There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Meltdown has begun!

Originally posted by skylynx05:
It took 8 games for the media, fans and bandwagoners to start throwing in the towel. Talk about resiliance.

I understand the media perspective. Guys like Barrows, Cohn and the like now have thieir chance to retaliate for not being allowed on the field to watch OTA's/practices. It's obvious that writer's are allowing their bitterness to influence the manner in which they pile on in their articles. Since when did journalists become psychiatrists and infer the meaning of what the coaches statements really meant.

My question is this: What did everyone expect??? Did anyone expect this to be anything but a work in progress? They have a favorable schedule from here on out and have at least a chance to be a .500 club. Going into the season, their schedule looked awfully tough and to end up at .500 would have been respectable.

Now, take into account a completely new coaching staff and a re-evaluation of player/personnel (A.Smith, J. Hill, T. Brown) and the results are to be expected. We have an offensive line that has struggled (expected) and a defensive line that has sporadically pressed opposing QB's (expected). Maybe changes to the coaching staff will be made at season's end. The Saints grabbed D Coordinator Williams after Sean Payton was at the helm for 3yrs and that tweak seems to be working out pretty well for them. It didn't happen overnight folks.

Why is everyone caught up in "Why isn't coach focusing on the Cardinals?" Anyone hear of the saying "Focus on what you can control." In college football - do Texas, Alabama and TCU coaches worry about what the Florida Gators are doing. Nope. They focus on what teams are ahead on their schedule. Win your games and the rest will work itself out.

Lighten up and relax!




As a fan, I threw in the towel when the 9ers lost to the Texans. Now I watch other teams play on Sunday, keeping an eye on the 49ers as they get a lead, then piss it way through the course of the game.

I'm tired of hearing the same old excuses (next year, next offseason, when we get a new xyz-coordinator, when Alex Smith gets another year of experience, etc). Motivational speeches may get a team a win or two.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by vermonator:
Originally posted by jedi9er:
Not asking for overnight, but 7 years is the definition of patience. If A. Smith doesn't work out...10 years. I'll still be a fan...just a very frustrated one.

Had we blown up the coaching staff and hired some one other than Singletary as head coach, we would be much further behind the eight ball and considered a team in rebuilding mode (Rams, Bucks, Chiefs, Browns).

Currently, we still can salvage this season. A six game winning streak would erase all this bad blood.

I respect your opinion but I disagree with it. Frankly, I don't even thing Singletary is accountable for:

Brandon Jones
Marvel Smith
Demetric Evans
Tony Pashos

0 for 4

Singletary is a rookie coach that has little help from his GM.

Agree with you. The current GM is the one person in the organization who is primarily responible for all the players on this team. Singletary doesn't have the influence or tenure to be held to account for some of the 49er's questionable personnel moves.

It is the ownership and sr management's opinion that every new head coach or GM must be given at least 4 years unless some special circumstances.

First year to get familiar and cleanse, 2nd year to continue what couldn't be finished in the first year, 3nd year to rebuild, 4th year to evaluate what else needs to be improved. 5th year to see improvements in W/L column. 6th year to expect playoff, 7th year to expect playoff and beyond.

It takes patience, dedication and understanding fans.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by skylynx05:
It took 8 games for the media, fans and bandwagoners to start throwing in the towel. Talk about resiliance.

I understand the media perspective. Guys like Barrows, Cohn and the like now have thieir chance to retaliate for not being allowed on the field to watch OTA's/practices. It's obvious that writer's are allowing their bitterness to influence the manner in which they pile on in their articles. Since when did journalists become psychiatrists and infer the meaning of what the coaches statements really meant.

My question is this: What did everyone expect??? Did anyone expect this to be anything but a work in progress? They have a favorable schedule from here on out and have at least a chance to be a .500 club. Going into the season, their schedule looked awfully tough and to end up at .500 would have been respectable.

Now, take into account a completely new coaching staff and a re-evaluation of player/personnel (A.Smith, J. Hill, T. Brown) and the results are to be expected. We have an offensive line that has struggled (expected) and a defensive line that has sporadically pressed opposing QB's (expected). Maybe changes to the coaching staff will be made at season's end. The Saints grabbed D Coordinator Williams after Sean Payton was at the helm for 3yrs and that tweak seems to be working out pretty well for them. It didn't happen overnight folks.

