LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 132 users in the forums

49ers a candidate to move to the Los Angeles area

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SS2K8
  • Veteran
As long as the Jaguars exist, I doubt we ever become the team or teams to fill the LA void.
why can't another team be made down there?

Like a new team?

NY, NJ, Buffalo, Phi, N.E. all have a very close perimeter,

yet Oregon, and Nevada of all places,and Utah do not have a football team
  • SS2K8
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Like a new team?

I don't think the NFL wants to expand past 32 teams unless its for an expansion team overseas. With 32 teams, the schedule practically writes itself, 33 or 34 teams turns the scheduling back into a nightmare and you end up with some teams not playing each other for years on end. Also, in this economic climate it makes more sense than ever to rob a small market of a struggling team and move it to LA rather than expand.
Originally posted by SS2K8:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Like a new team?

I don't think the NFL wants to expand past 32 teams unless its for an expansion team overseas. With 32 teams, the schedule practically writes itself, 33 or 34 teams turns the scheduling back into a nightmare and you end up with some teams not playing each other for years on end. Also, in this economic climate it makes more sense than ever to rob a small market of a struggling team and move it to LA rather than expand.
But wouldn't another team generate more chobs' , as Arnie would say?
Originally posted by B650:
Real talk, L.A. doesn't deserve the 49ers. Do you see Dodger fans? They're all airheads with the IQ of a snail who don't know English and don't know baseball. I don't want my team moving somewhere where the fans can't appreciate them. f**k L.A.

Wow, that's a gross generalization. By gross I mean disgusting. Which of the Dodger fans are you talking about that don't know English? Plus we certainly seem to appreciate our Lakers.
Originally posted by SS2K8:
As long as the Jaguars exist, I doubt we ever become the team or teams to fill the LA void.

Exactly. I definitely see the Jaqs moving here before us. I'm not even completely at ease with us leaving from San Francisco to Santa Clara, but my Bay Area friends told me it's not too far away. BTW, isn't the Santa Clara move almost a done deal?
LA Rams.
  • SS2K8
  • Veteran
I think the question is when the Jags and Chargers play next year, which team is gonna be designated the home team and get screwed out of the extra home game.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Real talk, L.A. doesn't deserve the 49ers. Do you see Dodger fans? They're all airheads with the IQ of a snail who don't know English and don't know baseball. I don't want my team moving somewhere where the fans can't appreciate them. f**k L.A.

Wow, that's a gross generalization. By gross I mean disgusting. Which of the Dodger fans are you talking about that don't know English? Plus we certainly seem to appreciate our Lakers.

Wow B650 and San Fran really does deserve the 49ers? What have the city done to them other than disrespect the best franchise San Fran has had? Absolutely nothing I'm glad they are moving out of that town they deserve the best.

Your analogy of Dodger fans is disgusting and not to mentioned descrimination/racism. Your as senile as Al Davis as well! You should be baned from this site a.s.a.p.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by geturembedder:
The Niners however are greatly loved in LA. Win win for everyone involved. Maybe there won't be so many Packer fans in the stadium now.

Yeah I'm going to have to disagree with this. You make it sound like there are a great number of 49er fans in LA, saying "greatly loved." No friggin' way.

I live in Santa Monica. LA is a melting pot. You've got your Mexican-Raider fans, the small few that have adopted the San Diego Chargers, and then a giant mix of everything.

If I was to pick which team has the biggest LA-fanbase, I would probably guess the Giants and Jets. Lots of NY transplants here. Then I would bet on Dallas, Pittsburgh, and Chicago. New England in the mix too.

There is absolutely not a major 49er fanbase in LA. I do not see 49er gear in LA except on Sundays at the sports bar, and 49er fans are never the majority.

LA is an NFL-melting pot, save for Raiders fans.

Dude first of all you live in Santa Monica and you obsolete with anything you see. Anything west of LA are idiots no offense. I got family that live there and there all Raider fans. They still think bo jackson is still playing that ain't fans those are idiots. There is a huge 49er fanbase in the LA area including orange county, riverside and san bernardino believe me I know. Los Angeles will accept any team that wants to come and represent the city we have always been the people that support our teams and history show it.

Wow.

First, punctuation and grammar. Try it. "Obsolete" is not a verb.

Next, I've lived in Santa Monica for five years now. I went to college in LA for 4 years before that. I have many intelligent friends who live in Santa Monica area and follow football like a religion. I work at the NFL Network in Culver City. Naturally, all of my co-workers are football fans. I don't think any of these people in my life are idiots and most of them live on the westside. So try to readjust your perspective before you attack where I live.

Los Angeles is, by and large, a melting pot. 49er fans are just another part of a greater group of various NFL fans in Los Angeles. They are not of a significant number more than the average NFL franchise. A majority of LA fans are indeed Raider fans. This is a fact.

The bolded section of your response is downright hilarious. LA will support any team that wants to come and represent the city? Perhaps you don't remember when the Raiders played at the LA Colosseum... when over half the stadium was consistently empty for a majority of their time there. This is not an exaggeration, this is a fact man. The Raiders in LA were overall a commercial failure.

Or how about we talk about the Los Angeles Express? Do you know who they were? You should... it's where Steve Young started his professional football career in the USFL. The Express were by and far the lowest draw in terms of attendance in the 3-year history of the USFL. And other cities, like Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, and New York, were drawing huge crowds for their games. LA was by and far the worst city for the USFL in terms of fan support. Again, this is a fact. I'm not trying to spin anything here.

