef.
  • SoCold
  • Veteran
already posted about the turnovers many time I think even by you linking an article in a prior thread

a new thread doesn't need to be made every time someone finds a new link to something
LOL. This guy throws more picks that were not his fault than any other QB that I know of...

There's got to be something to this...
Originally posted by D_Niner:
LOL. This guy throws more picks that were not his fault than any other QB that I know of...

There's got to be something to this...

if this continues....forget a Brady rule...I think there should be a Alex rule....if the ball gets deflected, it is a penalty if the opposing defense catches the ball...if it does happen.....automatic 1st down, with the culprit suspended for the rest of the game.......just so "Teammates, Coaches, Management, the Bears Coaching staff, and analysts." don't have to go through so much time to defend the guy.

Probably seems like I'm piling on....but I understand if Alex was still a rookie....or if this was just a new thing....but its not, and when all these people come to his defense...its like they are all worried about his confidence....as if he is still a rookie.....basically like "its ok Alex its not your fault...continue what you're doing......it has been working mighty fine." no.....I REALLY HOPE Sing or Raye are REALLY getting through to Alex behind the scenes that this is unacceptable.....especially in this league where these defenders live off turnovers.....they are athletic as fk and thrive off mistimed passes....or dropped passes.
They're "not his fault" as in he didn't throw it directly at the defender. But if he had also placed the ball exactly where it should be at the exact time it should of been, tips wouldn't happen. So............yea.
Its never his fault!!! Still rather see him than Hill. Ill take the INTs. I just hope Raye stays with us for a while, cuz I want to at least see Alex in 1 offense for more than a season!!!
Lets just see if it continues.
Originally posted by miked1978:

yeah, I wanna see him more times and playing it whole games if he is improve how win or not then draft qb 2010? Alex is very smart for education and quick a time when he threw it because he know that Oline can't holding cuz they weak it.. Alex just respect them Oline. Alex can do best by himself and work hard when he got better to threw the yards almost 300 yards.. not bad! i have seen him improve it and look different now than 3 years ago!
2 of the int's weren't his fualt, but he better stop fumbling the football.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:

yeah, I wanna see him more times and playing it whole games if he is improve how win or not then draft qb 2010? Alex is very smart for education and quick a time when he threw it because he know that Oline can't holding cuz they weak it.. Alex just respect them Oline. Alex can do best by himself and work hard when he got better to threw the yards almost 300 yards.. not bad! i have seen him improve it and look different now than 3 years ago!

Agreed.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:

Agreed.
Maby if Alex was to put a little more air under his passes, they are less likely to be tipped.
Originally posted by Hopper:
2 of the int's weren't his fualt, but he better stop fumbling the football.

1 of those fumbles werent his fault either. hard not to fumble when your line breaks down like tissue paper, and youre being spun in circles, then have the ball jabbed right out of your tucked arm while being spun.

people who are trying to be all hard nosed like "bah! stop making excuses, the picks are his fault!" clearly havent been watching. ive only seen 1 pick that was alex's fault. the rest were balls that shoulve been caught, but were tipped, and one was a desperation end of game 4th down long ball. those are picked like 70% of the time no matter whos throwing.

give him some time, geez. he has very little NFL experience already, and has been out for 2 years. he throws a couple tipped pass INT's in his first 2.5 games and everyone wants his head.

this whole fanbase can be extremely embarrassing sometimes.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Maby if Alex was to put a little more air under his passes, they are less likely to be tipped.

air under his passes? dude, the higher up a pass is, the more likely it is to be tipped. he threw the balls where the WR could get them, his WR's just didnt make the plays.

Shaun Hill never threw picks, because not too many defenders can intercept a ball off their shoetops. Hill skipped balls off the grass when he had to throw over 15 yards.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home