There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith, 6th Best QB in the NFL (That's Right!)

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by lamontb:
come on now we all know dam well he isn't the 6th best qb in the league

Statistically, per unit of performance, he is the 6th most productive QB in the National Football League.

Misleading stat if I ever saw one. He hasn't even started 3 games this year, not to mention hes only started 1 full season. Top QB's in this league:

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Donovan McNabb
Eli Manning
Phillip Rivers (sorry to say)
Big Ben Roethelisberger
Matt Ryan
Aaron Rodgers
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner
Matt Schuab
Joe Flacco

All of those QB's have been 10x's more productive than Smith, no question about it.

By what measure? Here are the rankings based on DVOA:

1. P.Manning
2. D.Brees
3. T.Brady
4. M.Schaub
5. B.Roethlisberger
6. B.Favre
7. T.Romo
8. K.Orton
9. P.Rivers
10. J.Flacco
11. A.Rodgers
12. K.Kolb
13. C.Palmer
14. M.Ryan
15. E.Manning
16. K.Warner
17. C.Henne
18. C.Pennington
19. M.Hasselbeck
20. S.Wallace
21. D.McNabb
22. B.Leftwich
23. J.Campbell
24. D.Garrard
25. J.Cutler
26. T.Edwards
27. M.Bulger
28. K.Boller
29. M.Sanchez
30. S.Hill
31. J.Delhomme
32. M.Stafford
33. K.Collins
34. B.Quinn
35. M.Cassel
36. J.Johnson
37. R.Fitzpatrick
38. D.Culpepper
39. D.Anderson
40. J.Russell

By what measure?? Pro Bowls, Super Bowls, 4,000 yard seasons, pure and complete production. Give me a break, don't take the little statistics Smith has done in two games and try to blow it up, that's absurd and misleading. Smith has improved yes, no doubt about it, but don't sit there and tell me hes the 6th or 7th best QB in the NFL right now off of what he has done.
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
This is wonderful... Any magic sites that can get us a victory?

Well here's a site that can tell us if we will win or lose...

Here you go...
Very good to hear. Hope he continues to play that way.

Statistically, per unit of performance, he is the 6th most productive QB in the National Football League.

Misleading stat if I ever saw one. He hasn't even started 3 games this year, not to mention hes only started 1 full season. Top QB's in this league:

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Donovan McNabb
Eli Manning
Big Ben Roethelisberger
Matt Ryan
Aaron Rodgers
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner
Matt Schuab
Joe Flacco

All of those QB's have been 10x's more productive than Smith, no question about it.

1. P.Manning
2. D.Brees
3. T.Brady
4. M.Schaub
5. B.Roethlisberger
6. B.Favre
7. T.Romo
8. K.Orton
9. P.Rivers
10. J.Flacco
11. A.Rodgers
12. K.Kolb
13. C.Palmer
14. M.Ryan
15. E.Manning
16. K.Warner
17. C.Henne
18. C.Pennington
19. M.Hasselbeck
20. S.Wallace
21. D.McNabb
22. B.Leftwich
23. J.Campbell
24. D.Garrard
25. J.Cutler
26. T.Edwards
27. M.Bulger
28. K.Boller
29. M.Sanchez
30. S.Hill
31. J.Delhomme
32. M.Stafford
33. K.Collins
34. B.Quinn
35. M.Cassel
36. J.Johnson
37. R.Fitzpatrick
38. D.Culpepper
39. D.Anderson
40. J.Russell

By what measure?? Pro Bowls, Super Bowls, 4,000 yard seasons, pure and complete production. Give me a break, don't take the little statistics Smith has done in two games and try to blow it up, that's absurd and misleading. Smith has improved yes, no doubt about it, but don't sit there and tell me hes the 6th or 7th best QB in the NFL right now off of what he has done.

Right now, this season, Alex Smith has the 6th best numbers for this category -- a stat many consider to be as broad as QB rating but more accurate.
Gotta love his...

I'm right there witcha but I'll wait till he has some more games under his belt before I'm as enthused.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Nov 3, 2009 at 15:19:41 ]

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Donovan McNabb
Eli Manning
Big Ben Roethelisberger
Matt Ryan
Aaron Rodgers
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner
Matt Schuab
Joe Flacco

1. P.Manning
2. D.Brees
3. T.Brady
4. M.Schaub
5. B.Roethlisberger
6. B.Favre
7. T.Romo
8. K.Orton
9. P.Rivers
10. J.Flacco
11. A.Rodgers
12. K.Kolb
13. C.Palmer
14. M.Ryan
15. E.Manning
16. K.Warner
17. C.Henne
18. C.Pennington
19. M.Hasselbeck
20. S.Wallace
21. D.McNabb
22. B.Leftwich
23. J.Campbell
24. D.Garrard
25. J.Cutler
26. T.Edwards
27. M.Bulger
28. K.Boller
29. M.Sanchez
30. S.Hill
31. J.Delhomme
32. M.Stafford
33. K.Collins
34. B.Quinn
35. M.Cassel
36. J.Johnson
37. R.Fitzpatrick
38. D.Culpepper
39. D.Anderson
40. J.Russell

Right now, this season, Alex Smith has the 6th best numbers for this category -- a stat many consider to be as broad as QB rating but more accurate.

