LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Willis can be the key to improving the passrush

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As great as Patrick Willis is (IMO he is the best defensive player in football) I would like to see this team put him in a better position to make huge impacts on the game more often.

I forget who we played when he had 2.5 sacks but we blitzed him alot that game and he was getting some good pressure and he ate up the RB a few times in the backfield or right at the LOS several times as result.

I'm not saying make Willis our primary passrusher or rely on him to get multiple sacks per game. What I'm saying is Willis can do everything a LB could possibly be asked to do and we need a boost in the passrushing department.

I can only remember that 1 game this season that Willis really blitzed multiple times. I have seen him do so a couple times alot but I do not feel that is enough. We need to be more creative there is alot of talent on this defense especially Willis at the least the attention he would command when he is showing blitz would open it up for the guys coming off the edges.
[ Edited by matt49er on Oct 27, 2009 at 7:50 PM ]
That was against the Rams where he had those sacks. I agree though he should be blitzed up the middle more often to take some pressure off the guys on the edge.
It was against the Rams. Willis has always been able to get pressure whenever he does blitz.
Originally posted by tohara3:
It was against the Rams. Willis has always been able to get pressure whenever he does blitz.

agreed yet we rarely blitz him
not a great idea we need him to be in the play, not chasing down qb'S JUST SO THEY CAN DO CHECK DOWN AND GO FOR A SCORE.. YOU IDIOT.
BETTER YET LETS PUT HIM ON THE OLINE..
Originally posted by vaniner757:
not a great idea we need him to be in the play, not chasing down qb'S JUST SO THEY CAN DO CHECK DOWN AND GO FOR A SCORE.. YOU IDIOT.

If you blitz successfully then the QB gets sacked and there is no play you IDIOT!
Originally posted by MadMartz:

If you blitz successfully then the QB gets sacked and there is no play you IDIOT!

mmm double warnings
Originally posted by RonMexico:

mmm double warnings

Originally posted by DarthNiner:

mmm double warnings

mmm double warnings

He shouldn't be bashing the original poster. f**k HIM and his attitude problem. Jerk!

mmm double warnings

He shouldn't be bashing the original poster. f**k HIM and his attitude problem. Jerk!

mmmm
It could be a good thing. We can shade Lawson over to Willis's vacated spot so we don't lose the coverage.
Originally posted by Reckless:
It could be a good thing. We can shade Lawson over to Willis's vacated spot so we don't lose the coverage.

Exactly, its called disguising your blitzes. Good teams always mix it up so you never know where the blitz is coming from.
Share 49ersWebzone