LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

Alex Smith Bandwagon

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fister30:
Alex has all of the physical tools and motivation possible to have a great year. ESPN's Merrill Hodge said the niners are not one of twelve teams that have a shot at getting to the SB because of the QB play in SF.

The Bengals made the list and SF did not because of the QB. (in his opinion) At some point Alex must want to shut these guys up.

I hope Alex can make me shut up and eat my words.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by wadjay:

I should leave it at that -- but I'll give you some generalizations and your responses, Memphis.

Generalization: Alex Smith has yet to lead us to the playoffs.

Memphis: *Alexcuses*

Generalization: Alex Smith has not produced a single winning season.

Generalization: Alex Smith has yet to perform well on a Big Game Stage.

Finally -- there has been absolutely no response from Smith supporters on the one question I have continually asked:

How can you possibly continue to support this guy? Do you like suffering through losing seasons?

I'd really like to hear some answers. Not excuses. No more of those. I've heard them all. All of us have. What is it about Alex Smith that makes you believe he will suddenly start performing well?

I can try this one.

Agreed. Neither has Frank Gore, Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis or any of the rest of our good players. I think it's foolish to suggest that the QB determines whether a team makes the playoffs.

Agreed. See my response above - this one would be identical.

Disagree. We may have a different definition of a "Big Game Stage" but he led us to a touchdown winning drive against AZ on Monday night to start out the season a few years back. Additionally, he has played well in other games that have mattered down the stretch, but his performance alone was not enough to win us some of those games.

However, if your contention is that he needs to play better in Big Games, or that he hasn't played well enough in big games, or that he simply needs to get better in general, then I agree with you.

Finally -- there has been absolutely no response from Smith supporters on the one question I have continually asked:

How can you possibly continue to support this guy? Do you like suffering through losing seasons?

This one is simple, and really, has been answered for you countless times. Alex Smith has -

1. Shown the ability to play at a high level at times (though not yet consistently).

2. Continued to show improvement every year, with all signs suggesting further improvement this offseason.

3. A good supporting cast that should help him to be more consistent and take the next step.

4. And finally, he is our starting quarterback for the foreseeable future - why shouldn't we support him?

Is it so hard to understand that someone can see Alex differently than you do?

I think it's foolish to suggest that the QB determines whether a team makes the playoffs.

Have you been watching the NFL the last 8 years?

Are you serious man? Really? Foolish to suggest that a QB determines whether a team makes the playoffs?

And you ask me how long I've been watching football?

Name me the one team that made the playoffs last year with sub-par QB play?

Other than Baltimore's win -- name me the one team that actually won a Championship with average QB play OR an average QB?

Are you serious man? You really don't believe that a QB's performance determines whether a team plays well or not?

What game are you watching sir?

The Jets.

I would even throw in the Ravens, Bengals, and Eagles, but so many people love McNabb they probably don't see that one.
Alex has all of the physical tools and motivation possible to have a great year. ESPN's Merrill Hodge said the niners are not one of twelve teams that have a shot at getting to the SB because of the QB play in SF.

The Bengals made the list and SF did not because of the QB. (in his opinion) At some point Alex must want to shut these guys up.

Me too. I would gladly eat crow for a long run into the playoffs.

Me too. I would gladly eat crow for a long run into the playoffs.

Me Five. And I know there are plenty of people in this forum who would gladly serve it to me all season long.

I should leave it at that -- but I'll give you some generalizations and your responses, Memphis.

I'd really like to hear some answers. Not excuses. No more of those. I've heard them all. All of us have. What is it about Alex Smith that makes you believe he will suddenly start performing well?

I can try this one.

Agreed. Neither has Frank Gore, Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis or any of the rest of our good players. I think it's foolish to suggest that the QB determines whether a team makes the playoffs.

Disagree. We may have a different definition of a "Big Game Stage" but he led us to a touchdown winning drive against AZ on Monday night to start out the season a few years back. Additionally, he has played well in other games that have mattered down the stretch, but his performance alone was not enough to win us some of those games.

However, if your contention is that he needs to play better in Big Games, or that he hasn't played well enough in big games, or that he simply needs to get better in general, then I agree with you.

This one is simple, and really, has been answered for you countless times. Alex Smith has -

1. Shown the ability to play at a high level at times (though not yet consistently).

2. Continued to show improvement every year, with all signs suggesting further improvement this offseason.

3. A good supporting cast that should help him to be more consistent and take the next step.

4. And finally, he is our starting quarterback for the foreseeable future - why shouldn't we support him?

I think it's foolish to suggest that the QB determines whether a team makes the playoffs.

Name the QBs you think would have got the 2005-2007 Niners in the playoffs? 2008 can't be counted because Smith couldn't play. It seems to me that if you want to argue that Smith can't get this team into the playoffs you only have last year to go on. That point is arguable. From 2005-2008 the Niners didn't have the roster to get to the playoffs and in my mind at least that point isn't arguable.