Wow... Then that would make Joseph Addai the best pure passer in the NFL right. I mean he's 1 for 1 for a TD and has a passer rate of 158.3 on the season. Why the hell does Indy keep playing an inferior player at QB when Addai is able to put up these kind of statistics...

Sarcasm aside, you've got to calculate for how many attempts a QB has made. 100% completions when all you've ever attempted was 1 pass does not make you better than a 60% completion guy that's made over 200 attempts. Get what I'm sayin.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Donovan McNabb
Eli Manning
Big Ben Roethelisberger
Matt Ryan
Aaron Rodgers
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner
Matt Schuab
Joe Flacco

1. P.Manning
2. D.Brees
3. T.Brady
4. M.Schaub
5. B.Roethlisberger
6. B.Favre
7. T.Romo
8. K.Orton
9. P.Rivers
10. J.Flacco
11. A.Rodgers
12. K.Kolb
13. C.Palmer
14. M.Ryan
15. E.Manning
16. K.Warner
17. C.Henne
18. C.Pennington
19. M.Hasselbeck
20. S.Wallace
21. D.McNabb
22. B.Leftwich
23. J.Campbell
24. D.Garrard
25. J.Cutler
26. T.Edwards
27. M.Bulger
28. K.Boller
29. M.Sanchez
30. S.Hill
31. J.Delhomme
32. M.Stafford
33. K.Collins
34. B.Quinn
35. M.Cassel
36. J.Johnson
37. R.Fitzpatrick
38. D.Culpepper
39. D.Anderson
40. J.Russell

Wow... Then that would make Joseph Addai the best pure passer in the NFL right. I mean he's 1 for 1 for a TD and has a passer rate of 158.3 on the season. Why the hell does Indy keep playing an inferior player at QB when Addai is able to put up these kind of statistics...

Sarcasm aside, you've got to calculate for how many attempts a QB has made. 100% completions when all you've ever attempted was 1 pass does not make you better than a 60% completion guy that's made over 200 attempts. Get what I'm sayin.

I get what you're sayin D, but remember he did qualify the number. Pointing out that Alex was 2 shy of the 59 attempts or completions or...

Basically he extrapolated the stats based on what he was looking at. They use these kind of statistical analysis in Baseball all the time. They are basically a form of Sabermetrics. Even RPs' get measured even though they probably see the field less than a SP in a 5-6 day rotation.

It's credible, but I won't rush out to buy Super Bowl tix and wear my '09 NFCChampionship gear featuring a 9er helmet based on such limited information.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

I get what you're sayin D, but remember he did qualify the number. Pointing out that Alex was 2 shy of the 59 attempts or completions or...

Basically he extrapolated the stats based on what he was looking at. They use these kind of statistical analysis in Baseball all the time. They are basically a form of Sabermetrics. Even RPs' get measured even though they probably see the field less than a SP in a 5-6 day rotation.

It's credible, but I won't rush out to buy Super Bowl tix and wear my '09 NFCChampionship gear featuring a 9er helmet based on such limited information.

~Ceadder

I don't mean to take anything away from Smith, and I hope he plays at a high level for a long time. I just don't think 60 attempts is enough to make a solid case for any player either way... I mean, Alex is what, 2 short of this in a game and a half...

The next 2 games should be good one's for Alex. At least they provide a good opportunity to build up some solid data. I'm interested to see where Alex stands after these should win games.
lets see what he is ranked when he has 300 pass attempts before we get all excited
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Donovan McNabb
Eli Manning
Big Ben Roethelisberger
Matt Ryan
Aaron Rodgers
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner
Matt Schuab
Joe Flacco

1. P.Manning
2. D.Brees
3. T.Brady
4. M.Schaub
5. B.Roethlisberger
6. B.Favre
7. T.Romo
8. K.Orton
9. P.Rivers
10. J.Flacco
11. A.Rodgers
12. K.Kolb
13. C.Palmer
14. M.Ryan
15. E.Manning
16. K.Warner
17. C.Henne
18. C.Pennington
19. M.Hasselbeck
20. S.Wallace
21. D.McNabb
22. B.Leftwich
23. J.Campbell
24. D.Garrard
25. J.Cutler
26. T.Edwards
27. M.Bulger
28. K.Boller
29. M.Sanchez
30. S.Hill
31. J.Delhomme
32. M.Stafford
33. K.Collins
34. B.Quinn
35. M.Cassel
36. J.Johnson
37. R.Fitzpatrick
38. D.Culpepper
39. D.Anderson
40. J.Russell

That's the logic I was looking for.
Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for PatrickWillisHOF.
He has played 6 quarters, and during 2 of those quarters, the team didnt prepare for him
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Call the HOF committee immediately.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
He has played 6 quarters, and during 2 of those quarters, the team didnt prepare for him

but colts top 5 pass D team had time to prepare for him and smith still did well
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Not that I don't believe Alex can be.....but footballoutsiders.com.....
This is hope...