LA is fickle with it's sports... they support winners and little else. I expect you debate that, but I've heard it all before. LA is simply not a sports town; it's a city driven by entertainment. Lakers sell tickets because they win and they have Kobe Bryant. Dodgers and Angels sell tickets when they are winning (but the traffic is so bad that Dodger games are usually 1/2 empty until the 4th inning on week days). The Clippers are not winning, and therefore as a result (surprise!) they don't sell tickets.

So, to summarize...
1. Grammar. Please. I know it's a football forum, but it's easier to communicate when I can understand what you are saying.
2. I personally hate Los Angeles, but I love Santa Monica & Venice. I am very happy here, working and living with my friends who work in sports and happen to not be idiots. They know just as much as you do about football. Readjust your perspective.
3. LA is a melting pot. There is simply not a significant Niner fan contingent more than the average NFL team. I see no evidence of this in Los Angeles, on the westside and beyond.
4. LA does not have a good history with supporting professional football. That's a fact sir.

Lastly, San Bernadino is NOT Los Angeles. It's friggin' San Bernadino man. It's not like you can be in San Bernadino and say "Hey, let's go check out a Dodger game after work." I mean, it's a WAYS out there.

You can kind of get away saying Riverside is in LA, but it's same situation. And Orange County is Orange County. You are really stretching it saying those cities are in the "LA Area."

I'll give you Orange County (kind of), but San Bernadino being IN Los Angeles? No way sir.

Dude First of all I can care less about grammar it's not English class it's a blog and that's the exact reason why the west side of LA are dumb they think they know it all. You know what I mean and that is all that matters. I'm not making an issue on your spelling cause I don't care I know what you mean. Like I said my family is from Santa Monica and they think they are all bad that is it. For the most part people around there are rude and think there better than everyone. Orange county has nicer beaches than LA County does I don't know why people out there think they're all that.

I don't know what your talking about are your mad because your the furthest away from where the stadium is being built which is around San Bernardino/Riverside area so don't be mad cause u probably won't make the drive anyway. Orange county is even closer the 57 takes u straight there while I stay by the 60 fwy. The point is there is a lot of 49ers fans here in the surrounding areas when you say there is not.

Los Angeles has changed bro the people are different now than then. I was a kid when all that happened and my dad went through it. The LA coliseum is a terrible place to play football I don't blame them for leaving, Place is falling apart. If they built it a team will come and we will welcome them with open arms because football is the #1 sport in the Nation. You don't know how long I've been waiting for this moment I've rooted for the 49ers since 9 both the Raiders and Rams had left and hated them for it. I'm happy I can finally expect a team to come and represent L.A.

No one cares about the USFL bro just like no one care about the Arena Football league and it fell through so please don't compare leagues. NFL is the NFL for a reason it has the best players, coaches and owners.

your last statement is just terrible we support winners only? Dude please dodgers have not been in the playoffs for almost 20 yrs but yet our attendance always was high so get your info straight before you speak as well as the Lakers in the mid 90's. You can only root for one team bro I don't root for the angels so that statement is dumb.

Yes we might be late for the game but we wait hours in traffic just to watch the game? That's commitment bro I don't know what else u see. Not our fault this city has a terrible freeway system. Bottom line we always show up win or lose the attendance shows. What do u think sports are? There entertainment dude what are u talking about? Are you really thinking about what you are saying?

That saying having a team move to LA is going to be a great thing for the city and economy and as far as I heard it might even be 2 teams moving here and wouldn't be surprised. What your saying makes no sense and if you don't like it here then leave easy as that cause you don't know nothing about the big picture you my friend is stuck on ignorance sorry.

They were just eliminated from the playoffs like 2 days ago, bro. Come on dude, like get your facts straight man. Gnarly.

Are you serious? Were talking about before the past 2 yrs? we have been terrible but still our fans showed support. Dude you should know better.

Well, here's what's up. The Dodgers have a storied franchise. L.A. doesn't have a football team. Baseball tickets are cheap. Do the math. The team might do well attendance wise in baseball, but that doesn't mean it will translate to all sports. Look at the Clippers, for example.

Also, NFL tickets are more pricey than MLB tickets. I don't know if all those little kids running around trying to be gangsters in L.A. can afford NFL tickets, which could explain why nobody went to go see the Raiders when they were in L.A.

All of this is moot because the 49ers aren't leaving the Bay Area. But you guys don't need us. You can have your Raiders and their 3 rings back, plus as a bonus, you can have your Rams back and their 1 ring. I mean, that's only 1 shy of the 49ers.

I know you mean no harm bro and my beef was with the Santa Monica dude that is as senile as Al Davis.

This coming from the guy who's user name is Jack Mehoff.

Now you wanna make fun of my name? Dude your a jerk and don't know what your talking about. Weather you like it or not, the 49ers are moving out of San Fran.

We're done, but I never said anything about being upset concerning a possible move for the 49ers. Santa Clara is fine with me. It's pretty obvious the team won't be moving to LA. The Yorks don't want to move the team... it's their decision.

My overall point (again) was Los Angeles has a poor history of supporting professional football (fact) and does not have a larger than average contingent of 49er fans waiting to support a potential move (fact). Have a good life.

Prove it! Cause really your wasting my time and don't know nothing about the Los Angeles area go back where u came from before you speak Al Davis.

Share 49ersWebzone