There are 179 users in the forums

Official Jimmy Raye WTF thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • titan
  • Veteran
I can't believe we are giving Norris any palys outside third or fourth and inches.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Raye isn't going anywhere. Singletary said the day he signed Raye on as OC this was a two year commitment.

He also backed Shaun Hill early in the season. Stay tuned.

Sing still doesn't want to continue the trend of possibly 6 OC's in 6 years.
Originally posted by sj49er408:
This game planning and play-calling is making me so frustrated, I can close my eyes and know what their gonna call on everydown! Raye has to go! Singeltary is blind and ignorant to stay with this guy and continue to do the same dam thing!

I was worried when we hired Jimmy Raye, and unfortunately he has lived up to his mediocre reputation. There's a reason he's been with so many different teams, and has never produced a top offense. Raye was hired because Sing couldn't get an elite OC to come here, and he was the only guy that bought into the "run" mentality that Singletary wanted to implement. I blame Coach Sing as much as Raye for being closed minded, and unwilling to adjust his offense to the personnel that he has. As I've said before, we don't have the personnel to impose our will in the running game, and the team would be much more effective throwing out of the spread to Crabtree, Morgan, Brandon Jones and Jason Hill. Let's get our speed on the field at WR, and move away from Bruce at this point. And you don't get rid of your top returner unless you are sure you have a legitimate replacement. Now we are playing musical chairs with this function, and it's proving to be disastrous. We may have just lost our $64M cornerback for the year by experimenting with the "flavor of the week" as our return man. Sing doesn't seem to be a great evaluator of the skill positions based on his decisions so far.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I just can't get over the handoff to Moran. I can't comprehend the amount of stupidity that goes into calling such a play.

How about the play action pass to Morris beg of 2nd quarter. Prob Smiths mistake but how or why would the fullback running a 1 yard out even be an option. Isn't play action done to throw the ball down field? Stupid plays, stupid players.
  • Crabby9er
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I just can't get over the handoff to Moran. I can't comprehend the amount of stupidity that goes into calling such a play.

How about the play action pass to Morris beg of 2nd quarter. Prob Smiths mistake but how or why would the fullback running a 1 yard out even be an option. Isn't play action done to throw the ball down field? Stupid plays, stupid players.

There was 0 play action being called in the game I couldn't believe it. If you're supposed to be a "run first team" then they play action should be your best friend and Alex loves the play action. It would have gave him some more time in the pocket and easier throws. All our plays were either just hand off to Gore or Smith just dropping back and passing. So boring. So predictable. Jimmy Raye is killing this team.
Originally posted by B650:
Raye isn't going anywhere. Singletary said the day he signed Raye on as OC this was a two year commitment.

He also backed Shaun Hill early in the season. Stay tuned.

Sing still doesn't want to continue the trend of possibly 6 OC's in 6 years.

If the O is the reason we don't make the playoffs then maybe Sing gets pressure from the front office to make a change.

I don't think the plays are the problem, it's just when he calls them. They need to get more creative, realize that Alex isn't Shaun and let him throw more. Whether it's Sing or Raye they need to figure out the problem and start utilizing our strengths.
Run the f**king spread moe Alex excells in it use more shotgun Alex excelles in. Stop trying to be a running team we f**king suck at it. RAYE SING pull your f**king heads out of your asses
WTF for all drives outside of the drive before the half. One big WTF Jimmy.

hmmmm
Also, can we put Crabtree in a position to get YAC?

We can just do curls in the sideline, catch the ball at the sideline and gets out of bounce.

How about a post pattern? How about anything thats design to get maybe a few yards after the catch.

What really bothers me is the whole 2nd half of todays game. Everybody saw the way Smith moved the ball downfield right before the half in the 2 min drill. The offense looked really good and even the O-line did a good job for the most part. But in the 2nd half, instead of going for the knockout punch, we played conservative. DID HE REALLY THINK OUR D WAS GONNA HOLD INDY TO LESS THAN 14 POINTS? Raye must have really thought that, cause the playcalling was HORRIBLE. Was he not watching the 2 min drill the offense ran before the half? Or maybe he was asleep and Johnson took over the playcalling for Raye's nap time. Raye called plays exactly the same way he called them for Hill. Raye is handcuffing his QBs by not using them to their full potential.

Sing and Raye have to realize what's on the line here. We've lost 3 games because of this horrible playcalling. The offense has gone 3 and out so many times that it's become the norm. It's either teams get huge leads on us before they open up the offense OR We get the lead and they handcuff the QB to "protect" the lead. HOW THE HELL DO YOU PROTECT A LEAD BY GOING 3 AND OUT? WHERE'S THE KILLER INSTICT?
Are they blind? Do they think that the O-line is gonna all of sudden decide to be dominant and start run blocking? Are they so afraid of turnovers that they refuse to let Smith get into a rythym throwing out of the gun?

If I'm rambling, I'm sorry. I'm very upset. You know what else? The O-line actually did fairly well (for us) pass blocking today. Sims played very well in relief of an injuried Staley. (Why isn't he starting at RT over Snyder?)

[ Edited by AKfanster on Nov 1, 2009 at 19:39:07 ]

WTF JIMMY RAYE
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
If it isn't broke don't fix it....isn't that the saying? Well WTF, its broke its not working. The RUN isn't working so fix it. We discovered this about 3-4 weeks ago and we are still trying to run on 1st and 2nd downs and pass on 3rd and 99. I mean c'mon. The times that we scored and have been successful is when Smith had the ball in his hands in the spread. So why can't we Pass to set up the Run? Isn't that how Bill Walsh did it? I understand Sing's philosophy and I'm all for it but you can't expect to run when every team in the league already knows what your gonna do. Lets throw some uppercuts in there or some suprises or something. This team is not gonna go anywhere if they don't start being spontaneous instead of predictable.

We have other weapons on this team, no disrespect to GORE, and we need to take advantage of those. I mean Davis can be unstoppable if put in the right situations. Crabtree is balling right now and we have yet to see how good this kid really is. Our defense is playing great and its such a downer when your offense is losing you games, because its always the other way around.
I'm as dumbfounded as everyone else. It makes no sense why we don't run an offense that has been PROVEN to work, that Smith excels in. I don't see why Singletary doesn't see that or why anyone in management doesn't see it.
Were stuck with Raye for another year so get used to it.
Share 49ersWebzone