There are 206 users in the forums

Alex Smith, 6th Best QB in the NFL (That's Right!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Davis to Davis still has a better "RING" to it.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Call the HOF committee immediately.

Who said HOF? You must be a Smtih hater.

I never liked the decision to take Smith over Rodgers, but Smith has sold me over the past 2 games.

WTF? are we watching the same game? 231 Passing with only 1 td against the 32nd ranked pass defense? 3 INT's against Philly...yeah I'm sold too
Originally posted by socal81:

I never liked the decision to take Smith over Rodgers, but Smith has sold me over the past 2 games.

WTF? are we watching the same game? 231 Passing with only 1 td against the 32nd ranked pass defense? 3 INT's against Philly...yeah I'm sold too

230 yards in 3 quarters, the team didn't really pass in the 4th quarter. The offense is still taking baby steps. Having the same O next year should allow that offense to progress.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by socal81:

230 yards in 3 quarters, the team didn't really pass in the 4th quarter. The offense is still taking baby steps. Having the same O next year should allow that offense to progress.

Hope your right Knight. We have a tough schedule next year.
Uh look you through stats out the window. I will give you ten qb's better than Smith.

In no particular order:

Manning
Brady
McNabb
Rivers
Schaub
Rothlisberger
Farve
Brees
Warner
Rodgers

Thats the upper echelon.

Than there are young guys like Matt Ryan, Flacco, Stafford, that Johnson dude from Tampa. I mean look I like what Smith is doing, but as far as QB's go, he is middle to the back of the pack at best. But hey at least he is better than Jamarcus Russel. and that counts for something.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by nj49erfan:
Rule of thumb is when you have to describe the stat and most people still don't get it, it's probably not a real stat. Or at least not one any one should care about.

With that said Alex is going to be fine next year. Just not 6th best at anything.

Another game has gone by and he's still #1 in red zone QB rating from what I understand. Maybe he'll be 6th best at that next year?

I think it is funny that the haters beleive that anyone who doesn't hate Smith thinks he is going to be the MVP of the league. The truth is the people who are supporting Smith have never said anything along those lines. Most are saying that he showed improvement and progression and deserves to start next season. But hey I guess if you are blind to the improvement and progression that Smith has made then you would be blind to everything else as well.

The word "improvement" is very situation specific. The man improved from an F to a C over the course of 5 years. If I improve from getting 5 DUI's a year down to 3 DUI's a year, do you think that is worthy of excitement? The point is, he may have improved, but he has just cracked an average of 80 passer rating average for the first time in his career, and still has only one 300 yard game, and WAY more INTs than TDs. The list goes on and on. It's not that "haters" hate, they just aren't as delusional as the Smith bandwagoners are.

Not only that, but he actually has regressed over a pretty good start. He's back to missing receivers entirely, even when not under duress; throwing too late; poor pocket sense, often running into sacks or not running when he should; staring down receivers and failing to pump fake (accounting for numerous blocked passes); not leading receivers to allow for YAC; hoorendous record of 3rd down conversions, nto to mention converting turnovers into points; the list is right there in front of you and the most disturbing thing is, it's essentially the same list from his very first year! Certainly you can't blame it all on Alex, but a good sum, yes you can. Yes, he's better, but is he better enough? Right now, the answer is no and I'm starting to think it' not going to appreciably improve, at leats not to the point we can call him a premier QB. And it hurts me to say it, 'cause I've always pulled for him.

You forgot to mention his averages are right on par with Hill's averages.

You're right! I also don't see where Alex's stronger arm has made any noticeable difference either. I'm hoping for a 1 year metamorphosis like Vernon's, and we all see the Alex we'd hoped for. Just skeptical that'll ever happen, esp since he's making the same mistakes and bad throws he did when first entering the league.

Stronger arm, "faster", Crabtree, easier presnap multiple receiver reads/formations...

What did Hill have? A weaker arm, "less speed", no Crabtree, primarily I-formation Offense.

Yet, Hill, with the focus on Gore did just about as well as Smith with the focus on Smith.
Originally posted by maximill15:
listen you can spin stats any which way you want, but the two things about smith that bother me the most are:

1. WINS!

2. Balls thrown away! Yes alex does this well! Sometimes its the right decision, but sometimes he gets rid of it too quickly or when he could have made a play and didn't!

I agree. Everytime Alex gets flushed out of the pocket and starts running toward the sideline, I already know the "throw it away" play is coming. I know often times receivers are covered in those plays, but c'mon!!! At some point you just gotta make a play. Alex can do that but those instances are very few and far between...
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mickey49:
listen you can spin stats any which way you want, but the two things about smith that bother me the most are:

1. WINS!

2. Balls thrown away! Yes alex does this well! Sometimes its the right decision, but sometimes he gets rid of it too quickly or when he could have made a play and didn't!

