There are 157 users in the forums

Will Jones and J. Hill be active now that...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Alex is the starter?

the main reasons i could think to keep Jones and Hill inactive were because their style of play is stretching the field, vertical threats. Now that Smith is starting and has the stronger arm, what are the odds these guys get into the game?

I remember Smith having really good chemistry with Jones in camp.

Crabtree, Morgan, Jones and Davis on the field with Gore in the back field...

we finally have playmakers at the skill positions!

Part of the reason they were inactive was the injuries we have at DB. Lewis and R Smith have been out which leaves Roman, Goldson, and an unproven rookie in Taylor. Once we get a little healthier we should load back up on WR's.

won't there be fewer active roster spots available once we're healthier?

We can deactivate guys like Hudson and Taylor

BUt if lewis and Smith are activated, it cancels out, right?

When Lewis and R Smith come back we can deactivate Taylor, Hudson, and possibly another DB. It depends on what we game plan for.

I still don't see how you're figuring these numbers and I'm having a hard time believing that injuries at DB are keeping Hill and Jones out.

If Hudson and Taylor are inactive and Smith and Lewis are active, that leaves no extra spots for Hill or Jones to be activated.

I could definitely see Hill or Jones or even both being activated next week, but I don't think it will have anything to do with DB health.

Maybe I'm explaining wrong, depending on the game plan we may activate certain players or certain positions. We know Wallace, RJF, and Davis are usually kept inactive. The other spots would be filled by how were game planing, considering we have been throwing like s**t there was no point in activating 7 WR's. I still think were carrying too many and somebody needs to get booted.

Most of the year we have had a few guys inactive due to injuries...Gore, R Smith, Jones. Because Lewis is turning into a concussion case I think we will keep 5 Safety's and potentially 5 CB's active until he finally lands on the IR, which will most likely remove a WR from being active.

yeah, that makes a bit more sense. sorry, i'm a little slow. I have a feeling that Lewis won't go on IR, though, that he'll be back next week or the week after. But yeah its a numbers game based on a bunch of factors, and the thing that I think will have the biggest influence on extra wr's being active is if the coaches think we can actually use them. obviously they saw no point in havign Jones activated if Hill couldn't get him the ball.

i would like to see us activate Jones and/or Hill and cut Spurlock.

Don't tell anybody I said this but I would like to see Spurlock cut, Hill and Jones activated, and Battle deactivated.

I have always been a big Battle fan, but I agree. He no longer has a role on this team. No point in cutting him, I believe his contract is up at the end of this year, and we could keep him around in case there are any injuries or anything. But its quite clear that this is his last year in SF and I don't see what good he is doing us at this point.
Alex is the starter?

the main reasons i could think to keep Jones and Hill inactive were because their style of play is stretching the field, vertical threats. Now that Smith is starting and has the stronger arm, what are the odds these guys get into the game?

Part of the reason they were inactive was the injuries we have at DB. Lewis and R Smith have been out which leaves Roman, Goldson, and an unproven rookie in Taylor. Once we get a little healthier we should load back up on WR's.

won't there be fewer active roster spots available once we're healthier?

We can deactivate guys like Hudson and Taylor

BUt if lewis and Smith are activated, it cancels out, right?

When Lewis and R Smith come back we can deactivate Taylor, Hudson, and possibly another DB. It depends on what we game plan for.

I still don't see how you're figuring these numbers and I'm having a hard time believing that injuries at DB are keeping Hill and Jones out.

If Hudson and Taylor are inactive and Smith and Lewis are active, that leaves no extra spots for Hill or Jones to be activated.

I could definitely see Hill or Jones or even both being activated next week, but I don't think it will have anything to do with DB health.

Maybe I'm explaining wrong, depending on the game plan we may activate certain players or certain positions. We know Wallace, RJF, and Davis are usually kept inactive. The other spots would be filled by how were game planing, considering we have been throwing like s**t there was no point in activating 7 WR's. I still think were carrying too many and somebody needs to get booted.

