LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

The Meltdown has begun!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It took 8 games for the media, fans and bandwagoners to start throwing in the towel. Talk about resiliance.

I understand the media perspective. Guys like Barrows, Cohn and the like now have thieir chance to retaliate for not being allowed on the field to watch OTA's/practices. It's obvious that writer's are allowing their bitterness to influence the manner in which they pile on in their articles. Since when did journalists become psychiatrists and infer the meaning of what the coaches statements really meant.

My question is this: What did everyone expect??? Did anyone expect this to be anything but a work in progress? They have a favorable schedule from here on out and have at least a chance to be a .500 club. Going into the season, their schedule looked awfully tough and to end up at .500 would have been respectable.

Now, take into account a completely new coaching staff and a re-evaluation of player/personnel (A.Smith, J. Hill, T. Brown) and the results are to be expected. We have an offensive line that has struggled (expected) and a defensive line that has sporadically pressed opposing QB's (expected). Maybe changes to the coaching staff will be made at season's end. The Saints grabbed D Coordinator Williams after Sean Payton was at the helm for 3yrs and that tweak seems to be working out pretty well for them. It didn't happen overnight folks.

Why is everyone caught up in "Why isn't coach focusing on the Cardinals?" Anyone hear of the saying "Focus on what you can control." In college football - do Texas, Alabama and TCU coaches worry about what the Florida Gators are doing. Nope. They focus on what teams are ahead on their schedule. Win your games and the rest will work itself out.

Lighten up and relax!

[ Edited by skylynx05 on Nov 10, 2009 at 09:33:25 ]
Originally posted by skylynx05:
It took 8 games for the media, fans and bandwagoners to start throwing in the towel. Talk about resiliance.

I understand the media perspective. Guys like Barrows, Cohn and the like now have thieir chance to retaliate for not being allowed on the field to watch OTA's/practices. It's obvious that writer's are allowing their bitterness to influence the manner in which they pile on in their articles. Since when did journalists become psychiatrists and infer the meaning of what the coaches statements really meant.

My question is this: What did everyone expect??? Did anyone expect this to be anything but a work in progress? They have a favorable schedule from here on out and have at least a chance to be a .500 club. Going into the season, their schedule looked awfully tough and to end up at .500 would have been respectable.

Now, take into account a completely new coaching staff and a re-evaluation of player/personnel (A.Smith, J. Hill, T. Brown) and the results are to be expected. We have an offensive line that has struggled (expected) and a defensive line that has sporadically pressed opposing QB's (expected). Maybe changes to the coaching staff will be made at season's end. The Saints grabbed D Coordinator Williams after Sean Payton was at the helm for 3yrs and that tweak seems to be working out pretty well for them. It didn't happen overnight folks.

Why is everyone caught up in "Why isn't coach focusing on the Cardinals?" Anyone hear of the saying "Focus on what you can control." In college football - do Texas, Alabama and TCU coaches worry about what the Florida Gators are doing. Nope. They focus on what teams are ahead on their schedule. Win your games and the rest will work itself out.

Lighten up and relax!

Yep , it is not going to happen in one season . Man if the 49ers lose against the bears the MELTDOWN is going to explode.
I recall some of these very same reporters in 1988 calling out Bill Walsh in the same way. No news is good news and some of these reporters would in deed like nothing better than to see the team and coach fail. I paid them no heed back then and I pay them no heed right now.

Lowell’s snotty line of questioning was not meant to get an answer but a response and that’s what he got. In my opinion, though his question may have been legitimate, regarding Singletary’s “show me don’t tell me” stance and how he knows how his team will respond, Lowell framed his question in the form of an insult and he should have expected the backlash he received. Instead, he countered the answer like a child who just had his favorite toy truck stomped on.

Lowell you have been Singed! Now grow up and get over it!

[ Edited by vermonator on Nov 10, 2009 at 10:22:03 ]
Not asking for overnight, but 7 years is the definition of patience. If A. Smith doesn't work out...10 years. I'll still be a fan...just a very frustrated one.
The overreaction to normal critical discussion has also begun.
Originally posted by jedi9er:
Not asking for overnight, but 7 years is the definition of patience. If A. Smith doesn't work out...10 years. I'll still be a fan...just a very frustrated one.

Had we blown up the coaching staff and hired some one other than Singletary as head coach, we would be much further behind the eight ball and considered a team in rebuilding mode (Rams, Bucks, Chiefs, Browns).

Currently, we still can salvage this season. A six game winning streak would erase all this bad blood.
Originally posted by djfullshred:

Cuts both ways doesn't it?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I think it is reasonable to expect continuous improvement, since the team was 7-9
last year and finished 5-4 anything less than 9-7 is unacceptable.
Originally posted by vermonator:
Originally posted by djfullshred:

Cuts both ways doesn't it?

lol, it only cuts those that are wanting to bleed. Some people get emotionally wounded by reading criticism. I just see it as interesting discussion while I am bored at work.

Loud Noises!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Had we blown up the coaching staff and hired some one other than Singletary as head coach, we would be much further behind the eight ball and considered a team in rebuilding mode (Rams, Bucks, Chiefs, Browns).

Currently, we still can salvage this season. A six game winning streak would erase all this bad blood.

I respect your opinion but I disagree with it. Frankly, I don't even thing Singletary is accountable for:

Brandon Jones
Marvel Smith
Demetric Evans
Tony Pashos

0 for 4

Singletary is a rookie coach that has little help from his GM.

Agree with you. The current GM is the one person in the organization who is primarily responible for all the players on this team. Singletary doesn't have the influence or tenure to be held to account for some of the 49er's questionable personnel moves.
At least the Niners aren't the Lions or Browns.
Originally posted by skylynx05:

Lighten up and relax!

As a fan, I threw in the towel when the 9ers lost to the Texans. Now I watch other teams play on Sunday, keeping an eye on the 49ers as they get a lead, then piss it way through the course of the game.

I'm tired of hearing the same old excuses (next year, next offseason, when we get a new xyz-coordinator, when Alex Smith gets another year of experience, etc). Motivational speeches may get a team a win or two.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by NinerGM:

I respect your opinion but I disagree with it. Frankly, I don't even thing Singletary is accountable for:

Brandon Jones
Marvel Smith
Demetric Evans
Tony Pashos

0 for 4

Singletary is a rookie coach that has little help from his GM.

Agree with you. The current GM is the one person in the organization who is primarily responible for all the players on this team. Singletary doesn't have the influence or tenure to be held to account for some of the 49er's questionable personnel moves.

It is the ownership and sr management's opinion that every new head coach or GM must be given at least 4 years unless some special circumstances.

First year to get familiar and cleanse, 2nd year to continue what couldn't be finished in the first year, 3nd year to rebuild, 4th year to evaluate what else needs to be improved. 5th year to see improvements in W/L column. 6th year to expect playoff, 7th year to expect playoff and beyond.

It takes patience, dedication and understanding fans.
Share 49ersWebzone