I agree. Everytime Alex gets flushed out of the pocket and starts running toward the sideline, I already know the "throw it away" play is coming. I know often times receivers are covered in those plays, but c'mon!!! At some point you just gotta make a play. Alex can do that but those instances are very few and far between...

agreed. people always talk about his mobility, but I think it is overrated actually. he usually rolls to the right, and when he does, it's usually not a good result. I'm not sure if he could avoid doing that by stepping into the pocket more and buying time.
Originally posted by mickey49:

1. WINS!

He is afraid of throwing an INT! So in that regards, it's better for him to escape and throw the ball away than force an INT. Of course the opponents don't care whether he throws an incomplete pass or throws it away, the results are the same.

But he's gotten pretty predictable, hasn't he? First we know that if he's going to throw a pass, it most likely will be Vernon Davis. If he can't find Davis, he looks for Crabtree and if neither is open, he runs to the right and throws the ball away.

If the opponents defense plays these odds, they would be correct 95% of the time!
Everyone here realizes smith has only had one offseason where he was the starting QB going into the season. He wasn't the starter his first season, he got hurt game 4 of the his 3rd season (whihc he was playing pretty well), he didn't even play his forth season due to injury, and this season he was rightfully behind Hill to start the season. That leaves his second season which was his first to learn the digit system along with the whole team.

But, we can debate his lack of accomplishments vs the excuses for these lack of accomplishments until the beginning of next season. The fact of the matter is that the one thing the 9ers haven't tried since Marucci left is continuity. We have never had the same offensive system in place with the same QB and skill positions over an entire offseason.

Maybe next year Smith will fail, maybe he will shine, but no one here can say he has gotten a fair chance to prove himself without the opportunity to play at least two seasons under the same system The speed of the game will slow down another few notches when the offense becomes second nature. The offense will be able to execute more complex plays making defenses have to spread thinner their ability to adjust which will in turn make the basic plays more effective. The at line audibles will be more diverse giving smith a better ability to exploit defenses.

We need to have continuity. And if continuity is the answer then Smith as the starter is our fastest way to the playoffs. If continuity is not the answer for Smith then we have alot of talent and either draft a qb 11' or Davis has had two full years to develop under the same system.

Alex Smith, 6th Best QB in the NFL. That's right, according to footballoutsiders.com.

At Footballoutsiders.com, they do advanced statistical analysis. Their best stat is called DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. This number represents value, per play, over an average quarterback in the same game situations. In order to be ranked by FO, you need to have 59 passes -- Alex has 57. So he's unranked.

But if the threshold to being ranked was 2 passes lower, Alex Smith would have the 6th best rating in the NFL.

And that's not the only stat where he excels. Smith is also very high when you compare effective yards to real yards. Effective yards are yards you should be expected to get depending on the situation (opponent, game situation). Smith is getting about 24% more yards than expected. That puts him at #6 in the NFL, tied w/ Drew Brees.

Don't believe me? Look at the stats (link below). The kid is ballin his a$$ off -- give him credit.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Check his stats and ranking lately????
Bottom line smith is not a winner!
smith doesnt win games..he pads his stats against sh*&&ty teams and comes up short against big competion....blame the oline, blame the recievers...but when ur watching the game the team rest on the qb shoulders and smith always disappoints... ..
ugh...this is just a rant no substance but im just tired of the blind faith smith supporters have after 5 years of being behind a guy who just doesn't have "it" whatever "it" may be...dudes never gonna win a superbowl no matter if we cut him and he goes to the colts or pats...so just cut our losses and move on at the most hes gonna be a qb that gets us to the playoffs and in the nfc west that ant saying much! continuality be damned id rather start with a new qb before our defense gets to old and slow and we lose out on the prime years of our offensive talent... all we are missing is the orcestrator to the offense...o-line (servicable) r.b.(pro-bowler) wr/t.e-(talented and more then serviceable) you cannot be a superbowl team with just a servicable qb...and of course theres an exception to every rule but smith ant it...that was dilfer...
Sixth best quarterback in the NFC West....ok maybe. If he is the sixth best in the league then there is a serious shortage of talent at quarterback in the NFL.
the one thing that the numbers don't recognize about the 6th best qb is being clutch. if we're a drive away from winning or holding a lead, he doesn't show up. hope that changes though. GO NINERS!!! in 2010

It doesn't matter to me. Alex, Shaun or whoever, I cheer for the one that gives us the best chance to win. End of story.

Well it AIN'T Alex? Do we even need to post his W-L record?
Share 49ersWebzone