Most of the year we have had a few guys inactive due to injuries...Gore, R Smith, Jones. Because Lewis is turning into a concussion case I think we will keep 5 Safety's and potentially 5 CB's active until he finally lands on the IR, which will most likely remove a WR from being active.

yeah, that makes a bit more sense. sorry, i'm a little slow. I have a feeling that Lewis won't go on IR, though, that he'll be back next week or the week after. But yeah its a numbers game based on a bunch of factors, and the thing that I think will have the biggest influence on extra wr's being active is if the coaches think we can actually use them. obviously they saw no point in havign Jones activated if Hill couldn't get him the ball.

i would like to see us activate Jones and/or Hill and cut Spurlock.

Don't tell anybody I said this but I would like to see Spurlock cut, Hill and Jones activated, and Battle deactivated.

I have always been a big Battle fan, but I agree. He no longer has a role on this team. No point in cutting him, I believe his contract is up at the end of this year, and we could keep him around in case there are any injuries or anything. But its quite clear that this is his last year in SF and I don't see what good he is doing us at this point.

Battle's role has the sure handed reliable WR has be taken by Crabtree. Even in Battle's best year he wouldn't touch the potential that Crabtree offers us. I would keep him for security purposes but at the end of the year we can let him walk.
Yes, Brandon Jones is a good down the field receiver and now that we have a QB that can throw the ball down the field, I suspect you will see Jones in there more and I think Morgan will not only take Bruce's spot before the year is over, I think you will see Bruce may go down to being our 4th WR with B Jones being our 3rd wideout.
Originally posted by jta854:
Hill and Jones... Why do we need them when we have Surlock. Maybe Alex Smith can let Spurlock's talent be shown!!

Oh wait, I forgot, Spurlock sucks. Can somebody tell me why the 49ers are still paying this guy?

Biggest mystery on this team is why Spurlock is on the roster. We paid Jones and Hill is a 3rd round pick that played well at the end of last year and is a good ST player.
I would 1/2 way understand if Spurlock was returning kicks or we ran the taser alot (thank god we dont) but that is not the case. Anybody even know if he was active?
cut Spurlock/de activate someone else and activate J.Hill!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Apparently if Jones is doing better, he will most likely be activated.

Link? That'd be great. In TC all we heard about was Smith going deep to jones.

i cant wait till he gets going
I just want to see more 3 and 4 wide reciever sets so we can get more targets onto the field and also stretch the defenses with Jones or maybe Hill. Jones and Smith had some nice chemistry going during TC ------ sure hope in shows up on game days.
I'm befuddled, bemused and beside myself. Why oh why, with how good he supposedly looked before his injury is Jones not even dressed for games? He's got good size and well above average speed and was catching everything in sight, garnering praise from the coaches. So why is an aged and obviously underperfoming Bruce palying as Jones languishes on the bench in street clothes? He must have done something to piss off Sing, cause everybody and his bro can see a lineup with Jones, Crabtree and Morgan, with Hill backing up could present the most imposing lineup of receivers we've had in years. With Bruce past his prime and Battle essentially superfluous (except of course, for his superior punt returning abilities), the B & B should be put out of business for the next generation.
I am just shocked at how great Alex Smith looked. Most importantly he looked comfortable in the pocket, made good reads, and threw the ball extremely well.

I think with 0 pressure to be the savior of a drowning franchise amidst it's absolute worst moment in history, he can just think about football and how to create opportunities to win.
Alex is the starter?

These 2 not only need to be activated,one of them needs to do the punt returning.

Both have break away speed.

Last year J.Hill had 40 passes thrown at him and he caught 30 which is quite impressive
I can't believe Jones is inactive, that is a lot of money to sit out there in street clothes. Strange move buy our front office.

Originally posted by glorydayz:
I can't believe Jones is inactive, that is a lot of money to sit out there in street clothes. Strange move buy our front office.

I bet the front office is happy that all of the 49er press has been about Crabtree, Smith, and to a certain extent VD, because the 49ers have the highest paid inactive WR, better yet, the highest paid #4 WR (if he's even ranked that high). If that gets focused in on, the front office will look like chumps
[ Edited by FourNine49 on Oct 27, 2009 at 12:46 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone