LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 384 users in the forums

Hope Dilfer Is Wrong About Singletary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just picked this up from Don Banks SI Power Rankings
San Francisco 49ers (3-4)
"Talked to Trent Dilfer about Alex Smith the other day. He too agrees the 49ers need to let Smith spread the field with receivers and do what he does best, find the open man. But he doubts whether the run-oriented Mike Singletary will open things up and run the kind of offense that best suits Smith's talents. "Toward the end of 2006 (when Smith and Dilfer were teammates in San Francisco), that's what (offensive coordinator) Norv (Turner) was moving toward, some empty backfield sets and spreading the field with receivers. Alex's used to that and that's what he how he knows how to play," Dilfer said. "But I don't think the 49ers will have the wisdom and the foresight to change to that degree. I just don't."

If and when Norv comes back he will change Singletary's mind.
adapt/evolve or die.

i would like to to say it is as simple as that. it could be, if we had the OL to do so. but with a suspect line, i don't see smith surviving back there. worse, i see rushed throws and poor reads, leading to many turnovers.

as much as it is a cliche', it still the truth (ruth): games are won in the trenches.

i do disagree with the power running mentality/strategy, because that too has suffered from poor line play. the best thing the niners could do is keep the opponent guessing as long as they can. throw on first down every once in a while and keep the defense guessing.
Originally posted by vermonator:

Norv won't come back, but notwithstanding Dufus' opinion is just that. Nothing to get worried about
Taking Singletary's side on this one. Mike's point is that it takes time (and timing) to get more sophisticated in your offense, especially after switching QBs and adding a new #1 WR. It's more of an evolutionary thing than a hard-stop. You have to first gain timing with your weapons around the existing playbook before you can realistically expand it (formations, routes, wrinkles, etc.).

Singletary is a hard-azz, but he's not stupid...he knows that the talent he has on offense doesn't currently fit for the style he wants to play. But the adjustments take time and patience (something we fans and the media have very little of).
After this season Norv will be coaching in the UFL
it seems the only time Smith is allowed to do that is when we NEED to move the ball. It's annoying as hell.
Singletary appears to be over matched. It's clear to see. Now that the "Singmania" has passed, where do we go from here? There are many better options out there.
Originally posted by English:

Norv won't come back, but notwithstanding Dufus' opinion is just that. Nothing to get worried about

You're probably right, but if Norv does get fired, and he will, coming back to San Fran may make the most sense for him. He knows the area, has experience with Alex, and is familiar with the coaching staff. Never say never...
i think we will slowly but surely start to open it up... i dont tihnk we'll be seeing any empty sets sunday but i think we will start to open it up more in the few weeks as alex progesses, and i think he will!

MM guessed at why we don't go to more of a spread offense, because we can't. It was never part of the vision of this team for this year at least, so we simply don't have enough plays/looks/adjustments out of the spread to use it regularly outside of the 2-minute drill.

Sing sounds real stubborn but he actually has a quick trigger finger with regard to making changes as compared to other NFL coaches. We've been throwing the ball quite a bit lately and doing well at it (check the Alex is 6th in DVOA thread), but the problem still is and always has been from the start, we can't run the ball at all.

We're always facing 2nd and long or 3rd and long because we can't even get 3 yards a pop on the ground. In the live chat yesterday, Barrows put the blame 60% on the playcalling, 30% on the OL, and 10% on Gore trying to do too much and making the wrong reads. I think that's a pretty accurate breakdown.

With regards to playcalling, we telegraph run all the way whenever Norris is in the game and not only that, the run almost always goes straight up the gut between the tackles. With regards to personnel, we don't have even one above-avg run blocker on the line. As for Gore, I think he trusts his blockers too much, and needs to break off the play to the outside more often at least to mix it up if Raye isn't going to.
He is right.

In this day in the NFL pass to open up the run. Not the other way around. No other team in the league approaches the game like this. Well no "winning" team does..

Hey Sing/Raye I wonder why that is..
Originally posted by English:

You're probably right, but if Norv does get fired, and he will, coming back to San Fran may make the most sense for him. He knows the area, has experience with Alex, and is familiar with the coaching staff. Never say never...

Well, just for you I won't say never! But I will say that if we take him back I want him signed to a contract which superglues his ass in place.

Sooner or later we have to keep an OC for longer than a year. It's getting just ridiculous!
you are worrying for nothing
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
you are worrying for nothing

Lol we have dropped 3 in a row and the O has been s**tty
Share 49ersWebzone