I can try this one.

Yep, and last year I watched as the Jets and Bengals made a playoff run while the Texans and Steelers stayed home. Which teams have better QBs?

Last year? The Jets and Bengals had better QB's.

I watched Rapistberger blow a game to the Raiders at home last year. Ya think Sanchez did that in New York? Ya think Palmer did that in Cincy? NOPE! Which is why Cincy won the division. Because Palmer didn't blow it.

Just goes to show -- we might be watching the same game -- but we have decidedly different outcomes on what we saw.

Actually PITT and HOU had the same winning record 9-7. A winning record. So their QB's did their job.
Originally posted by BHulman:

I can try this one.

Name the QBs you think would have got the 2005-2007 Niners in the playoffs? 2008 can't be counted because Smith couldn't play. It seems to me that if you want to argue that Smith can't get this team into the playoffs you only have last year to go on. That point is arguable. From 2005-2008 the Niners didn't have the roster to get to the playoffs and in my mind at least that point isn't arguable.

No that was not my point. I'm arguing his statement that QB's do not determine if a team goes to the playoffs.

I can try this one.

Yep, and last year I watched as the Jets and Bengals made a playoff run while the Texans and Steelers stayed home. Which teams have better QBs?

I watched Rapistberger blow a game to the Raiders at home last year. Ya think Sanchez did that in New York? Ya think Palmer did that in Cincy? NOPE! Which is why Cincy won the division. Because Palmer didn't blow it.

Just goes to show -- we might be watching the same game -- but we have decidedly different outcomes on what we saw.

Actually PITT and HOU had the same winning record 9-7. A winning record. So their QB's did their job.

So...

If Alex Smith produces a 9-7 record and the Niners miss the playoffs -- you'll be satisfied because the "QB did his job?"

Wow. I'd be pissed!

We have different expectations.

BHulman -- as for your roster argument -- I would tend to agree with you on that point.

Yeah and Romanowski was ripping him on chronicle live last night right after Papa interviewed him. He really needs to show some fire and take his game to a new level to make these people STFU. Otherwise he'll be embarrassed and so will his team.

I can try this one.

So...

If Alex Smith produces a 9-7 record and the Niners miss the playoffs -- you'll be satisfied because the "QB did his job?"

Wow. I'd be pissed!

BHulman -- as for your roster argument -- I would tend to agree with you on that point.

lol You're the same guy who thinks Sanchez played well last season. Yeah he was a rookie and that was good for a rookie, but compared to even ASmith he sucked. The only pretty good game he even had was the one vs SD where he had like 240 yards. But they MADE the playoffs for the most part in spite of him, not because of him. And even lost to a s**tty team like the Bills because of his 5 INTs in one game.

I can try this one.

So...

Wow. I'd be pissed!

No I wouldn't be satisfied but my point is if your QB plays well the team will likely win.

[ Edited by BETTERDAYZ9ERS on Aug 20, 2010 at 14:33:27 ]
Stole this from another thread I posted in...

I seriously do not understand how you can look at the 49ers over the past 4+ years and not think the state of the franchise itself has not played a part in the poor performance of our quarterback and our overall total of wins.

You call them excuses. I call them the state of our football team.

Bad drafting on the offensive side of the ball. Terrible offensive line-play. A revolving door of piss-poor wide receivers. A new coordinator every year. A head coach that knew absolutely nothing about offense. Injuries.

That's the list of "excuses," right? I seriously don't understand how these VALID problems with the 49ers over the past 4+ years are seen as "excuses" for the poor play of Alex Smith.

The first thing I say when people talk about Alex Smith is that none of the players from his rookie year are even here anymore, save for maybe 5 (including Nedney and Lee). We were THE WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. We were rebuilding our franchise from a 2-14 record. That takes time and a careful hand.

You want to blame someone? Then blame Nolan and Scotty. Nolan and Scotty did a below-par job of turning this team around properly and we're still dealing with their mistakes. With improved drafting and front office decisons, this team could have had better players in positions of need at a faster clip. That didn't happen, and it's only now that we are turning the corner and coming out of the basement.

Blame Alex? Well for some specific wins and losses, sure. Give Alex the loss vs. Tennessee in 2009. I'll give you Philly as well, and that's being somewhat charitable. You could argue Indy, but Crabs' fumble and VD's penalty for excessive celebration didn't help either. You could argue Green Bay, but that was a pretty close game!

But if you blame Alex, please blame these guys too, cause this is what it looks like when you don't have a careful hand.

