LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Hill taught Smith how to lead

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I love Shaun Hill and that he's a competitor, but the guy has limitations. Alex Smith has all of the tools (Even Mike Martz loves him) but his problem has always been leadership and having a full understanding of the offense. He's had a whole year to sit back and just learn (which is what he should have been doing since he got here) but Nolan and Company rushed him into being a starter when he wasn't ready and we didn't have a line. But Shaun Hill's style as a leader has gotten into Smith.

Well we still have major problems on the line, but the offense moved so much better with Smith in the game and they could open up the offense because he can do so much more than Hill. If the Defense knows you can't go deep....they can stack the box and play shallow and hammer our run first team, but with Crabtree and Alex's stronger arm we can do some interesting things. I think Singletary felt limited with Shaun and stayed within this limited scheme but he even said that once Shaun felt comfortable he could open it up, but they realized he can't even do that.

Jimmy Raye and the offense was going deep a lot early in the season and preseason. Hopefully we can attack more than be such as limited offense. The O looked so much better and Smith was very confident out there and VERY DECISIVE which is the key to being a good quarterback.

I think Smith is our second wind in the final 10 games.

I think Scott is also on notice for his bad drafting of Oline talent (Wallace, Baas, Rachel)......MAJOR CHANGES IN STORE NEXT SEASON.
I don't think it's related to Hill at all.

1) Healthy now.
2) More maturity.
3) More experience.
4) Gets it finally.
5) Much better skill players around him than he ever had in the past. (VD & Crabtree for example).

The O LINE is still garbage and may still get him killed before seasons end...
Whatever brought on the change, I just hope it continues. I've been an alex supporter for a while now and i'm glad he's finally doing something.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I don't think it's Hill. He was 21 and 22 years old last time he was out there full time. He is now 3 years older and looks like he figured some things out about the NFL. He didn't pout and was always meetings when he was hurt (he didn't have to be there). He works hard and I think people respect that. I also think Nolan held him back.
I don't understand why everyone is acting so surprised in Alex's performance.

The guy had a solid year in year 2 and then never really got a fair chance since while he's been healthy. Think about that...

A young QB shows real progressed and then has people holding him down. The guy took a pay cut so that he could stick and show his worth and I don't see him letting this opportunity pass.

PS...if Singletary does not start Alex then he needs to be fired...or something
I don't know if it was his QB coach, Hill, or kind of a spread offense look, but I'm just glad he was throwing on target for a change. I'm also glad that he hung around and worked with Crabtree over the bye. That couldn't have hurt either.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Smith did good, but seriously...it was 1/2 of one game.

Enough with the BS Smith is our savior threads. One game at a time with this team.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Smith did good, but seriously...it was 1/2 of one game.

Enough with the BS Smith is our savior threads. One game at a time with this team.

Agree. Definetely wanna see more. He let's the offense stretch the field so much more which could help Gore & the o-line.
Originally posted by pd24:
I don't think it's Hill. He was 21 and 22 years old last time he was out there full time. He is now 3 years older and looks like he figured some things out about the NFL. He didn't pout and was always meetings when he was hurt (he didn't have to be there). He works hard and I think people respect that. I also think Nolan held him back.

He was kind of the anti-Ryan Leaf.
Hill taught Smith how to lead?? You keep telling yourself that

did not!
WTH is this thread about?
Originally posted by HessianDud:

it is about Hillusionists trying to put Smith's success on Hill.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

it is about Hillusionists trying to put Smith's success on Hill.

that's funny, because that's what I assumed from the title, but the OP is just a mishmash of general Niner Talk topics. I guess I shouldn't be surprised...
this is the thread of the year right here.

Teamates had faith in smith in training camp, people said he was a leader but quiet in 06.

Alex smith, just grew a pair and stepped on the field and showed it.

I think its the beard.
Share 49ersWebzone