Why is everyone caught up in "Why isn't coach focusing on the Cardinals?" Anyone hear of the saying "Focus on what you can control." In college football - do Texas, Alabama and TCU coaches worry about what the Florida Gators are doing. Nope. They focus on what teams are ahead on their schedule. Win your games and the rest will work itself out.

Lighten up and relax!


No it didn't happen overnight - we've been under construction for 7 years!

Just wait till next year......
It's going to take time ......
Change doesn't happen overnight.......
Give them 2 or 3 more off-seasons, they'll get it right at some point .......


I agree, i'm sick of hearing that.. we are going to be in the situation soon as the team who hasnt been to the playoff since...
Originally posted by RamItOn:
Originally posted by skylynx05:
It took 8 games for the media, fans and bandwagoners to start throwing in the towel. Talk about resiliance.

I understand the media perspective. Guys like Barrows, Cohn and the like now have thieir chance to retaliate for not being allowed on the field to watch OTA's/practices. It's obvious that writer's are allowing their bitterness to influence the manner in which they pile on in their articles. Since when did journalists become psychiatrists and infer the meaning of what the coaches statements really meant.

My question is this: What did everyone expect??? Did anyone expect this to be anything but a work in progress? They have a favorable schedule from here on out and have at least a chance to be a .500 club. Going into the season, their schedule looked awfully tough and to end up at .500 would have been respectable.

Now, take into account a completely new coaching staff and a re-evaluation of player/personnel (A.Smith, J. Hill, T. Brown) and the results are to be expected. We have an offensive line that has struggled (expected) and a defensive line that has sporadically pressed opposing QB's (expected). Maybe changes to the coaching staff will be made at season's end. The Saints grabbed D Coordinator Williams after Sean Payton was at the helm for 3yrs and that tweak seems to be working out pretty well for them. It didn't happen overnight folks.

Why is everyone caught up in "Why isn't coach focusing on the Cardinals?" Anyone hear of the saying "Focus on what you can control." In college football - do Texas, Alabama and TCU coaches worry about what the Florida Gators are doing. Nope. They focus on what teams are ahead on their schedule. Win your games and the rest will work itself out.

Lighten up and relax!




As a fan, I threw in the towel when the 9ers lost to the Texans. Now I watch other teams play on Sunday, keeping an eye on the 49ers as they get a lead, then piss it way through the course of the game.

I'm tired of hearing the same old excuses (next year, next offseason, when we get a new xyz-coordinator, when Alex Smith gets another year of experience, etc). Motivational speeches may get a team a win or two.

Are you serious? That early? Kind of premature at that point
Coach Singletary can't get on the field and do the hitting. The coach can only work with what he's got. The 49ers used the #10 pick on a guy who held out for 6 weeks. Don't think that pick was his call.

Reporters and fans want to take swipes at a coach who has a staff in place for all of 8 games. We have close losses on the road at Minnesota, Indy, Houston and home against Tennessee. I am not one for moral victories, but given the changes Coach Singletary has made, I would consider it unrealistic for things to go off without a hitch.

Coach chose Shaun Hill over JT O'Sullivan because he managed the game well and didn't turn the ball over a ton. Now we have a QB that gives us more offense but is more turnover prone. Which option is better?

Coach Sing seems to be giving the young guys (Morgan, J.Hill, Crabtree, T. Brown, Rachal, Balmer, R. Smith etc) a shot over guys like Bruce, Battle and even Clements. We don't have a Peyton Manning or Drew Brees feeding these guys on offense the ball. It's gonna take some time. Granted 49ers fans have endured a lot since '03 but we can't pin anything before '09 on the current coach or his staff. I don't think that you can argue that the pieces are put in place for a team to simply take off and go 10-6.
we all know it doesnt happen in one season, but the truth is, this isnt about one season. this is about season after season after season of dissapointment. how many more years of this bulls**t do we have to deal with?
Originally posted by vermonator:
I recall some of these very same reporters in 1988 calling out Bill Walsh in the same way. No news is good news and some of these reporters would in deed like nothing better than to see the team and coach fail. I paid them no heed back then and I pay them no heed right now.