Mike Nolan
Scotty Mac
Jim Hostler
Mike Martz

Kwame Harris
Brandon Lloyd
Darrell Jackson
Taylor Jacobs
Bryan Gilmore
Jonas Jennings
Brandon Williams
Bear Pascoe
Cody Wallace (his time is coming)
Maurice Hicks
Glenn Coffee
Kevin Barlow
Anthony Clement
Brandon Jones
Michael Spurlock
Johnnie Morton
Marcus Maxwell
Rasheed Marshall
Ashley Lelie

I could name the defensive guys too... Joe Cohen. Jay Moore. Kentwan Balmer. But I'm tired and I've proved my point.

It's not all Alex. There are some other guys involved too that would have helped the 49ers and Alex Smith succeed in a team sport.

You would figure that would be obvious when all 5-6 of our starting wide receivers, our 2 tight ends, and both of our offensive tackles AND guards were not drafted until 2006 at the earliest, but I guess it's not always so easy for everyone to see.

I can try this one.

This Quote is one of the all-time dumb quotes I have read here

I can try this one.

Are you serious man? Really? Foolish to suggest that a QB determines whether a team makes the playoffs?

And you ask me how long I've been watching football?

Name me the one team that made the playoffs last year with sub-par QB play?

Other than Baltimore's win -- name me the one team that actually won a Championship with average QB play OR an average QB?

Are you serious man? You really don't believe that a QB's performance determines whether a team plays well or not?

What game are you watching sir?

A few things.

First, rolling smileys aside, I never asked you how long you've been watching football, nor have I ever questioned your football intelligence in any way.

Second, as I pointed out, the Jets made the playoffs with a poor quarterback last year.

But, more importantly, the question isn't whether bad quarterbacks make the playoffs, it's whether good quarterbacks miss the playoffs.

As I noted with both Pittsburgh and Houston last year, the answer is yes. You can confirm that by looking at the league in any given season. A team with a very good quarterback can still miss the playoffs. In fact, it can still lose more games than it wins.

So I'll stand by my statement - a quarterback does not determine whether a team makes the playoffs.

Is the quarterback important? Yes. Is it the most important position in football? Yes. Does the play of the quarterback effect the play of the rest of the team? Absolutely.

Do quarterbacks make the playoffs? No. Teams do.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Stole this from another thread I posted in...

I seriously do not understand how you can look at the 49ers over the past 4+ years and not think the state of the franchise itself has not played a part in the poor performance of our quarterback and our overall total of wins.

You call them excuses. I call them the state of our football team.

Bad drafting on the offensive side of the ball. Terrible offensive line-play. A revolving door of piss-poor wide receivers. A new coordinator every year. A head coach that knew absolutely nothing about offense. Injuries.

That's the list of "excuses," right? I seriously don't understand how these VALID problems with the 49ers over the past 4+ years are seen as "excuses" for the poor play of Alex Smith.

The first thing I say when people talk about Alex Smith is that none of the players from his rookie year are even here anymore, save for maybe 5 (including Nedney and Lee). We were THE WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. We were rebuilding our franchise from a 2-14 record. That takes time and a careful hand.

You want to blame someone? Then blame Nolan and Scotty. Nolan and Scotty did a below-par job of turning this team around properly and we're still dealing with their mistakes. With improved drafting and front office decisons, this team could have had better players in positions of need at a faster clip. That didn't happen, and it's only now that we are turning the corner and coming out of the basement.

Blame Alex? Well for some specific wins and losses, sure. Give Alex the loss vs. Tennessee in 2009. I'll give you Philly as well, and that's being somewhat charitable. You could argue Indy, but Crabs' fumble and VD's penalty for excessive celebration didn't help either. You could argue Green Bay, but that was a pretty close game!

But if you blame Alex, please blame these guys too, cause this is what it looks like when you don't have a careful hand.

Mike Nolan
Scotty Mac
Jim Hostler
Mike Martz

Kwame Harris
Brandon Lloyd
Darrell Jackson
Taylor Jacobs
Bryan Gilmore
Jonas Jennings
Brandon Williams
Bear Pascoe
Cody Wallace (his time is coming)
Maurice Hicks
Glenn Coffee
Kevin Barlow
Anthony Clement
Brandon Jones
Michael Spurlock
Johnnie Morton
Marcus Maxwell
Rasheed Marshall
Ashley Lelie

I could name the defensive guys too... Joe Cohen. Jay Moore. Kentwan Balmer. But I'm tired and I've proved my point.

It's not all Alex. There are some other guys involved too that would have helped the 49ers and Alex Smith succeed in a team sport.

You would figure that would be obvious when all 5-6 of our starting wide receivers, our 2 tight ends, and both of our offensive tackles AND guards were not drafted until 2006 at the earliest, but I guess it's not always so easy for everyone to see.

That's funny. It's everyone of those guys fault but Alex's. How come he can't be thrown in there? It's excused if he plays bad because of them???
Share 49ersWebzone