Lowell’s snotty line of questioning was not meant to get an answer but a response and that’s what he got. In my opinion, though his question may have been legitimate, regarding Singletary’s “show me don’t tell me” stance and how he knows how his team will respond, Lowell framed his question in the form of an insult and he should have expected the backlash he received. Instead, he countered the answer like a child who just had his favorite toy truck stomped on.

Lowell you have been Singed! Now grow up and get over it!

Cohn has always been like this. Never liked him.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
At least the Niners aren't the Lions or Browns.

You sure have high expectations.
This season is very similar to the last couple. Start out with some wins, followed by a LONG string of loses, and then finishing the season with a couple more wins.



But for some reason I keep thinking this year is going to be different. Even though we are in our annual mid-season losing streak, I keep thinking this team is about to bust loose. I guess we'll see.
If the 49ers lose Thursday then all hell is going to break lose. The zone might actually overload.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miF1pEN74I0
heres what i think

[ Edited by 49ersnum1 on Nov 10, 2009 at 22:08:30 ]
Originally posted by jed_york:
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by vermonator:
Originally posted by jedi9er:
Not asking for overnight, but 7 years is the definition of patience. If A. Smith doesn't work out...10 years. I'll still be a fan...just a very frustrated one.

Had we blown up the coaching staff and hired some one other than Singletary as head coach, we would be much further behind the eight ball and considered a team in rebuilding mode (Rams, Bucks, Chiefs, Browns).

Currently, we still can salvage this season. A six game winning streak would erase all this bad blood.

I respect your opinion but I disagree with it. Frankly, I don't even thing Singletary is accountable for:

Brandon Jones
Marvel Smith
Demetric Evans
Tony Pashos

0 for 4

Singletary is a rookie coach that has little help from his GM.

Agree with you. The current GM is the one person in the organization who is primarily responible for all the players on this team. Singletary doesn't have the influence or tenure to be held to account for some of the 49er's questionable personnel moves.

It is the ownership and sr management's opinion that every new head coach or GM must be given at least 4 years unless some special circumstances.

First year to get familiar and cleanse, 2nd year to continue what couldn't be finished in the first year, 3nd year to rebuild, 4th year to evaluate what else needs to be improved. 5th year to see improvements in W/L column. 6th year to expect playoff, 7th year to expect playoff and beyond.

It takes patience, dedication and understanding fans.

Dude, you sound like NolanHasAPlan, did you change your name?
I take exception to the four players attributed to McCloughan:

Marvel Smith...I'd agree, he was a risky signing that didn't work out
Tony Pashos...Mac didn't get him hurt...he could've solidified RT.
Brandon Jones. Ditto...for whatever reason, he's rarely seen the field after lighting it up in camp prior to his injury.
Demetric Evans. I thought he was contributing more and more on the DL...now he's out, how is that Mac's fault?

I agree we need a top-flight GM...but, other than SMith I don't see the other three as bad acquisitions at all.
Melting down as fans just shows that we care about our team.

Even the fans of winning teams criticize their team, coaches, management, and ownership

Oh -- and you haven't seen anything yet.
I think Cohn is a jerk and not a very good journalist.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by vermonator:
I recall some of these very same reporters in 1988 calling out Bill Walsh in the same way. No news is good news and some of these reporters would in deed like nothing better than to see the team and coach fail. I paid them no heed back then and I pay them no heed right now.

Lowell’s snotty line of questioning was not meant to get an answer but a response and that’s what he got. In my opinion, though his question may have been legitimate, regarding Singletary’s “show me don’t tell me” stance and how he knows how his team will respond, Lowell framed his question in the form of an insult and he should have expected the backlash he received. Instead, he countered the answer like a child who just had his favorite toy truck stomped on.

Lowell you have been Singed! Now grow up and get over it!

Cohn has always been like this. Never liked him.